Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters vs. Dobutsu Sentai Gobusters - TALK UP!

Good news it's even better subbed! It takes place Dec 31st which means Jin was alive which means it can be cannon! Dobutsu Sentai: More official than Akibaranger!

Also the Dobutsu series apparently takes place within only 1 month.:laugh:

JFC

♥ 大好き ♥
i don't care for it, i didn't mind its a toku & sentai i can kinda get behind but seems like they played it mad safe with Go-Busters in the 2nd Half

too freaking funny rofl and the action and acting is on par with the series.
ill be the first to admit i like the go-buster films just not the show allot

but J and Jin were and are my favorite busters and they deliver

this movie was a win for me. lots of rofl and lol
:eyebrow:

Whatever....
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand merged.

Good news it's even better subbed! It takes place Dec 31st which means Jin was alive which means it can be cannon! Dobutsu Sentai: More official than Akibaranger!

Awww... that does make the ending kinda bittersweet though.. cos you know ole Jin is gonna bite it...

So I really enjoyed this special. It was good to see the cast of Go-Busters again, I loved Azazel's design, the alternate universe stuff had me laughing out loud, overall it was just great.

I agree with everyone whose been saying that this special was essentially a critique on Super Sentai fans and the complaints lobbied at the show while it was on. To me the line that really sticks out is towards the end when the new Go-Busters end up dying the same way as the original Go-Busters leading Nick to bemoan "I guess it turned out the same after all."

To me this is the whole point writer Kento Shimoyama is trying to make with this special (if he has one). That folks who complained about Go-Busters when it was on and claimed that it was being "re-tooled" and that such changes altered the ending are simply wrong. Rather Go-Busters ended the way Yasuko Kobayashi always intended it to, retool or no retool. As long as she was the writer Go-Busters was going to adhere to a certain vision and making it more "light-hearted" or in step with traditional Sentai tropes of the 80s and 90s wasn't going to change that. If anything it may have made for a worse show.

Shimoyama should know, he was Kobayashi's assistant.

Lurker
I'm surprise this exists in the first place considering Go-Busters is generally viewed as not really popular with the kiddies...

Anyway I'm with you on loving the masterpiece that was J Sentai J Buster Featuring the Go-Busters!

hey this movie had me dying laughing all the way to the end i love the Go-Busters in film just not there particular season or series. Dunno great in there own contained films and cameos though.

I was pleasantly surprised with this film. I thought I was really going to hate it. I mean, Go-Busters is one of my least favorite sentai seasons. And after recently rewatching the whole show, I was in a REALLY bad mood with anything that was Go-Busters. I really didn't want to watch this film.

But, I did, and it was a lot of fun! It was actually pretty funny! The most fun I've had with Sentai since the last ep of Gokaiger. :)

If Takebe was using this film as a jab towards the people who didn't like Go-Busters... well, I personally think that makes her really arrogant with the show. I think I had every good reason to not enjoy it, and if she can't accept that, then screw her then. :redface2:

Nice post!!
To me this is the whole point writer Kento Shimoyama is trying to make with this special (if he has one).

The guy clearly has one. He's written some dodgy filler, and reuses plots a bit too often, but he's almost always trying to make some sort of discernible point with his stuff. I think he's a writer to watch, and could be doing some really good stuff in the next five or ten years.

Rather Go-Busters ended the way Yasuko Kobayashi always intended it to, retool or no retool.

I really cannot see this. The ending of Go-Busters we got is probably similar to what was planned, in terms of the plot points that happened, but there's no way it was meant to play out the way we saw it. No writer's vision is going to call for an ending so rushed, where things that should be major points of drama are hastily skipped over.

As long as she was the writer Go-Busters was going to adhere to a certain vision and making it more "light-hearted" or in step with traditional Sentai tropes of the 80s and 90s wasn't going to change that.

I think it would be kind of sniveling and sad for Shimoyama to write a script about Kobayashi's importance in her absence, don't you? I think it makes more sense for Shimoyama to be writing on behalf of the entire staff, cast and crew. He's making the argument that despite the absurd changes mandated by the execs, the show's many creators gave it a spirit that no outside force could take away.

The retooled parts of the show are just Go-Busters awkwardly pretending to be something it isn't (like the Dobutsu Sentai), and they will ultimately fade away from the fans' memories (as the Dobutsu Sentai does quite literally). He's making the argument that in the end, the truth-- what the show wanted to be-- is what will endure in the fans' memories. And who knows? Maybe he's right.

I'm pretty sure this movie wasn't a jab directly at the fans alone. Most of its bile seems to be towards the industrial complex that will only allow Sentai that falls into a very narrow range of mindlessness and repetitive-ness to prosper. With the aggravating side-effect of killing any and all creativity the genre might still have in it.

Now the fans ARE partially responsible for that as they are a part of that complex. Just look at all the people in this thread alone who missed the joke and unironically say they would have preferred the soulless, insincere parade of cliches as the real show. However, the true fault lies not with them but with what Toei and Bandai have kind of trained them through what they will go all out in trying to push as "acceptable Sentai".

Before going on, I feel the need to point out this argument is irrelevant to if Go-Busters itself would have been good or not if it had avoided being savagely beaten to death with the retooling stick. This work seems more of a worry about the state of Super Sentai's future in general, which is the ultimate point of "the same thing happened again" bit. No matter if you innovate or play it safe by being generic as hell, the end will come and things will move on to whatever happens next. In that case, isn't it better to at least TRY and do something with depth and meaning to it instead of... nothing?

It's also interesting to note some of the jabs it takes at the initial release of information that would have been known about Kyoryuger at the time, which I can't blame it for. While Kyoryuger has since proven itself to be smarter than it seemed it would be from that initial information, seeing your work followed up with something that, by all appearances, looks like it's going to be the most banal and generic thing to ever generic has GOT to be incredibly galling.

I also notice GaoRanger gets picked on A LOT as an example of "mindless and creatively bankrupt Sentai". There were several snarky references to it here, as well as in the first season of AkibaRanger and I'm pretty sure I've seen several parodies of it in anime using them as short-hand for "completely uninspired hero posers". It's just an interesting note to see how Japanese creators take to these kinds of shows differently than the fanbase.