Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters vs. Dobutsu Sentai Gobusters - TALK UP!

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I thought the movie itself was great fun and yet the whole message about "the real Go-Busters was SERIOUS and WORTHWHILE but the Doubutsu style of Sentai is cheap" makes me angry. It just felt like trying to take the moral high ground in order to silence the show's critics (especially during the Green Hippo scene and the whole thing with Hiromu being a stereotypical "loud" Red - hey, Kobayashi, your drama-queen Reds are no better than the Bans and Sousukes of Sentai!) It made me angry while I was watching it, but I can kind of overlook that from a viewer's perspective since it's evident the cast had a great time filming it ...

Last edited:
While I am usually Carranger Apologist #1, I actually think the Go-Busters V-Cinema goes a lot farther with parodying Sentai, and is genuinely a bit meaner-spirited about it. All of Carranger's parody is very loving, and it takes place in a gentle universe where merely the threat of someone actually dying is usually treated pretty seriously. Nothing like Green Hippo's death scene would be permitted in Carranger.

In fact, compare the Green Hippo scene with the first episode of Carranger, where Dapp "dies." Sure, that time's a fake, but that scene is a pretty good indicator of how Carranger treats death. Dobutsu Sentai Go-Busters is, by design, a superficial universe where the emotions are overblown and ultimately fake. In Carranger, the situations are silly but the emotion is always very genuine and heartfelt.
You heard it hear first folks! Lynxara said so herself! Go-busters officially funnier than Carranger! Gobusters best season ever!

Nice post!!
I thought the movie itself was great fun and yet the whole message about "the real Go-Busters was SERIOUS and WORTHWHILE but the Doubutsu style of Sentai is cheap" makes me angry.

I don't think the point was that older styles of Sentai are inherently cheap and inferior. I think the point was more that imitating these great old shows didn't make the Dobutsu Sentai equally great. The tropes didn't fit those characters, and came off as absurd (in a bad way, that is).

It just felt like trying to take the moral high ground in order to silence the show's critics (especially during the Green Hippo scene and the whole thing with Hiromu being a stereotypical "loud" Red - hey, Kobayashi, your drama-queen Reds are no better than the Bans and Sousukes of Sentai!)

Well, remember, Kobayashi had nothing to do with this special. I guess you could levy the criticism at Takebe? And you could argue that the criticism is mean-spirited coming from her, since Go-Busters is probably her first and last shot at being in charge of Sentai. Granted, if I was Takebe, I probably wouldn't take kindly to fans telling me to make my ideas more like someone else's. So I guess I can't begrudge her a little bit of bitterness, if that is in fact the case.

You heard it hear first folks! Lynxara said so herself! Go-busters officially funnier than Carranger! Gobusters best season ever!

:laugh: Well, my point was more that it's just a different type of humor. I will say that I thought Kento Shimoyama's Go-Busters episodes were often very funny without betraying the show's core ideas unnecessarily. I've heard he's a protege of Yoshio Urasawa (who wrote Carranger), so I'm glad to see him developing his own style of humor and not just imitating his master. This is also part of why I think the point of the special is that mindless imitation is bad, and people need to strive to do unique things.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I don't think the point was that older styles of Sentai are inherently cheap and inferior. I think the point was more that imitating these great old shows didn't make the Dobutsu Sentai equally great. The tropes didn't fit those characters, and came off as absurd (in a bad way, that is).

The cast really made this come to life. No matter how OTT it got, they were obviously loving it and that was infectious. Hiroya Matsumoto was good at this during the series itself but when everyone's obviously going with it, it becomes magical

Well, remember, Kobayashi had nothing to do with this special. I guess you could levy the criticism at Takebe? And you could argue that the criticism is mean-spirited coming from her, since Go-Busters is probably her first and last shot at being in charge of Sentai. Granted, if I was Takebe, I probably wouldn't take kindly to fans telling me to make my ideas more like someone else's. So I guess I can't begrudge her a little bit of bitterness, if that is in fact the case.

You're quite right there. I kind of always got the feeling with Go-Busters that Toei or at least Takebe was expecting not just success, but a great big hit - whether because of novelty factor, or it being Takebe's first Sentai, or coming from the writer of Den-O and Shinkenger. Parts of the movie felt like a huge tantrum that that didn't happen, but then if Takebe won't be allowed to go back to Sentai I guess it's understandable ...

Last edited:
When i watched this, although without subs, it went like this:

wow, that is really an 80's sentai...

Then i watched Sun Vulcan's first episode.
a base on top of an animal center?
That ball attack (used in so many sentai)
And their civilian clothes, those gloves on Hiromu are also kinda... KRBlack ?

basically so many tropes from everywhere... the more sentai you've seen, even one episode, the more you enjoy it.

Lurker
i don't care for it, i didn't mind its a toku & sentai i can kinda get behind but seems like they played it mad safe with Go-Busters in the 2nd Half

Lurker
And the problem with saying, "Oh, a lull started with Go-onger" is that I think Sentai actually got a lot more creative in the wake of that show? Shinkenger, Goseiger, and Gokaiger were all shows that played with Sentai's basic format in a new way. Go-Busters was by definition a big creative risk that didn't pay off, very directly comparable to Ohranger.

Now that you mention it that I think its pretty interesting that Sentai got more creative at the same time Kamen Rider Decade was airing.

Now that you mention it that I think its pretty interesting that Sentai got more creative at the same time Kamen Rider Decade was airing.
Sentai saw Decade and went "We gotta get our **** together. We can't let this happen to us..."

Henshin a Go-Go!!
thought I would share this...

fig,heather_grey,mens,ffffff.2.jpg

http://www.redbubble.com/people/lazerwolfx/works/10522081-animal-change

fig,slate,mens,ffffff.jpg

http://www.redbubble.com/people/lazerwolfx/works/10522147-animal-change-2

Last edited:
Lurker
Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters Returns vs. Dōbutsu Sentai Go-Busters

too freaking funny rofl and the action and acting is on par with the series.
ill be the first to admit i like the go-buster films just not the show allot

but J and Jin were and are my favorite busters and they deliver

this movie was a win for me. lots of rofl and lol