Lurker
[HIDE]People hate the fact that Adult Swim and Cartoon Network aired live action shows in the past to begin with. A show like Garo could air, just in regards to the demographic since this Toonami might aim a little higher now, but Gransazer is purely kid stuff. (and I'm not sure if you've watched it or not lately, but it doesn't hold up all that great) Saint Seiya Omega would be a great show for them to air to have something henshin hero-like. Animation is definitely where Cartoon Network and anything that airs there needs to be focused.

Since Saban more or less bought out the Saturday block that 4Kids airs in the mornings, they'll probably try to get more US tokusatsu out there when they get full control of the block next year. Though if you just want to see Japanese tokusatsu airing dubbed or subbed, that's going to be next to impossible. The only Asian market that has live action shows with enough demand to air in this country is Korea, of all places. K-Dramas air on a couple of American channels and even get a decent distribution rate with Netflix and from what I've read, they had to really come in force to get that to happen and the fanbase for Korean stuff is monstrous compared to the English tokusasu market.

The anime market isn't in the best shape these days and that's something Toonami could held make strong again. Of course it would be a lot easier to do that if it aired weekdays instead of at night and presumably once a week[/HIDE]

While I still haven't forgotten (or forgiven) the DiC English Saint Seiya dubs (Gatorade blood... >8() if they were to add one of them to the new Toonami, I think, since they have a more mature target audience than the original, that they would be better off with Lost Canvas (which in all honesty is the most "mature" StS series) than Omega.

I remember that EZ Rider once commented that if Toonami had not been canceled, there would have been a chance that it would air the KR Kabuto English dubs.

The current state of the internet and being able to just watch whatever you want whenever you want kinda rendered Toonami useless.

It was top gun cuz it was on the edge of what was being aired on television. Tokusatsu is that edge. GranSazer's for kids in Japan, but in America it could be that mad "crazy" thing like Godzilla that would appeal to AS audiences that dig on new and weird and unconventional things.

Mad Skillz
That's sort of the appeal I don't like. It's not really worth bringing tokusatsu over if you're just going to market it as "Oh Japan, you so silly", it undermines the entire production of the show, if not, there are probably better outlets for this sort of thing. Like, yeah, it doesn't need to be all grimdark because obviously the original show wasn't like that, but sometimes people see Japanese things as marketable only if you sway way the heck over to one extreme. For as crazy as some Godzilla films are, I bet they've completely made it impossible for a lot of people to take the original film as serious as it's meant to be taken.

Either way, with Power Rangers as popular as it is, this isn't an angle you could really get at because people already have their notions of what it's going to be like and will (or won't) watch based on that. The current state of the internet also allows people to discover tokusatsu really easily these days. You see this reflected on blogs and YouTube comments by people who have no idea what they're watching. It's even how a Kamen Rider X clip ended up on Attack of the Show. (which, hey, for as visionless as it is, tokusatsu could probably work there. G4 needs something that isn't Cops, Cheaters, or Star Trek reruns to widen their viewership)

Whoa, which channels would those be?
There are a few soap channels that air them, I'll get the names in a bit.

I remember that EZ Rider once commented that if Toonami had not been canceled, there would have been a chance that it would air the KR Kabuto English dubs.
I seriously doubt this was ever a possibility. This probably just comes from the fact that the Philippines aired Kabuto on their version of Toonami, but that's a country known for airing tokusatsu in its original form.

Last edited:
Lurker
The current state of the internet and being able to just watch whatever you want whenever you want kinda rendered Toonami useless.

I think Toonami's role now would be keeping anime, which is waning down on the states, in the mainstream.

Just an Internet User Passing Thru
Keith has obviously lost it. I move we remove him from power and put me in charge.

Just bring your collection of Den-O DVDs and I'll bring the electric chair........and consider it done :169: :laugh:

Is not impressed right now...
Toonami should be about introducing KIDS to cool new anime and action cartoons, not appealing to the older fans who can easily find all of that stuff on DVD/Netflix/Hulu/Crunchyroll/torrent (and probably have to work in the morning, so they can't stay up late enough to watch the whole block). I've said this before, but this will either go two ways: it'll bomb spectacularly because they misunderstood who the target audience was/should be (like when ABC tried to bring back TGIF), or it'll just get lazy after a while and they'll just start airing the same shows over again (like TeenNick's '90s Are All That block).

That said, I wouldn't mind if they did a regular Toonami block on CN proper Saturdays from, say, 6:00-9:00 (with anime and newer cartoons like Thundercats, Young Justice, and Green Lantern), then [adult swim] comedy from 9:00-midnight, then a Toonami "Midnight Run" and/or "Toonami Classic" from midnight to 6:00 with newer uncut anime for the older audience as well as some anime from Toonami's first run like DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho.