Turning Red, First Pixar film set in Canada

Administrator
Staff member
Turning Red is an upcoming Pixar film about a young Chinese-Canadian girl  who experience a Puberty like no other. Mei-lee (Rosalie Chiang) was the typical teenage girl. She loves to hang out with her friends and fangirl to boybands.  She also experiences pressure because she has the typical strict mom (Sandra Oh) with high expectations. Despite that, she loves social life and she is excited for the new school year. Little did she know, her family has an ancient secret. Her family has a connection with Red Pandas.
It could be a curse but it could also be a blessing but she hates it. She doesn’t want to turn into a giant orange relative of the raccoon. Whenever she gets excited or feels intense emotions, she is turning red. She turns into a Red Panda. At first, she...

Continue reading...

Her Red Panda form is so cute. I wonder if they will sell it as plushies. It feels weird that early 2000s is now portrayed as the past. Just like how I see Black and White movies a child.

Netflix's official channel decided to make the documentary Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom available for free. According to what I've heard, this is a semi-autobiographical representation of Domee Shi's life. As an immigrant, she had attempted to reconcile her dual identities as a Canadian and a Chinese. The Panda shape represents her Chinese side, which she sought to hide to fit in at school. This movie is essentially a symbol of everything she had been through while in Canada. They fictionalize everything, of course, by incorporating some fantasy.

The Kung Fu Irish Princess
Really like how this movie actually shows what it's like to be a teen and doesn't ignore periods or how many teenage girls change. I like how this film is set in the early 2000's. The clothing, the music, and the whole setting are literally a throwback to the days when things used to be a bit simpler.I appreciate how this film depicts what it's like to be a teen, including periods and how many adolescent ladies change. This film's setting in the early 2000s appeals to me. The attire, the music, and the entire scene are all a throwback to a simpler time.

Casting actual teenagers made the experience of watching more authentic. These are real teenagers not those 30 year hold horny dogs from Riverdale. Real teenagers are awkward, emotional and having an identity crisis between being a child and being an adult. Growing up with helicopter parents made me relate to Mei Li.

Watching documentaries about Red Panda after I watched this movie. I don't get the negative criticism this movie got because the critics sounded like they never watched it. They are just hating because of the culture represented is not theirs.

Disney use to orphan their main characters. Now they are giving them generational trauma and estranged relationships with their parents. It All started with Brave when it got followed by Coco and Encanto.

My Mom is like Mei Mei's Mom. She embarrassed me in front of my classmates so many times.