It's Judgement Time!
The last time I heard someone make comments like Spielberg did, we got Jar Jar.

I dont see how that's relevant. Steven is nothing like Lucas and Bumblebee (even in this movie incarnation from what we can tell by interviews, reaction articles, and clips) is nothing like Jar Jar Binks.

On a side note, once I get my room set up, I'm thinking of doing some vids, mostly doing character studies on various TF characters.

Oh boy.. Here we go. Studies? All you have to do is watch a few episodes and you'll know them all. Their personalities were never deeper than what they showed you. There was no subtlety in the old Transformers cartoon so why would you need to do studies.. What would be the point of studies, btw? There are probably a dozen TF fanboy sites out there who have already done your job. Including comic and cartoon bios. You're just trying to give yourself a sense of righteousness over the production of the movie by saying "I know more about Geewun than you do, Bay! So my opinion MATTERS!"

Sorry JABR if Im sounding like an ass, I know you mean well. Just saying.

Lurker
There was no subtlety in the old Transformers cartoon

Wrong. As usual.

Don't listen to him JABR, watch those episodes, you'll find those characters. And yes, whilst there ARE TF fans, who have done plenty of reserch already, nothing beats examining the characters whilst having fun watching the older episodes. There's no "righteous" act in that, just the actions of a real fan

Last edited:
And you know this how? When did you become the producer for the movie, or did you just ask Bay directly how he hoped the audiences would react?
When the film gives you a bunch of alien robots strictly from the humans POV with only a handful of lines and no characterization, it's not hard to deduce what it's trying to do.

The problem is, not everyone is going JUST for the explosions. There are actually some people who look for movies to have good stories.
No kidding! What do you think my problem is? I'm one of those people.

Now steven has had his share of bad luck movie wise.
Howard The Duck anyone. Granted this is one of his films he wish would vanish.

And some of the old g1 figs had personality. For ex. Hound, & Beachcomber to name a few.

JFC

♥ 大好き ♥
When the film gives you a bunch of alien robots strictly from the humans POV with only a handful of lines and no characterization, it's not hard to deduce what it's trying to do.
You're not deducing though. You're just guessing based on what you are personally expecting from the few scenes (which amount to less than 10 min of acutal footage) that have been shown in previews. You don't know what was going on in their minds when they were making this movie. Unless you were actually there or unless you actually talked to them face to face and they told you, there's no way you could.

In the end, not everyone's going to be satisfied with how it turns out, no matter how much discussion takes place. The best thing that people should do, bottom line, is try to hold off on making their judgements/preconceptions for now as best they can and actually just watch the movie when it comes out. If you genuinely like it then, then you do, if not, then you don't.

Last edited:
I dont see how that's relevant. Steven is nothing like Lucas and Bumblebee (even in this movie incarnation from what we can tell by interviews, reaction articles, and clips) is nothing like Jar Jar Binks.

But Bumblebee doesn't sound or come across like the Bumblebee we know and I don't know how he is characterized is going to translate well.

Oh boy.. Here we go. Studies? All you have to do is watch a few episodes and you'll know them all. Their personalities were never deeper than what they showed you. There was no subtlety in the old Transformers cartoon so why would you need to do studies.. What would be the point of studies, btw? There are probably a dozen TF fanboy sites out there who have already done your job. Including comic and cartoon bios. You're just trying to give yourself a sense of righteousness over the production of the movie by saying "I know more about Geewun than you do, Bay! So my opinion MATTERS!"

Sorry JABR if Im sounding like an ass, I know you mean well. Just saying.

Well that is your opinion and I respect it and yes there is some truth to what you're saying since I would be giving my opinion of what the character is but I do think you're generalizing to some degree on the characters.

Take Hound for example. He's very different from the rest of the Autobots in some important ways.

For The Greater Justice...
But Bumblebee doesn't sound or come across like the Bumblebee we know and I don't know how he is characterized is going to translate well.

That's the thing though... He's not the Bumblebee we know. It's not G1. He's supposed to be different from the Bumblebee we're familiar with.

JustAnotherBlueRanger said:
Take Hound for example. He's very different from the rest of the Autobots in some important ways.

Same as above. I'm sure the Autobots and Decepticons are gonna have stark and contrasting personalities but they're not supposed to be the ones we're all familiar with. The movie is it's own thing, it's own universe and continuity. It's not a live action version of G1.

It's Judgement Time!

Well that is your opinion and I respect it and yes there is some truth to what you're saying since I would be giving my opinion of what the character is but I do think you're generalizing to some degree on the characters.

Well we havent seen the movie though, have we. So it's unfair to the movie to judge Bumblebee so early. He might be just as great and likeable as the G1 version. In fact, I'm going to bet on it. He's never going to be or emulate the original G1 Bumble. He isnt the original bumblebee. He's a new one, a different one. But I think he'll be just as fun and entertaining.

I'm not trying to generalize the characters of G1. I know they are all diverse, but there's nothing to study about them. The characters are paper thin, you could read them like a book in their respective episodes. You got the "head strong autobot" the "Gruff but loveable autobot" "by the books autobot" etc etc. They truly arent characters that can be studied for hidden detail is what I'm getting at.

But you know the original G1 cartoons are great so might as well watch them and enjoy anyways. I know I rewatch a few episodes of S1 every now and then.

Yeah but y'know what, Z? They have to do it that way. Us Trans fans aren't gonna be the ones that make the movie do 100 million or more. They have to make it acceptable to the mainstream. The mainstream audience is where the money is. Sure, we count for something but the hardcore audience can't do it alone, so why are they gonna try to cater to us for every little thing we want. We'll never be happy anyway. We care about the robots we grew up with but the casual movie go-er can't sympathize with giant robots though they sure as hell can relate to humans that are about to see their world get trampled. I'm sure that if the movie is successful and spawns a sequel then maybe there will be more leeway into giving us the stuff that make us happy. The majority of fans are so dead set on hating this flick that no matter how good it might turn out to be, they're gonna wind up hating it anyway.

I'll be keeping an open mind and I'm not gonna hate it because they're not the Transformers I grew up with.

Case and point. Trans-fans will not be the ones making this movie a blockbuster hit. They will only amount to a 1/50th of a fraction in the ultimate scheme. Most of the people going to see this movie either havent seen or cared about TF or only saw the original cartoons and didnt watch beyond their childhood years. In order for this movie to sell it has to make sense to THOSE people and not to fans. It has to appeal to THEM and not YOU.

Be a "true fan" all you want, Sky Knight. In the end, some of us will go into the theater and come out smiling and happy. You'll just be by yourself, bitter, angry, and alone with nothing but a Message Board that will listen to your rantings and labels.

Banned
i hope see crazy talking dinobots and targetmasters and headmasters in transfomers the movie