Digital Artist
It is boring to me. I don't feel excited to watch it. Even when I do watch it, it feels like a chore. Disappointing show and I wonder how Saban will adapt assuming it doesn't get skipped.

The new Tendou Souji
I don't see what is so disrespectful about appreciating how much better someone becomes by the end of the show.

There's nothing wrong with that but.. what I read was "Honestly the biggest payoff every year for me in Sentai, is seeing them go from crappy actors to serviceable ones." implying that if the actor's already good (and stays good) then it's well, not as good a result to you -- which is why I thought it was kinda lame to say since it'd blow off a lot of toku actors.

2. And? I was well aware of that, that is something that Urobuchi Gen cannot control, nor decide.
They way you worded it, it sounded like you didn't know why it happened. Simple mistake there.

4. Like it or not, I don't think I need to go through the beaten to death argument of oh well they need toy sales, therefore what can we do?
I was just being a jerk about that... I don't like the toy onslaught either but I know if I posted something negative about them, someone would chime in with some giant guilt trip like "They need toy money though, do you want toku to die!?" or whatever.

D

Dr Kain

Kingoo certainly did, and since he's the star, the show suffered for it -- he took everything down with him. Daigo was the first stupid, pulled-from-an-anime Red since Sousuke/Go-on Red. I thought we were finally rid of those...

Yes, but that is only one ranger out of all 10. All of the ToQGers act like that. I had already said Daigo was my only issue with Kyoryuger. The thing is though, Kyoryuger was 90% story driven as it really only had filler like every 6-7 episodes, and that filler would only be 1-2 episodes.

Yes, but that is only one ranger out of all

They all did it to varying degrees. The whole show is one big sugar rush.

All of the ToQGers act like that.

No they don't. What show are you watching?

The thing is though, Kyoryuger was 90% story driven.

A very "we're not even hiding it" derivative story that sometimes felt like clip shows of other Sentais with different actors. (Someone might argue that they could be homages, but that's not how they felt when I watched it. It just left me going, for example, "why are they copying Loki's story from Gaoranger right down to having a Pteradeinoh Evil?") But even saying that, the show is less story-driven than it is a reverse Dairanger, where we take breaks from the zaniness to focus on story, and then back to regularly scheduled wacky hijinks.

Or maybe we just don't care what those other Sentai did because they were more than 10 years ago?

Do you realistically think any Sentai writer/producer will come to the drawing table, write out a scene based on some formula, and think that "Oh, but those adults will surely complain about how it's been done better before, let's think of something else"? They're not going to do that. It's a colossal waste of time.

Your condescending attitude doesn't contribute anything to the thread.

I've explained over and over what I mean by Kyoryuger's choice of method of repetition, and you continually refuse to get it.

Your condescending attitude doesn't contribute anything to the thread.

I've explained over and over what I mean by Kyoryuger's choice of method of repetition, and you continually refuse to get it.

I get it just fine, and I still know it's a such an irrelevant nitpick to make. Sometimes you make a valid criticism, but most of the time it's the same of these nitpicks that absolutely make no sense. Or sometimes you totally not get it at all.

Keeping on comparing 2010+ Sentai to late 1990s and early 2000s Sentai is such a pointless exercise. When that's the crux of your criticism, I'll keep on pointing it out.

And it's not like you're even comparing technical merits or whatnot. It's just such subjective incoherent trash like "It's an exact copy but it's different in many ways but the old one just did it better. I'm just gonna call it a ripoff nonetheless", or "These characters are all annoying".

Well I can call your constant wave-offs of certain criticisms as "the kids like it, you people act like 17-year olds, get over yourselves" trash too. But that won't get us anywhere, would it?

Another unpopular opinion but...I think people severely overrate the significance of writing in Sentai. There's limits to what writers can do based on the toys they are given to play with, literally and figuratively.
I think we (and I'm absolutely including myself in this) often forget that the roles of staff members on Sentai are not quite the same as with western TV shows. It's the series' producer that makes most of the main creative decisions, and the writer takes those ideas (plus the basic Sentai episode formula) and turns them into individual episodes. Sure there's a bit of back and forth, but ultimately the writer is largely bound by what the producer wants to do. And the producer's job is to make 3-5 year old kids want to buy Bandai products. That's the yardstick they are measured by. It's also the fire a lot of senior staffers were forged in during the 90s, when Sentai's financial success saved it from going the way of Metal Hero and the Fushigi Comedies (and later driven home again by the Hibiki screwjob).

As fans we always want Sentai to appeal to our (older) demographic and push the envelope. But that's not what the show exists to do and it doesn't really surprise me when a show (like ToQger) doesn't do that. Plus I have a certain fondness for a half hour sugar rush :sweat: