Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters vs. Dobutsu Sentai Gobusters - TALK UP!

Somehow, I preferred the real Go-Busters over this Gobusters....
This seems like an re enactment of 80's Sentai literally, while real Go-Busters tried taking the 80's formula and gives it a new angle (although poorly done).

And this is coming from a guy that doesn't have much love for Go-Busters, except for Enter, Escape, Jin and J.

so, I've been watching the Dobuster Sentai Gobusters "opening" a few times, trying to get Sentai references out of it and here's what I discovered:

- Beginning part of the "opening" is taken from Gingaman.
- The heroes jumping off rooftops is a reference to quite a handful of series. Zyuranger comes to mind.
- The heroes fighting the mooks in fast-forwarded speed and coming to a stop is taken from Timeranger.
- Animal Formation Crush is a homage to Turboranger and Zyuranger.
- Gobuster Ball is obviously taken from Goranger.

can't remember which series did the character/actor introduction that way in the opening though... d'oh!

Banned
Usually I wait for subs to make a story based opinion, but in the case of this movie I have no desire to watch it again. It was just bad.

"Let's DRIVING!!!!!"
Finally saw the V-Cinema, I have to say I was actually impressed. I loved how they've rewritten the "Animal Sentai" world as an actual Sentai series that should've happened last year. I loved how they made Escape's counterpart the main villianness in this world, even though the episodes were like 30 seconds.:laugh: But, Green Hippo's death scene was Oscar gold. Plus, I loved AR Youko's character more than the real Youko's character. At least she had a personality.

Overall, great V-Cinema. Can't wait to see the subbed version.

Nice post!!
except Carranger made this angle first and made it better :sweat:

While I am usually Carranger Apologist #1, I actually think the Go-Busters V-Cinema goes a lot farther with parodying Sentai, and is genuinely a bit meaner-spirited about it. All of Carranger's parody is very loving, and it takes place in a gentle universe where merely the threat of someone actually dying is usually treated pretty seriously. Nothing like Green Hippo's death scene would be permitted in Carranger.

In fact, compare the Green Hippo scene with the first episode of Carranger, where Dapp "dies." Sure, that time's a fake, but that scene is a pretty good indicator of how Carranger treats death. Dobutsu Sentai Go-Busters is, by design, a superficial universe where the emotions are overblown and ultimately fake. In Carranger, the situations are silly but the emotion is always very genuine and heartfelt.

To me it looks like this movie is parodying Go-Busters itself. Maybe Shimoyama isn't too fond of writing for a Kobayashi show? Heh.

I really feel like what Shimoyama was parodying here was the retool, and maybe how people reacted to the retool. I mean, the ending of the special is about how the real Tokumei Sentai has more substance than the superficial Dobutsu Sentai, by virtue of being real characters who underwent actual hardships in their lives. So the Tokumei Sentai will go on existing, while the Dobutsu Sentai fades away.

To me, that's like Shimoyama is saying, "In the long run, people will remember the great things about this show, and the shitty retool awkwardness will simply be forgotten." And to be fair, that's often how it goes with Sentai. Like, with Turboranger, it's very clear to me now that nobody really much remembers what the show was actually like before Kirika showed up and made it a passable season.

Somehow, I preferred the real Go-Busters over this Gobusters....
This seems like an re enactment of 80's Sentai literally, while real Go-Busters tried taking the 80's formula and gives it a new angle (although poorly done).

Dobutsu Sentai Go-Busters parodied virtually every prior season that contained something worth parodying. They really focused on parodying 80s and 90s Sentai, though, probably since those are the two most creatively fertile decades for the franchise. In the 00s is when you get Sentai kinda resting on its laurels and often being content to just remake old shows and eps with more CG.

And I think that tendency is probably the actual target of Dobutsu Sentai Go-Busters's parody. I think the V-Cinema is actually about mocking people (fans and executives both) who rejected Go-Busters for being "not Sentai," but would've happily lapped up a show that was nothing but mindless imitation of what came before. Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters at least attempted to grow the franchise, even if it wasn't allowed to finish what it started.

can't remember which series did the character/actor introduction that way in the opening though... d'oh!

I believe they were specifically doing Jetman, but Fiveman's OP is also pretty similar. There's actually a lot of shout-outs to Fiveman in the Dobutsu Sentai Go-Busters stuff, which is appropriate given how much Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters is grim n' gritty Fiveman. (And how Fiveman is also a series that gets painfully, brutally beaten by the retool stick.)

I really feel like what Shimoyama was parodying here was the retool, and maybe how people reacted to the retool. I mean, the ending of the special is about how the real Tokumei Sentai has more substance than the superficial Dobutsu Sentai, by virtue of being real characters who underwent actual hardships in their lives. So the Tokumei Sentai will go on existing, while the Dobutsu Sentai fades away.

Dobutsu Sentai Go-Busters parodied virtually every prior season that contained something worth parodying. They really focused on parodying 80s and 90s Sentai, though, probably since those are the two most creatively fertile decades for the franchise. In the 00s is when you get Sentai kinda resting on its laurels and often being content to just remake old shows and eps with more CG.

And I think that tendency is probably the actual target of Dobutsu Sentai Go-Busters's parody. I think the V-Cinema is actually about mocking people (fans and executives both) who rejected Go-Busters for being "not Sentai," but would've happily lapped up a show that was nothing but mindless imitation of what came before. Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters at least attempted to grow the franchise, even if it wasn't allowed to finish what it started.

In fact, watching that special makes me think that it had had influence from Akibaranger, since I feel that the way sentai is parodied there has the similar satrical genre savvy tone found in the unofficial sentai ; in a way, Dobutsu sentai Go-Busters is the unofficial Go-Busters team.

And I disagree with the fact that the 00' was a stagnation era for sentai; in my opinion, the Hurricanger/Gekiranger era was full of different experiments in the franchise, and full of creativity: it's interesting how Toei gave their chance to very different people to be main writers, including giving the veteran writer Arakawa his first sentai shows as main writer.
I feel that the real era where the sentai franchise stalled started with Go-onger, where theere, I'd say the franchise rested in its laurels.

Nice post!!
In fact, watching that special makes me think that it had had influence from Akibaranger, since I feel that the way sentai is parodied there has the similar satrical genre savvy tone found in the unofficial sentai ; in a way, Dobutsu sentai Go-Busters is the unofficial Go-Busters team.

That's a really good point. Dobutsu Sentai Go-Busters certainly has a lot in common with Chinaman and the Powerful Rangers. I would wonder how much of a direct influence would be possible, though, when you consider the shooting schedules involved? Like, could Shimoyama have seen Akiba 2 before writing the V-Cinema special? I'm not sure the dates would work out. Then again, if he even so much as talked to Arakawa while he was writing the series, he might've still found out about the idea and gotten inspired.

And I disagree with the fact that the 00' was a stagnation era for sentai; in my opinion, the Hurricanger/Gekiranger era was full of different experiments in the franchise, and full of creativity:

I'm not sure I could agree. There's shows in this run that I really enjoy, don't get me wrong, but the only one I feel is really all that creative is Dekaranger. Everything else really comes off like they want to revisit ideas and formats that worked in the 90s, well before Go-onger is made. They elaborate on them and do their own twists, sure, but it's still nothing new.

And the problem with saying, "Oh, a lull started with Go-onger" is that I think Sentai actually got a lot more creative in the wake of that show? Shinkenger, Goseiger, and Gokaiger were all shows that played with Sentai's basic format in a new way. Go-Busters was by definition a big creative risk that didn't pay off, very directly comparable to Ohranger.