S

scikaiju

Putting this here in case any one wants to talk about it. While it has a sentai like team it focuses on a female fan of the genre, who imagines herself as part of the team. Feels like something we can relate to on some level.

Hey! Thanks for saving me the trouble. I was thinking of making a discussion thread about this show, but I heard it was only going to last a few episodes, so I was on the fence about starting a discussion now or waiting until the show is over. This really helps me out now. :D

For those who don't know, the show is being subbed by Big Nova Subs.

And as for episode 1? Loved it! The show is easily accomplishing what AkibaRanger did, but in a more realistic way without completely going over the top.
I related to the main character SO much! The struggle is real...
But the first episode ended great, and I really hope they make a soundtrack for this show.

S

scikaiju

I was wondering about the episode count, do you have any idea how many?

And while SamuraiEchidna isn't a fan of them TVNihon is also doing the .

Having watched the the first episode, I have to agree with how relatable the lead character is. Even if it is done for a slightly more comedic effect you do feel her pain. Although I do like how the "MoTW" is related to her inner struggle. Because if Mom is going to be the big stress causer for her next week I can't wait to see what her monster looks like.

I was wondering about the episode count, do you have any idea how many?

I've seen a few sources say 7 episodes, but none of those sources verify where they are getting their information. So I can't say if it's really just going to be a 7 episode run. It might just be that 7 episodes have only been confirmed so far. But the show is based on a manga, and the manga only has a few issues, so 7 episodes might be enough to cover everything.

S

scikaiju

Makes sense if the Manga hasn't been out long. It must really popular if they turned into a show already.

I remember someone recommending this manga...I would've figured this series became an anime than a J-Drama

Just an update, apparently Over-Time is now also trying their hand at translating this series. So unless one of the three groups drops out, there is plenty of options to go around!

Personally, if I had to make a recommendation, I'd go with Big Nova. They and Over-Time are both are equally capable of translating this show. But I like to spread the love and attention around, so unless they decide to drop out of the project, I say please support Big Nova when it comes to this show. Over-Time is all ready the master of Sentai and Kamen Rider right now.

I remember someone recommending this manga...I would've figured this series became an anime than a J-Drama

I would love to see an anime based on Sentai, with a serious tone instead of a one-off comedy like SD Kamen Rider was. But the manga was about a tokusatsu fan, so it does make more sense to produce it in live action. And I imagine it's kind of an honor, since Japan cares more about making the original vision come to life rather than taking a ton of creative liberties with live action interpretation. You know, like how America loves to do.

Well, I just saw two more episodes...

Man, episode 2 had me in tears! Now that's a friend you want to have, one that will never judge you for your hobbies or interests, no matter how geeky; one that understands that it's okay to like things even if you're an adult or if you're not the target demographic. There was some future plot lines set up, but it looks like we'll have to wait for those to fully unfold.

And episode 3 is just another shining example of how much the creators of this show get it. There is a disillusion between fictional shows that try to teach lessons and morals, and real life. The lessons taught might be simple and powerful, but applying them to real life is not always easy or universal, especially when you're an adult. But I'm glad Nakamura isn't giving up. I'm rooting for her. And now I have a new term to use for people who ignore their tokusatsu origins as actors; dark history!

Well, I just saw two more episodes...

Now that's a friend you want to have, one that will never judge you for your hobbies or interests, no matter how geeky; one that understands that it's okay to like things even if you're an adult or if you're not the target demographic.

Eh, there's a flip side to that. A friend should let you know if what you're doing is objectively disturbing or otherwise inappropriate, and some people genuinely fail to grow up (take a look at "bread and circuses" sports fanatics for example).

And there are fans who schizophrenicly dismiss these shows as just "glorified kids' toy commercials" while demanding that the genre comply to their social morals, that they assume are universal.

Wow. Episode 4... Never thought I'd see a sentimental karaoke scene. Too bad most American karaoke bars expect you to perform in front of crowd rather than giving you a private room. So much for singing J-songs, Anisongs, and Cartoon songs with my friends (the ones that I don't have right now).
Mostly, I am looking forward to episode 5. They left that plot thread hanging for too long.

Eh, there's a flip side to that. A friend should let you know if what you're doing is objectively disturbing or otherwise inappropriate, and some people genuinely fail to grow up (take a look at "bread and circuses" sports fanatics for example).

The implied context I was going for is if your hobbies aren't harming anyone. I know, I didn't say that specifically (and probably should have). I've just seen so many people say it that I thought it was obvious at this point.