General Discussion Travel or tourist?

I think it's safe to say that most of us enjoy traveling, and if money were no object we would probably travel more. But how seriously do you take your traveling? Do you like to immerse yourself completely in the culture- embracing the language and traditions, finding off the path little book shops and secret treasures? Or do you prefer to stick to the travel guide version, with guided tours and main tourist attractions only?

I'd have to say the prior. What's the point of travelling, if you only go to the place where everyone else goes? You're there to explore! Learn something that you can't from a handbook or voucher! The only way to do that is to mingle with the locals and try to find out more about the culture and what's life like there, you know?

I'd have to say the prior. What's the point of travelling, if you only go to the place where everyone else goes? You're there to explore! Learn something that you can't from a handbook or voucher! The only way to do that is to mingle with the locals and try to find out more about the culture and what's life like there, you know?

That's how I feel as well :). I mean to each their own, I don't judge those who are more into superficial traveling, but it seems like such a waste to me...when you have the chance to do so much more.

I like to experience something more than the tourist attractions and books have to offer. I want to see what a culture is like and find out a little more about the people living there, so I can tell other people what the people in the X country are. Usually when you visit a country and you do just the stuff from the book, you don't experience the country fully and that bothers me a lot.

I like travelling on my own more. I don't know why but I feel like it is more relaxing.
You don't have to be in a rush all the time. To be honest, I feel like I lose freedom if I am travelling with a tour guide. SO,,, why do I have to pay for losing freedom??

I like traveling own my own. I like to move at my own pace and see the world the way that I way that I want to see it. I think having others with you and going full tourist mode can really hinder how you enjoy your vacations. Tour guides take you where they want to take you and you have to pay for it! I would rather walk around for free (especially in Europe) and see everything that I want to see.