I don't have low self esteem.
Have you ever watched a Japanese Tokusatsu series (from say.. the 80's or 90's) as an adult and wish you could've watched it at the time as a kid?

Me, I've just recently been watching a bit of Choujuu Sentai Liveman, and personally I've decided out of all the Super Sentai series I've watched, Liveman is my favorite.

So why do I wish I watched Liveman as a kid? Well first, Liveman was from 1988, and around that time I was 4 years old. Secondly, I can remember years and years ago back when I was still on Japan Hero, this guy (who's username can't remember) was talking about how Liveman was underrated and asking why not many people on the board was taliking about this series. He also talked about his nostalgic memories of watching the show as a kid, and how he found the show scary and how it sent him running out of the living room crying..

..or something like that..

And also I can remember the first time I watched the first episode of Liveman. And for a Super Sentai series it seemed pretty brutal and aggressive. Especially the parts where Mari and Takuji got killed by Tsukikage, Senda and Omura, and also the part where there were explosions and fire everywhere and.. BOOM BOOM BOOM!!! Everybody had to run for their lives.. And the parts where Tsukikage, Senda and Omura transformed into their monster forms..

And I have to admit, the VOLT members were bloody mean!! Especially Mazenda's nasty laugh as she laughs at someone's grief. We don't have nasty villians like VOLT anymore!!

And then I thought back to the guy's post on Japan Hero. Although I never found it too scary as an adult I think if I was watching this at 4 years old I'd probably have the same experience as the guy on Japan Hero. And that's pretty much the main reason why I want to have watched Liveman as a 4 year old. I would've been scared shitless but I think it would be the scary and dark nature of Liveman that would've made the show more exciting and eventually more enjoyable to watch. I would've later though "Liveman is a show for big boys!! I can take on it!!".

And I would've loved to have watched an English language dub of Liveman on say.. Wacaday. Sure an English dub would mean that the Japanese character's mouthes won't be in sync with the English voices, but imagine that awesome transition from the wacky, goofy looking Timmy Mallet and Michaela Strachen after a game of Mallet's Mallet, to the scary scenes in Liveman. Imagine the parents complaining and Timmy Mallet having to defend Liveman? Imagine the tabloid newspapers going "BAN THIS LIVEMAN FILTH!!" and then going on about Sam Fox's tits? That would be awesome!!

And all this would've happened before Power Rangers on GMTV. Sadly it all never happened but this is more of a what if thing.

But anyway, what about you guys?

I wished i coulda seen the heisei rider series as a kid, i woulda been 4 when kuuga came out and i bet i woulda loved it, and also when i was in elementary school i was kinda turned off by power rangers and wanted something cooler with more action so im sure faiz/blade woulda made myself in elementary school blow up because of the awesomeness. But then again i discovered kamen rider in 6th grade so i didn't really miss out on alot of the good stuff :)

Kamen Rider Black and Madan Senki Ryukendo, Black for the sole reason it would have clicked with me instantly, Ryukendo because i liked the suit designs.

I agree with Liveman. I grew up on Maskman and Bioman so it would be something familiar and yet different at the same time. In that vein, probably Changeman and Flashman too.

For the new ones, I'd probably drive my parents crazy asking for Shinkenger or Ryukendo stuff. I'd probably dig Fourze too because of the school theme.

*explosion*
I didn't watch Toku when I was growing up, first learning about the genre until after I left school; so I have no childhood nostalgia for any series.

I think that is sort of an advantage, because whichever show I watched as a child would have always been preferred by me. My opinions of shows would always be skewed towards those shows of my childhood and the shows that were like it, which is very bad.

Bioman. Because all of my cousins in The Philippines always watched it and I was living back in California at the time. I showed them Power Rangers and they told me it reminded them of Bioman. It was the first sentai series I heard of and this was in Winter Holidays 94/95 and didn't watch it until earlier this year and I am almost 30 =(.

I think Kamen Rider Black and Black RX would have been great for me as a kid. I would have loved it instantly myself.

Jetman just had this extreme flavor that will always appeal to me whether as a child or adult.

Dairanger. When I look at Kou, I honestly see myself as a kid again (yes, I will admit I did grope some of my sister's friends as a kid lol) and would act like him if I had such powers. Plus, I really loved the action.

Kakuranger. Mostly because I have always been a fan of Kane and Sho Kosugi and the ninja gimmick would have instantly grabbed me by the balls.

The Meteor has landed
None, since I started watching Tokusatsu as a kid...and I don't mean Power Rangers. I actually watched some Ultraman as a kid (I think it was Cosmos or Gaia) and then after that I watched Power Rangers...unfortunate it was the start of the Disney-Era when I started watching. :shakefist

Continuing the Creddie legacy
Have you ever watched a Japanese Tokusatsu series (from say.. the 80's or 90's) as an adult and wish you could've watched it at the time as a kid?

Me, I've just recently been watching a bit of Choujuu Sentai Liveman, and personally I've decided out of all the Super Sentai series I've watched, Liveman is my favorite.

So why do I wish I watched Liveman as a kid? Well first, Liveman was from 1988, and around that time I was 4 years old. Secondly, I can remember years and years ago back when I was still on Japan Hero, this guy (who's username can't remember) was talking about how Liveman was underrated and asking why not many people on the board was taliking about this series. He also talked about his nostalgic memories of watching the show as a kid, and how he found the show scary and how it sent him running out of the living room crying..

..or something like that..

And also I can remember the first time I watched the first episode of Liveman. And for a Super Sentai series it seemed pretty brutal and aggressive. Especially the parts where Mari and Takuji got killed by Tsukikage, Senda and Omura, and also the part where there were explosions and fire everywhere and.. BOOM BOOM BOOM!!! Everybody had to run for their lives.. And the parts where Tsukikage, Senda and Omura transformed into their monster forms..

And I have to admit, the VOLT members were bloody mean!! Especially Mazenda's nasty laugh as she laughs at someone's grief. We don't have nasty villians like VOLT anymore!!

And then I thought back to the guy's post on Japan Hero. Although I never found it too scary as an adult I think if I was watching this at 4 years old I'd probably have the same experience as the guy on Japan Hero. And that's pretty much the main reason why I want to have watched Liveman as a 4 year old. I would've been scared shitless but I think it would be the scary and dark nature of Liveman that would've made the show more exciting and eventually more enjoyable to watch. I would've later though "Liveman is a show for big boys!! I can take on it!!".

And I would've loved to have watched an English language dub of Liveman on say.. Wacaday. Sure an English dub would mean that the Japanese character's mouthes won't be in sync with the English voices, but imagine that awesome transition from the wacky, goofy looking Timmy Mallet and Michaela Strachen after a game of Mallet's Mallet, to the scary scenes in Liveman. Imagine the parents complaining and Timmy Mallet having to defend Liveman? Imagine the tabloid newspapers going "BAN THIS LIVEMAN FILTH!!" and then going on about Sam Fox's tits? That would be awesome!!

And all this would've happened before Power Rangers on GMTV. Sadly it all never happened but this is more of a what if thing.

But anyway, what about you guys?

I'll agree on that... I would watch Liveman back in the Philippines (on Channel 13, just like Bioman and Maskman) if I was a kid then... Alongside BLACK RX (which never aired in my country, we got Saban's Masked Rider instead on that one as a substitute for BLACK RX).

Any sentai between 1984 and 2000. i would have enjoyed as a kid

also cybercops, machineman, winspector, solbrain, exceedraft, and blue swat.

maybe even Kamen rider kuuga and agito