Tokusatsu "comfort foods" / guilty pleasures

Toku Prime

I've just been reading this blog post over on the Rising Sun toku blog that talks about "tokusatsu comfort foods". The definition they give is:

Aoi Kurenai on risingsuntokusatsu.com said:
When I talk about a “comfy†or “comfort food†show, I’m talking about something that I enjoy unabashedly. This is to say, despite the flaws of the shows, however glaring they may be, I enjoy it for what it is and what it makes me feel. Heck, I’ll probably be one of the first to point out all of a specific show’s faults and still hold the thing close to my heart.

To me that sounds similar to a guilty pleasure, but I think I prefer the phrase "comfort food show" because let's be honest nobody actually feels guilty about their guilty pleasures.

Whatever you call them, I know there are a few toku shows that I think of this way. Den-O and Kyoryuger come to mind straight away. What about you guys and girls? Do you have any toku shows or movies that you can't help but love, warts and all?

SentaiRiderFan

MV Maker
I don't really like the term "guilty pleasure" either (I understand the term, but I don't feel guilty about liking what I do), but I've got a few things that fit the bill.

First and foremost is Fourze. Despite the annoying side cast, I get a lot of enjoyment out of Gentaro's antics (especially in the movies he's in).

The other one I have a soft spot for is Decade. I know it has a ton of problems (not the least of which being the story), but I never cared about Decade's story to begin with. Honestly though, I like the alternate worlds. They let the writers do a lot of things that they could never get away with in a full show. I think it not only did "high school rider" first, but better. And where else are you going to see a world where the riders work for a company? The show sucks as a complete package, but I like re-watching individual two-parters from time to time.

And I know I'm gonna get a lot of flak for this, but Double kinda does this for me as well. It has a ton of problems, but I still get enjoyment out of it.

EDIT: One more (albiet one that I havent finished yet), Shinkenger. I know I should hate it (four of the five rangers are sacrificed just so Takeru can look cool, and it comes dangerously close to being boring), but there's a really weird charm to it all. One that, for some reason, makes me not mind the sluggish pacing.

draewon

Lurker
The entire genre is a guilty pleasure to me. I have zero friends who watch toku, but I really don't care.

indeed, it's much better than "i watch Toku and i have zero friends, period. "

but i got to disagree with the list, Goseiger and ToQger is highly unenjoyable for me, especially ToQger, there's only so much unfunny stupidity and childishness that i can stomach

Khaiden

Heroes are forever
I find the term "comfort food" funny/infuriating. "Cheesy", "large ham", etc. so many terms named after food. People are so hungry.

...and speaking of that, one of the main "guilty pleasures" that I think about is the Kabuto episodes of the Black/White Knife. The one thing I disliked about them was the insistence of making the evil chef a Worm.
Another one that I thoroughly enjoy is the second half of Super-1, mostly because of Jin Dogma. They some of the funniest and most lovely villains I've ever seen. I always have a great time watching episode 42.

But, as has been said, I don't feel any guilt over liking them, despite their apparent flaws.

lazycoconut

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I'm another one who doesn't like the idea of "guilty pleasure." If we're talking about "shows that others hate and/or are pretty flawed but I still like them" that would be Gaoranger, Kabuto, Janperson, Go-onger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Faiz, Ryukendo, Armor Hero, Turboranger, Gransazer ...

Toku Prime

The other one I have a soft spot for is Decade.
I have a soft spot for Decade too. It was the first subbed toku show I saw, and it worked as a great 'shop window' to see the previous Riders. Plus the way Tsukasa developed over the first 9 worlds was actually quite well handled.
I'm another one who doesn't like the idea of "guilty pleasure." If we're talking about "shows that others hate and/or are pretty flawed but I still like them" that would be Gaoranger, Kabuto, Janperson, Go-onger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Faiz, Ryukendo, Armor Hero, Turboranger, Gransazer ...
Janperson is disliked? I've only seen the handful of episodes that Megabeast have subbed but it seems really fun so far.

I also liked Gaoranger but then again I watched it straight after seeing three 80s Sentai in a row, so I'm not sure how much of my enjoyment was down to how different it was to them.
but i got to disagree with the list, Goseiger and ToQger is highly unenjoyable for me, especially ToQger, there's only so much unfunny stupidity and childishness that i can stomach
It's all personal taste really. Goseiger isn't in my top five or anything but I didn't hate it as others seem to have (same with Go-Onger, Boukenger, Go-Busters... pretty much any of the unpopular Sentai really).

Hangyakuno

Lurker
+1 Decade, I always think they have great potential for story but alas, messed up with how to end it.

Toqger too. Funny and almost harmless villain. Really a Den-O for Super Sentai but I loved them. Den-O too.

Surprisingly Kuuga. I watch it as a kid, fabulous. But when I finally can watch it again after I grow up, I fall asleep after first half.

T

Tom Strong

I'm actually proud of liking Janperson.

But liking Power Rangers: Operation Overdrive? Now that, I'm kind of embarrassed by. . .

this is exactly how I feel. Its always Saturday Morning in my room, and I don't care if they think I'm a bit odd... My wife is slowly coming around.

I suppose Wizard has become this in hindsight since I don't have to watch it every week anymore. :laugh: The movies helped a lot though. I just love the concepts and suit designs and so much about it, but maaaaan...

Oh, and... Maybe Faiz, but the flaws didn't really detract from my enjoyment (and I feel some of them are just overblown by people anyway), so maybe not. I suppose Goseiger maybe, but it's not so much the "guilty" part that I pause on (though I'm generally in the "I like what I like so I can't really have guilty pleasures" group) as the "pleasure" one in regards to that show. Well, Alata is cool, so I guess it counts.

Toku Prime

Black RX. Yeah you can tell that they don't really know what they want to do with the show for the first quarter, but once you reach episode 14 the show finds it's feet and by the end it becomes far darker than would seem possible for a show with such a "light and fluffy" reputation.

MaxRebo120

Ultraman Taro for sure. Iron King and Kikaida 01 are contenders too, but I think in terms of feeling the most "comfortable" watching, Taro gets my vote.

T

Tom Strong

Speaking of comfort food, remember that episode of Taro where Izumi suddenly hands out soft-serve ice cream cones to everyone in ZAT?

Working in ZAT must have been a kid's dream come true. You get to wear a garish blue-and-red uniform, shoot space pistols at giant monsters, and fly rocket ships. Plus there's free soft-serve ice cream.

If I remember correctly Izumi handed out bubble gum in the next episode. What were these, product placement deals?

Now on Kickstarter

Latest News

Who's on Discord?