The Power Rangers Viewing Guide - What you need and don't need to see!

I wanna fly high....
Not to be a downer, but shouldn't people be able to form their own opinions? I mean, just watch a few episodes and decide which ones you like. I mean, I don't like telling people what they should and shouldn't watch and I don't like the same being done to me.

It's Judgement Time!
Well that's you Vash, I think. But I think it was a great idea. There's 700 eps of PR and if a newbie said to himself "hm, I want to get into the series. But I dont know where to start or what to watch. I cant afford to watch them all." then this is a great guide (potentially)

Besides, you've likely watched all thre is to know already so this guide shouldn't affect you or your PR watching pride at all

Heroes are forever
I like this idea, although it might get a while to get all the episodes together, from different people suggesting, etc.

And Vash, it's not like this thread is forcing anyone to watch it that way, if someone wants to see the full series, they're free to, this is just an alternative.

Help! Help!
The use of the term filler has always bugged me in toku. Mostly because I hear it used in anime so often to refer to episodes only in the anime when they catch up to the manga, and need to buff time. Considering the story in Toku is nearly always made for the show itself makes "filler" just seem like an inacurate term. "Fluff" seems more suitable a term for episodes with standalone stories.

Agreed. I reject the term "filler" unless its talking about anime adaptations, actually.

Filler is a term used to describe gaps in Anime that stray from the Manga for a set period or number of episodes. There is no filler in Toku. I get tired of seeing that term used.

wtf

What reality do you guys live in? The term "filler (episode)" has existed much longer than it has been used for manga-to-anime adaptations. It refers to any episode in a series that doesn't advance the plot, or in any way affect the status quo once that particular story arc has wrapped up.

This tends to be true for the original episodes in said anime series, so one use does not exclude the other... although it's also worth keeping in mind that episodes that do have basis in the manga can still be fillers, if they meet the previously mentioned conditions.

Banned
This guide is more of a aid for people who might want to only watch the key episodes in a season, for whatever reason (limited time, want's to avoid the dreck/anything not effecting the main story thats not notable etc).

And like i said, this guide is never set in stone, thats why i'm asking you guys what episodes you would deem Key to the series and must been seen. feel free to pipe up at anytime, though i'd like to stick to working on one season at a time.

Ill be moving on to MMPR season 2 soon, JSYK.

Bandito Shake Cometh

wtf

What reality do you guys live in? The term "filler (episode)" has existed much longer than it has been used for manga-to-anime adaptations. It refers to any episode in a series that doesn't advance the plot, or in any way affect the status quo once that particular story arc has wrapped up.

I'm as befuddled as you. Even if the anime fandom at large coined or popularized the term, that doesn't make it exclusive to anime. Nothing about a 'filler episode' limits the definition to anime. Or animation for that matter.

Bandito Shake Cometh
Oh, and regarding the actual (and more interesting) topic.

Day of the Dumpster
Food Fight
I, Eye Guy
Green With Evil 1-5
The Green Candle 1-2
Doomsday 1-2
Return of an Old Friend 1-2
Mighty Morphin Mutants

Those would be the staples i'd tell someone to watch. If they enjoyed Mutants and Food Fight, i'd encourage them to check out more of the standalone episodes. Though if you don't like standalone episodes, season 1 really ain't for you.

The end justiΦ's the means
MMPR (45) -(13/17/15)

Day of the Dumpster (I)
Green With Evil (XVI-XXI)
Gung-Ho! (XXVI)
The Green Candle (XXXIV-XXXV)
Doomsday (XXXIX-XL)
Return of an Old Friend (XLIX-L)
---------------------------------
The Mutiny (LXI-LXIII)
The Song of Guitardo (LXXI)
Green No More (LXXII-LXXIII)
Missing Green (LXXIV)
White Light (LXXVII-LXXVIII)
The Power Transfer (LXXXVII-LXXXVIII)
The Wedding (CI-CIII)
Return of the Green Ranger (CIV-CVI)
---------------------------------
The Ninja Quest (CXVI-CXIX)
Changing of the Zords (CXXX-CXXXII)
A Different Shade of Pink (CXXXIV-CXXXVI)
Master Vile and the Metallic Armor (CXL-CXLII)
Hogday Afternoon (CLIV-CLV)

Zeo (11)
A Zeo Beginning (CLVI-CLVII)
Graduation Blues (CLXV)
The Power of Gold (CLXXXII)
Revealations of Gold (CLXXXVII)
A Golden Homecoming (CLXXXVIII)
King For a Day (CXCVI-CXCVII)
Rangers of Two Worlds (CCI-CCII)
Good as Gold (CCIV)

Turbo (13)
Shift into Turbo (CCVI-CCVIII)
The Millenium Message (CCXVIII)
Passing the Torch (CCXXIII-CCXXIV)
The Phantom Phenomenon (CCXXVIII)
The Darkest Day (CCXXXI)
One Last Hope (CCXXXII)
The Fall of the Phantom (CCXXXIII)
Clash of the Megazords (CCXXXIV)
Chase into Space (CCXLIX-CCL)

in Space (20)
From Out of Nowhere (CCLI-CCLII)
A Wasp with a Heart (CCLX)
The Delta Discovery (CCLXI)
The Barillian Sting (CCLXIV)
Flashes of Darkonda (CCLXVI)
The Rangers's Mega Voyage (CCLXVII)
True Blue to the Rescue (CCLXVIII)
Survival of the Silver (CCLXX)
The Silver Secret (CCLXXII)
The Secret of the Locket (CCLXXVI)
Astronema Thinks Twice (CCLXXVII)
The Rangers's Leap of Faith (CCLXXVIII)
Dark Specter's Revenge (CCLXXIX-CCLXXX)
Mission to Secret City (CCLXXXVIII)
Ghosts in the Machine (CCLXXXIX)
The Impenetrable Web (CCXC)
Countdown to Destruction (CCXCII-CCXCIII)

I didn't count the entire Psycho Ranger saga, although it is recommended.

Banned
good list GK.
I've been working on looking at some epsiode on and off.

Ill add it and credit you.
Now, in to the lost galaxy!

Nice post!!
I'm as befuddled as you. Even if the anime fandom at large coined or popularized the term, that doesn't make it exclusive to anime. Nothing about a 'filler episode' limits the definition to anime. Or animation for that matter.

I'm baffled by the idea that apparently only anime based on manga have filler? Uh, no, I've seen filler in lots of anime that were composed for TV. Filler is just the result of a TV series getting a larger episode order than the plot can support, so some episodes are spent on things of little consequence.

Tokusatsu certainly has filler, though I would say that for vintage toku the term is less appropriate. Filler is a term that implies that forward plot movement is good and anything else is bad, but older toku were designed so that you got a complete adventure each week.

At the time, that was an appropriate way to design a show. It was very unlikely that anyone would see every episode of any TV show. Forward plot movement only became more interesting to fans in the past 20 years, when various technology advances made it possible to rewatch TV shows in their entirety very easily.