True Detective

After finishing the season a few weeks back, True Detective has got to be one of the most poignant and interesting shows that I've seen in a long time. This season in particular, with exceptional casting of Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey, was chilling yet intriguing all at the same time. There were some gruesome scenes, but in a way I found it refreshing to see something a little bold on television these days. Shows are getting so repetitive and predictable nowadays and it was nice for True Detective to come along and stir things up a little bit.

This is another of HBOs hit shows, and I think it's beginning to signal a shift away from the typical network shows and the focus on niche, high budget mini series (which could in all senses be made into movies instead). What do you guys think about this show? Do you think that HBOs model will eventually be the future of television?

True Detective was amazing and I can't wait until I get to see it again. I think we may be entering a sort of golden age of television where the medium is given as much respect as film and we see more film actors trying out TV and not thinking of it as a downgrade. I definitely prefer shorter better produced shows. I'm tired of police procedurals with 25 episodes a season for 15 years that are almost all the same. I would much rather have 8-13 well produced episodes in a show that also knows how it plans on ending (I'm looking at you, Lost). So hopefully the success of True Detective will lead to more shows like this!