It's over 8,000!
That's you.

without the fight scenes from Zyuranger I would never have continued or bothered with this genre.

It's all aboot the fighting my friend, not the trees in the background.

Story is obviously important but I've gone through enough shitty story episodes that have solid fights. Which totally kills a shitty fight scene episode with a good story.

I see you like explosions.

ah. different people watch tokusatsu for different reasons..

Yeah.

That's you.

without the fight scenes from Zyuranger I would never have continued or bothered with this genre.

It's all aboot the fighting my friend, not the trees in the background.

Story is obviously important but I've gone through enough shitty story episodes that have solid fights. Which totally kills a shitty fight scene episode with a good story.

ah. different people watch tokusatsu for different reasons..

Very much this. You may be all about the fight choreography and that's great for you but that just doesn't cut it for me. I need my cinematography fix.

I always thought the main problem with U7X was not that it was "too dark" but that it was too shallow visually and didn't hit its stride in terms of story until the final few episodes, though I absolutely loved the final fight he had taking down those spiders...mainly because it reminds me of a scene from my favorite Digimon movie. It felt like it was dark for the sake of being dark, like the true intention of the show was lost somewhere in production.

I am a huge Philip K. Dick fan and so the dystopian, not-quite-cyberpunk atmosphere of the series really struck a chord for me and I really loved the episodic take that they decided to go with. I would've dug a more focused, 12-episode story arc too but the episodic format (when done well) has always been one of my favorite things about the Ultra series. The atmosphere of Seven X allowed for a different variety of stories to be told than the typical fare.

What I find interesting as far as the "darkness" of the show is that it was dark in... well not just because it took place at night a lot. Compare it to Nexus: Nexus was all gloom and doom for most of its run but it was ultimately a typical Ultra series at heart in that it was still pretty black and white about the nature of good and evil within the series and good triumphs in the end. Seven X has that to an extent too (it IS an Ultra series) but it is ultimately a much more cynical show that explores more gray areas while also being imbued with a very subtle but very funny sense of humor that Nexus never touched until Ren was introduced.

However, I think we'll always just have to agree to disagree on this matter, Mr. Kurenai.

I guess since I'm not the biggest cinamatography buff (Dai, you're a film student, right?)...

I'm an art major, actually, but also a filmmaker with hopes to one day make a career out of that. The art major part makes me a HUGE stickler for elegance and beauty in film.

Honestly I was just glad to see a new take on tokusatsu, at least new for me, I've no idea if a show like that has been done in the past.

This is one of the reasons that I really appreciate the show despite my gripes. The sheer variety in Tsuburaya's work is my favorite thing about them.

That said, yes, the low budget look thanks to the stupid visual translation system was...very annoying. (I don't mind the sound-stages, but it felt like that damn system hampered creativity) You know it's bad when you're hyped because the cast is on location rather than in a set.

Yeah, it was really sad. I am unbelievably happy that they seem to have forgotten this notion of visual translation in favor of being truly creative again.

More than anything, I loved that it started this whole...thing that's lasted for a few years and is all about building the literal Ultra Galaxy. It always felt like nothing special to me in the past because we really only got mentions of stuff most of the time, but the last couple of shows and movies have given us a real galaxy and it seems like that's just going to keep on being built upon. It feels like an immense universe were so much is going on and that's what I've absolutely loved about the last three years or so of the franchise.

Again, despite my gripes I simply cannot deny the truth in this statement. I too love how expansive the "Ultra Galaxy" has become in recent years and though I would love to see a new series set back on Earth, I wouldn't complain if the series continued in this direction for some time to come.

Unfortunately the only recent Ultra series I've seen was Mebius. But I loved it, as a fan of the classic Ultra series something like Mebius was right up my alley.
I liked Max too, particularly since it was the first Ultra series to offer a conclusion for the main characters (I'm not counting Tiga, that took place in movies). I would love to see Ultra Galaxy just to see all the classic monsters.

It's over 8,000!
Tiga basically was concluded in the last episode. There's just more later. The movie isn't necessary.

Eye See You
Tiga basically was concluded in the last episode. There's just more later. The movie isn't necessary.

Very true. To this day I put Tiga's finale right up there with likes of Countdown to Destruction, End of Time, etc..

Now I really do hope that it won't be too long before the next series, I think the franchise has done a good job with their properties lately, but I would absolutely love a new series. I had even thought that one could be made off the Ultimate Force Zero that Zero's building in his movie, but I don't think anyone would really fund a new show based on old characters, unless they all get new forms right off the bat. But, yeah, new series, dammit! Ultraman, Ultra Galaxy, older characters, just a new series would be great. I'm hoping it's not too much of a wild dream now that it seems the Tsuburaya sale has settled.

Is Tsuburaya continuing with the Ultra Brothers continuity in the coming future, or will there be another "Tiga/Dyna/Gaia/Cosmos" type show some day?

That's you.

It's all about the fighting my friend, not the trees in the background.

So this is why you think even the worst shows are so awesome. It all comes down to the "flash" factor.

You may be all about the fight choreography and that's great for you but that just doesn't cut it for me. I need my cinematography fix.

There are plenty of media out there with action. It's not exclusive to toku. So I don't see how you can cite action as the sole reason to watch this genre, there has to be something more unique to catch your attention.

There are plenty of media out there with action. It's not exclusive to toku. So I don't see how you can cite action as the sole reason to watch this genre, there has to be something more unique to catch your attention.

Are you talking to me, man? :eyebrow:

I am happy to see another person who doesn’t see Mebius as God's gift to man. First of all, YES I actually like Mebius too. I love the show, I love the characters, and I think that as an anniversary show, it does its job very well.

But it IS overrated. People who praise Mebius always talk about the team-up episodes and the Tsurugi arc. But they forget that those were only a very small part of the show. All the other episodes were filler.
The show felt like it used all its creativity in the beginning, then ran out of steam midway through.

The character development was so-so. We did get a proper background for all the characters, but we barely learned anything about their personal lives outside their hobbies or jobs. It was quite poor for an Ultraman show.

Speaking of the characters, I really didn't like the GUYS crew. I am not a big fan of "inexperienced everyday-people become special soldiers"
The team always had to rely too much on convenient stuff, such as Marina's super-hearing, Geroge's super sight etc.
Compared to other defense teams, GUYS is easily one of the weakest. In every episode it was the same:

"We have a great plan on how to defeat this monster!"
*5 mins later*
"Oh no! The plan isn't working!"
*Enter Mebius*

Now as for the story itself. Mebius was a mixed bag of candies for me. There were some very good episodes that had everything a fan could wish for. Then we had episodes that could easily be skipped.
I am not a fluent Japanese speaker, so I am not sure if the subs are to blame for this, but didn't some of the dialogue come off as a bit weird or nonsensical?
I am referring to all the techno babble and overuse of engrish. Sometimes it sounds cool ,other times it just leaves you scratching your head thinking "What the hell did they just talk about?" (And no, I was not watching the HK subs)

I loved seeing the old actors return. Great fan-service. Though, I wished that all those episodes could have been like Ultraman 80's episode.
He was the only showa Ultraman who actually got some focus. The other Ultraman did not do much, other than help out. 80's episode actually FOCUSED on 80!

Mebius is a great anniversary show, but it is nowhere near as good as Tiga, Gaia, Nexus or Max.
I love it because it is one of my first Ultraman shows, and it showed some really good writing at times. It just didn't show it enough.

I am happy to see another person who doesn’t see Mebius as God's gift to man.

Likewise, yo! Mebius started out really strong but really fizzled out about midway through. It remained a fun, enjoyable show to the end but it was nothing compared to Max or Nexus.

Also, revealing Mirai's identity to GUYS halfway through was an AWESOME idea that... didn't really ever go anywhere.

Max was mostly filler as well though. Between the two I found Moebius to have the more enjoyable cast (as long as we're excluding the anniversary-related stuff and focusing just on both shows' content).

Are you talking to me, man? :eyebrow:

I was positively commenting on your comment.