So, I was going my way on Futaba, and saw that today, on Twitter, Shirakawa P tweeted about Star Wars

Here's his tweet
fFlbSiv.jpg

https://twitter.com/cron204/status/683633168654573568

Basically, this is what he said.

"This is the movie of someone who was raised watching Star Trek and Star Wars only, without knowing anything about scifi and western movies. People expect too much from that movie"

Coming from the man who explained that with Avengers, American heroes finally reached Japanese heroes level, before the movie kikaider reboot was released, by the man who produces all the stupid Taisen movie we get every year, I don't really know what my reaction is.

A fan on twitter asked him then if he didn't pay any attention to what Toku fans were saying about his movies every year and he replied (with much sarcarsm)

"I often hear that those are movies full of beautiful men looking the same, and that it's difficult to know who is who".

I''m wondering if his account hasn't been hacked...

Last edited:
"I often hear that those are movies full of beautiful men looking the same, and that it's difficult to know who is who".

I don't even understand this reply. Is he throwing criticism of the Taisen movies back at American action movies? Or is he just belittling the Taisen critics.

Funny how he supposedly says the Avengers placed American heroes on par with Japanese ones, when the Taisen movies seem to be a response to the Marvel Cinema universe. (And a poor one at that.)

Lurker
I like the Taisen movies and all, but they're not...like GOOD movies you know? I like them because I like Kamen Rider and I like to see returning actors resume their roles as the Riders of yester-year. I don't expect much from them and they certainly aren't well written for the most part and they don't have amazing special effects or take place in great locations or anything like that. Star Wars: The Force Awakens, while having some problems, was a really good star wars movie I felt. If Shirakawa didn't enjoy Star Wars that's fine, that's his opinion but c'mon, the Taisen movies are more like special episodes of a show than actual movies, so to compare them to The Force Awakens is just silly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of Kamen Rider, I have been since 2005, but for him to ****-talk the newest Star Wars just makes him look petty. It's like "Why can't my movies make that kind of money?"

I don't even understand this reply. Is he throwing criticism of the Taisen movies back at American action movies? Or is he just belittling the Taisen critics.

I guess that he hears a lot that his movies have flaws but he's just ignoring those criticisms. He's basically making fun of the people who say that to him, well that's how I interpret the reply.

I like the Taisen movies and all, but they're not...like GOOD movies you know? I like them because I like Kamen Rider and I like to see returning actors resume their roles as the Riders of yester-year. I don't expect much from them and they certainly aren't well written for the most part and they don't have amazing special effects or take place in great locations or anything like that. Star Wars: The Force Awakens, while having some problems, was a really good star wars movie I felt. If Shirakawa didn't enjoy Star Wars that's fine, that's his opinion but c'mon, the Taisen movies are more like special episodes of a show than actual movies, so to compare them to The Force Awakens is just silly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of Kamen Rider, I have been since 2005, but for him to ****-talk the newest Star Wars just makes him look petty. It's like "Why can't my movies make that kind of money?"

My biggest concern is how he's saying that JJ Abrahams is lacking scifi culture. Like you could see the Western movies and scifi novels influences in the Taisen movies.

On top of that, yes Star Wars is a good movie.

Also could you imagine Michael Bay tweeting that ?
That would cause such an outrage. He knows his tweet in Japanese won't reach Abrahams, but man, I hope it will.

Heroes are forever
He's kinda right about japanese superheroes. Once again I quote the parody Twitter account of Kamen Rider Decade: "Avengers is about a gathering of 6-7 heroes. That's sunday morning for Japan. Try harder..."
I really don't feel the Taisen movies were made in response to it. If anything, this "Superhero Year" is the first hint of a response to the Superhero Cinematic Universes.
Japan has been pumping out superhero movies for a long time, and they've stayed popular enough too. Sentai got 2 movies a year since 2000/2001 (might've been earlier than that) and Kamen Rider started having more than 1 since 2008, when the MCU was just at its very beginning stages and long before we got more than 2 Marvel movies a year.

To say nothing of Ultraman, which has has a universe in which nearly all movies connect with each other and their series.

TFA was really made with new fans in mind. Either that or they copy + pasted so much from ANH that it can work for someone who knows little about Star Wars.

Regardless, I don't see how he is criticizing the movies based on that translation of what he said. It seems he's just saying people had high expectations going into it. Of course, he should also realize the high expectations people have from the hero vs hero messes he has produced.