Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters vs. Dobutsu Sentai Gobusters - TALK UP!

Aww, now I just miss Go-Busters even more :bawling: At least at the moment I can look forward to their re-appearance in the vs with Kyoryuger. I'm going to be on such a downer when I know I'll never get to see them ever again :disappoin *fingers crossed at least one will re-appear in the 40th anniversary special*

The insanely OTT alternate universe was fun though - I laughed my ass off at Hiromu's scenery-chewing reaction during Green Hippo's death scene. It has made me nervous about watching Sun Vulcan next though - I'm not so sure I can handle that energy level for a full series (and I'm a guy who normally prefers the more comedic toku over the serious ones). Having said that, I think Escape somehow gets a better deal in the parody version :sweat:

In the end credit sequence, when the EMC staff are posing in the teacher's lounge, there's a guy in a hard hat with them. Who was he? I didn't recognise him :eyebrow:

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I'm pretty sure this movie wasn't a jab directly at the fans alone. Most of its bile seems to be towards the industrial complex that will only allow Sentai that falls into a very narrow range of mindlessness and repetitive-ness to prosper. With the aggravating side-effect of killing any and all creativity the genre might still have in it.

Now the fans ARE partially responsible for that as they are a part of that complex. Just look at all the people in this thread alone who missed the joke and unironically say they would have preferred the soulless, insincere parade of cliches as the real show. However, the true fault lies not with them but with what Toei and Bandai have kind of trained them through what they will go all out in trying to push as "acceptable Sentai".

Although I like Go-Busters, I think it gets way too much unmerited credit for trying to be "creative" and "unique." The only time Sentai really needs to put in an effort to do something different is when toys aren't selling, and that wasn't the case - Go-onger, Shinkenger and Gokaiger were commercial successes. Otherwise, the main audience doesn't watch for longer than a year or two at most. Toei can get away with being repetitive because no one other than a few Nobuo Akagi types notices.

I have seen people compare Sentai to franchises like Transformers and Pokemon in saying it needs to "evolve" and "grow", and I think that's an inaccurate comparison. Transformers and Pokemon can remain cool and marketable by constantly bringing out new stuff. Sentai is more like Barney the Dinosaur; kids watch when they're very young, love it for a short while, and then move on to something more "grown up"

In that case, isn't it better to at least TRY and do something with depth and meaning to it instead of... nothing?

Depth and meaning are in the eye of the beholder. I would rather watch a "cliche" Sentai like Gaoranger or Goseiger that's optimistic and sappy but makes me feel good, than a Sentai that feels like it's tripping over its own perceived cleverness (which was the feel I got from the first few episodes of Go-Busters until I started to warm up to it.)

If Takebe was using this film as a jab towards the people who didn't like Go-Busters... well, I personally think that makes her really arrogant with the show. I think I had every good reason to not enjoy it, and if she can't accept that, then screw her then. :redface2:

I kind of agree? I enjoyed the show. I LOVED how much fun the cast seems to have had making this movie. And yet behind that, it's basically the staff throwing a collective tantrum because they thought they were doing something brilliant and meaningful and deep, but the audience didn't. It sours me towards Takebe and Shimoyama, though not the cast or show.

Last edited:
It's pretty weird seeing the cast with actual life and personality. It did feel like a lot of this movie was making fun of the fans who wanted Go-busters to be a generic Sentai season, but everything they showed made it look so much better than what we ended up with. Hell, I cared about the alternative universe cast far more than the real versions, why couldn't they have been deleted instead? :redface2:

But for the record, I'm in favour of Sentai not being the same year after year. I went into Go-busters very excited about the possibilities of a more unique season, but that was absolutely not what they delivered, even before the retooling.

DAIMON PAWNCH
I want this to happen for Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters

Red Buster
Blue Buster
Yellow Buster
Beet Buster
Stag Buster
Tokumei Sentai, Go-Busters

Savannah Hunter! Red Cheetah!
Jungle Warrior! Blue Gorilla!
Field Jumper! Yellow Rabbit!
Arborel Leader! Gold Beetle!
Juice Drinker! Silver Stag!
Dobutsu Sentai Go-Busters!

_________KyoryuSilver
_________ KyoryuViolet
The Clashing Brave, Kyoryu Gray
The Steel Brave, KyoryuCyan
I am Brave because, I am J
Ramirez: Zyuden Sentai, Spirit Rangers

The Fanged Brave, Kyoryu Red
The Bullet Brave, Kyoryu Black
The Armored Brave, Kyoryu Blue
The Slashing Brave, Kyoryu Green
The Horned Brave, Kyoryu Pink
The Thunder Brave, Kyoryu Gold
and I am here as well, Beet J. Stag
Jyuden Sentai Kyoryuger

Vanquishing evil in the name of heaven!
It's going to get wild, try and stop us!
Super Sentai
Ready
GO!

Man, what a ride. It was silly as all else (I guess this is what I can expect when I finally watch Sun Vulcan, huh?), but it wasn't... terrible. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, and I was pleasantly surprised - though I'd say the best parts were easily just seeing how much fun the cast was having being silly, along with J being J and all dat Nick focus.

As someone who loved Go-Busters to death though, in the end, the one thing this really hammered down for me is that god damn do I miss it, and I know already I won't be missing Kyoryuger nearly as much by the time it ends. The characters don't have nearly as much depth, the plot... while remains to be seen, just isn't the same for me. I don't mean to start anything with Kyoryuger fans (I'm one too!) or Go-Busters haters, that's just how I feel about it.

Go-Busters was just really something special. If that just means only some people can appreciate it, that's fine, I'm just glad to be one of them. Can't wait to see everybody again in the versus Kyoryuger movie.

Finally saw the movie today. What is it with me and my bad luck with Go-Busters movies?

When I saw the original Go-Busters movie, I was bored out of mind. I had hoped it would be good enough to get me interested in the TV series, but instead I felt like I had just watched an average episode dragged out to fill up the length of a movie.

This movie was... Better?
It still didn't impress me much, and I'm sorry if I wasn't laughing as much as I should have been, but... At least it got me interested in actually going back and watching the series I skipped. I know there will be quite a few obvious differences, but that's the fun in it, seeing how different Tokumei Sentai is compared to Dobutsu Sentai.

If Takebe was using this film as a jab towards the people who didn't like Go-Busters... well, I personally think that makes her really arrogant with the show. I think I had every good reason to not enjoy it, and if she can't accept that, then screw her then. :redface2:
Is not appreciating art a good reason?! Cause that's the only reason I can think of!

Aww, now I just miss Go-Busters even more :bawling: At least at the moment I can look forward to their re-appearance in the vs with Kyoryuger. I'm going to be on such a downer when I know I'll never get to see them ever again :disappoin *fingers crossed at least one will re-appear in the 40th anniversary special*

The insanely OTT alternate universe was fun though - I laughed my ass off at Hiromu's scenery-chewing reaction during Green Hippo's death scene. It has made me nervous about watching Sun Vulcan next though - I'm not so sure I can handle that energy level for a full series (and I'm a guy who normally prefers the more comedic toku over the serious ones). Having said that, I think Escape somehow gets a better deal in the parody version :sweat:

In the end credit sequence, when the EMC staff are posing in the teacher's lounge, there's a guy in a hard hat with them. Who was he? I didn't recognise him :eyebrow:

Man, what a ride. It was silly as all else (I guess this is what I can expect when I finally watch Sun Vulcan, huh?), but it wasn't... terrible. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, and I was pleasantly surprised - though I'd say the best parts were easily just seeing how much fun the cast was having being silly, along with J being J and all dat Nick focus.

As someone who loved Go-Busters to death though, in the end, the one thing this really hammered down for me is that god damn do I miss it, and I know already I won't be missing Kyoryuger nearly as much by the time it ends. The characters don't have nearly as much depth, the plot... while remains to be seen, just isn't the same for me. I don't mean to start anything with Kyoryuger fans (I'm one too!) or Go-Busters haters, that's just how I feel about it.

Go-Busters was just really something special. If that just means only some people can appreciate it, that's fine, I'm just glad to be one of them. Can't wait to see everybody again in the versus Kyoryuger movie.
It's not to late. The three of us can ascend to a higher level of fandom. By simply eliminating the troglodytes we can weed out the weaker viewers and take this fandom to the next step of evolution.

Finally saw the movie today. What is it with me and my bad luck with Go-Busters movies?

When I saw the original Go-Busters movie, I was bored out of mind. I had hoped it would be good enough to get me interested in the TV series, but instead I felt like I had just watched an average episode dragged out to fill up the length of a movie.
*slaps you* When has a non team-up Sentai movie ever been a decent indicator of what the series is like?! And then you go an watch the movie who's whole point was to address what happened to the series?! *slaps you again* What the hell is wrong with you...

Nice post!!
Sentai is more like Barney the Dinosaur; kids watch when they're very young, love it for a short while, and then move on to something more "grown up"

I can't agree with this at all. Japan's cultural equivalent to Barney the Dinosaur is stuff like Doraemon and Anpanman. Super Sentai is far more comparable to Superman's role in 1950s American pop culture: created to entertain children, but with plenty of adult fans and beloved by pretty much everyone.

Lurker
I finally remembered I had this video on my computer, so got around to watching it last night. I consider Go-Busters to be my second favorite season, behind Gekiranger, and wouldn't mind if it's the last Sentai I ever see as it airs (I'm not bothering with Kyoryuger), if it comes down to that.

I couldn't get through vs. Gokaiger for some reason, so I was hesitant about this, if I'd get through. By the end, I had laughed, I had cheered for it, I was just happy this thing existed.

I wouldn't change Go-Busters itself (except a more fluid plot, no Messiah card thing, etc.), but man, I want this to happen. Please Toei, can you make this the season after Kyoryuger? Please?

It was such a fun ride. I loved the way it was presented, as just chunks of episodes being shown. That just made this perfect for me; I desperately want to see these now.

My only real complaints are that Black Puma wasn't involved in the final battle (might have been an in-story reason in the Dubutsu World), nor was Pink Cat (again, in story reason?). Also, when the combined teams attacked, J was off to the far side, as usual. It would have made more sense for him to be in the center, representing both teams, primarily so the colors would flow better.

But it was so much fun. I want more.