Theoretical Question for Fansubbers (kinda wishful thinking, but...)

Let's suppose that, tomorrow, something like a real-life Zordon Wave happens, but instead of making all evil dead, it makes every human on Earth simultaneously fluent in all human languages, even giving them whatever implied secondary knowledge they would need to understand phrases like "speak of Cao Cao and he is in the room."

If there's any fansubber here, my question is this:

Would such an event make you feel like all your efforts in fansubbing were for nothing/were a waste of time, or would you still regard it as time well spent and be glad something like this happened?

Shyni
This question sounds like it would apply just as much for professional translators.

Professional translators get paid, so they definitely got something for their efforts.

Man, I really wish I were an omniglot, and got every cultural reference ever. But, time, thou art so finite.

Lurker
I'm not a fansubber, but I'd say in a scenario as implied, life would be boring!

Let's Morphin
Let's suppose that, tomorrow, something like a real-life Zordon Wave happens, but instead of making all evil dead, it makes every human on Earth simultaneously fluent in all human languages, even giving them whatever implied secondary knowledge they would need to understand phrases like "speak of Cao Cao and he is in the room."

If there's any fansubber here, my question is this:

Would such an event make you feel like all your efforts in fansubbing were for nothing/were a waste of time, or would you still regard it as time well spent and be glad something like this happened?

tl:dr version: Wouldn't it be cool if the universal translators from Star Trek were real?

Lurker
It's be great though, if all Earthlings speak a common language like Aliens always do.

Otaku University Student
I've fansubbed and translated before and the answer is NO I would not feel that my efforts were a waste but I would mixed emotions regarding universal language. Of course, this would depend on why one fansubs to begin with. For someone like me who fansubbed to share my love for an unrecognized show, people still benefited from my fansubs before the event occurred, so I don't think my efforts were a waste. Also, while I would be glad that all works are now easily accessible and there will be no more silly arguments like liberal versus literal (ultimately to the benefit of the integrity of the original work), it would be suck to be out of a job/rendered irrelevant.

Nope, I think it honestly doesn't change a thing. If the TV-Nihon VS Overtime subs wars are of any indication. ;)

That's a pretty good implied scenario, but here's another:

Would it change international relationships in a way that effects us?

Keep in mind, we're not just sharing episodes of Tokusatsu, we're sharing our translations of it, and all for free. If there is no translations or any changes added, then basically we'd all just be pirates. Illegally sharing these files when we should be digging into our pockets and importing the DVDs for our personal pleasure.

Even if by magic we all suddenly spoke a universal language one day, that doesn't mean Japan will want to share EVERYTHING with the rest of world as soon as possible. A lot of content creators over there have the mind set "Why should we share it with you? We made this ourselves; for Japanese audiences only. Not for you." Sometimes it takes some convincing (and perhaps money) to make the studios, companies, and whoever is involved to share their properties with other countries. You should hear the funny story about FUNIMATION trying to get the rights to the original Japanese OP and ED themes for DBZ.