There of course have been some pretty dark/depressing toku series out there. Some happen to be a bit too dark/depressing for some fans to the point where it's just not any fun to watch. Some of the main examples being Jetman, Timeranger, and 555.

Has anyone ever felt like a dark/depressing show tends to go too far with the "emo" elements and stories? Or perhaps comes close to challenging your enjoyment? If so, how come? What themes and stories cause them?

MagiFanboy
Well, I haven't watched any toku shows which were, on the whole, too dark/depressing for my tastes. However, there is an episode of Jetman which relates to this topic.

It's the one where Tranza makes a robot, calls it a failure, and the whole episode is devoted to its short, abject, and miserable existence before it finally expires. I felt nothing. It was just trying too hard at being too dark and too depressing, that I was given no reason to form any sort of emotional connection or attachment to what was going on. It's like the show kept saying, over and over again, "Here is a horrible thing that is happening. Isn't this a horrible thing that is happening? Doesn't it make you sad that this horrible thing is happening?". Ironically, Goseiger did a very similar episode which was genuinely VERY depressing, because that one had the right balance of positive and hopeful moments so that the tragedy would sting all the harder.

It stinks.
I heard that Metalder was a pretty dark/depressing Metal Hero show.

Nah. I'd say Metalder was more serious, rather than depressing. Especially when compared to Jet, Time, and 555.

But Metalder dies (sorta) at the end, okay actually i'm not sure if "dies is the right word.

Dairanger was very dark as well

EDIT: also i forgot to include Liveman, Ohranger, Abaranger, Gekiranger were dark seasons as well (Geki is up for debate though)

But Metalder dies (sorta) at the end, okay actually i'm not sure if "dies is the right word.

Dairanger was very dark as well

EDIT: also i forgot to include Liveman, Ohranger, Abaranger, Gekiranger were dark seasons as well (Geki is up for debate though)

I'm kinda talking more about the seasons where a fan might tend to draw the line of how dark it gets and end up getting turned away. So I mean like, a bit more consistently depressing. Not occasionally depressing. And was kinda wondering if anyone tends to draw the line for such shows, and for what particular reasons.

Just watch Ultraman Nexus

Thank you Juspion, i almost forgot about Nexus.

People can say though that Kamen Rider Kiva was a bit dark, then again the later half feels like a toku/J-Drama Love child:laugh:

I cannot rewatch Yuka's first couple of episodes on 555 - the stuff with her family. It's so unrelentingly bleak that it's hard to sit through, even if it is unbelievably over the top. A lot of 555 is like that; it's one of the main reasons I really don't like the show that much.