I've noticed that for a lot of people, Gaoranger's Rasetsu arc (eps 32-44) is the arc that seems to decide people's overall opinions on Gaoranger (unless you didn't like it before Rasetsu). The arc seems to result in a love it, hate it, or just plain mixed feelings on the overall season, depending on the fan. What are your thoughts on this arc and how it affected Gaoranger?

Kuuguitar
It was the part where everything went comedic, right? I recall the Ura arc right before it was darker.

Still, you gotta admire Rasetsu's master plan, and even though I didn't care too much about GaoGod more GaoIcarus isn't a bad thing.

MagiFanboy
The Rasetsu arc was a reversal of the usual trend in saga-based sentai, usually the third arc is the most focused and serious, but outside the GaoGod reveal two-parter, it was the goofiest part of the series. Rasetsu himself was too petty in his aims and ambitions for my taste.

Yeah, the Rasetsu arc was when things got more comedic. While there were comedic eps earlier in the show, they were often balanced out with serious eps and characters development eps. In this arc, we got a bunch of silly eps all in a row:

Eps 32 and 33: These two eps mark Rasetsu's arrival. He shows that he means business by blowing the city up several times, just to get a meal. Pretty evil if you ask me. Also introduces Fuutaro.

Next, we get eps 34 to 38, which were five silly eps all in a row:

34. The ep with Charcoal Org. Rasetsu's plan was to get him to cook for him, rather than blowing up the city again. Oh, and the actor playing Charcoal Org is awesome. :thumbs:

35. Ep with Blacksmith Org. Rasetsu wanted to turn the Gaoranger's weapons into forks and spoons as a work of art. Also the ep where Sae gets all arrogant and gets mad. :p

36. Ep where Tetom and Shirogane (Silver) get into an argument. Rasetsu uses Magic-Flute Org to get people to dance (including the Gaoranger), interfere with Tetom's song, and to entertain him when he's dining.

37. The ep with Yabaiba and his brother, Juggling Org.

38. Ep with Animal Tamer Org. Ends with Fuutaro revealed as Gao God.

Eps 39 and 40 (The Gao God arc) seem to get mixed reception from fans. Mostly due to varying opinions on GaoGod's plans and the overall humans vs nature plot itself.

41. The Xmas ep.

42, 43, and 44. Rasetsu gets back in business, much like how he was in eps 32 and 33.

45. The review ep.

46. New Years ep. Gaorangers try to find the Org's Matrix, while Yabaiba tries to stop them with New Year's Org and his weird games. After this ep, it's endgame.

Kuuguitar
The Rasetsu arc was a reversal of the usual trend in saga-based sentai, usually the third arc is the most focused and serious, but outside the GaoGod reveal two-parter, it was the goofiest part of the series. Rasetsu himself was too petty in his aims and ambitions for my taste.

I see what you did there. :laugh:

And yeah, comparing it to Goseiger's Matrintis arc the Rasetsu arc feels like it belongs more to the second part.

MagiFanboy
I see what you did there. :laugh:

...Would you believe me if I said that I wasn't trying to make a pun?

And yeah, comparing it to Goseiger's Matrintis arc the Rasetsu arc feels like it belongs more to the second part.

I think that if they were to have tweaked it a little, played Rasetsu's deal of consuming civilization in both its material aspects and as the embodiments of human dreams a little more seriously, the tone shift from Ura to Rasetsu wouldn't have been so jarring for me.

Also, my opinion on how the GaoGod judgment plotline was handled; While GaoGod revealing it was all just a test wasn't quite up to snuff, his judgment of humanity and the Gaorangers was a valid one, since he specifically had to pull divine intervention to resurrect Blue, White, Black, and Yellow, and until his reveal in 39 he was regularly bailing out the Gaorangers in little ways.

Ole! Ole! Ole!
Within Rasetsu's time contains one of my favorite Sentai episodes ever with the Charcoal Org, so yeah. Ura was the most diabolical and obviously the most infamous considering how he killed all but two of the Gaorangers. Rasetsu's run was fun though, I especially loved how Tsue-Tsue and Yabaiba were constantly cooking for Rasetsu. Then there's the episode where Yabaiba farts...

Man, I want to rewatch Gaoranger now.

Kuuguitar
Within Rasetsu's time contains one of my favorite Sentai episodes ever with the Charcoal Org, so yeah. Ura was the most diabolical and obviously the most infamous considering how he killed all but two of the Gaorangers. Rasetsu's run was fun though, I especially loved how Tsue-Tsue and Yabaiba were constantly cooking for Rasetsu. Then there's the episode where Yabaiba farts...

Man, I want to rewatch Gaoranger now.

The Rasetsu arc also included an episode solely dedicated to showing off their various mecha formations. :buttrock: