The Power Rangers Netflix Experience: Visiting Lost Galaxy

Been using the magic of Netflix to check out old Power Rangers stuff, namely the stuff I'm clueless on. I watched the first couple Lost Galaxy eps, as this was very much a "Blink and you'll miss it season" where I lived, thanks to network changes and time slot bumps.

It's neat, in a kids sci-fi kind of way, though if I was a kid coming from Space to this season, I'd be kinda puzzled why there was so much Star Trek in my Power Rangers.

Quasar Quest is a neat experiment in building the first post-Angel Grove setting. Its the Near Future (tm), Earth's set up its first fully functional space colony, and people are vying to get in. While it doesn't seem to say whether Earth is in dire straits, a lot of people are wanting in on Terra Venture, and the only way to get the proverbial Golden Ticket is to have the right connections or resources or be military.

Random point: Why was the elderly woman wandering the back alley on her way to the space port? Did she get really lost and wander onto the TMNT set on accident and got attacked by goons?

Looking back, one can catch a few remnants of Gingaman: The mystic tribal land, only here its a far-off planet reached through sudden portals. Also, there's the hotshot brother taking up the sword for his brother, who falls into a crevice but who will return... later. (dun-Dun-DUN)

The original villain outfits are pretty cool, especially the wasp-like Sting Wingers. We've come along way sense Morphin' in regards of original minion designs ("Okay, lets take the old Putty outfits and put a giant Z on them. That's good!) Some are almost a bit too creepy, and it leaves me wondering who they were aiming for at this point in Rangers History.

Overall, a pretty interesting watch, and I'll check out some more. It also has me really wanting to watch more Gingaman as well. :p

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
I've been waiting for Power Rangers to head back to outer space since then, its an aspect of PR that has been sorely missing for a long time.

Lost Galaxy really holds a special place for me, mostly because it was the only one I can really remember. I think I was prime core audience age when it was going on because I remember having the Quasar cycle, the knife things (Those things were THE ****), the Bull mech, and the morpher. It's pretty much what Mighty Morphin is to everyone else around my age because for some reason they remember it so well.

Resident Precureologist
Lost Galaxy went to places no other ranger series went, and not just metaphorically. It was the first time there was a military organization that had two of its members as rangers. It was the first time a ranger died on screen(though that was reversed.) And it was the first time they had biological zords.

It was a fun series, where the rangers and villains were equally fun to watch.

Lurker
I've been waiting for Power Rangers to head back to outer space since then, its an aspect of PR that has been sorely missing for a long time.

Only if Sentai does it. Lost Galaxy was from a time when Power Rangers weren't afraid to be different from Sentai. Sure, RPM was different, but that seemed to be a special case. Point is, our best bet for a new space Sentai, unless Saban feels like changing it up for future seasons, I wouldn't hold my breath. (That last sentence wasn't a put down. I do enjoy Samurai very much, but it's almost exact match to Shinkenger does remove a little luster form PR big return.)

Funny enough, I just watched Power of Pink, since I always wanted to see it (wasn't included on the Best of Power Rangers DVD :redface2:). Definitely approve of PR being on Netflix. :)

Lost Galaxy went to places no other ranger series went, and not just metaphorically. It was the first time there was a military organization that had two of its members as rangers. It was the first time a ranger died on screen(though that was reversed.) And it was the first time they had biological zords.

It was a fun series, where the rangers and villains were equally fun to watch.

It's pretty ambitious, especially some of their original suit design. Trakeena's outfit, both her normal and battle suit, are pretty impressive both in design and booty villianess levels. It also helps that her actress uses just the right amount of ham in her acting.

I've gotten through ep 8 so far, and its now got me wondering whether Saban and Bandai have something in their contract that lists how much original footage and outfits they have to use in each episode. I'm noticing that, with the exception of some in-between stuff and various fight footage, there's not much Gingaman to be had. It's still not as bad as the Angel Grove stuff, where they'd literally just use the mecha footage, and have the rest be the rangers gadding about it Zyuranger outfits (alternately, 10+ minutes of Bulk and Skull hamming it up).

Friendship and the Cosmos.
I liked Lost Galaxy. I really did, it wasn't a bad series at all, considering how it was the first of the Post-Zordon era PR. As much as I enjoyed Gingaman, it was cool how LG was definitely different. I don't know who produced it, but I am glad they didn't go in the TimeRanger/TimeForce route and basically make a carbon copy of Gingaman.

It was pretty ambitious. Though, I wonder if Space-themed stuff was big in 2000.

It stinks.
The original villain outfits are pretty cool, especially the wasp-like Sting Wingers. We've come along way sense Morphin' in regards of original minion designs ("Okay, lets take the old Putty outfits and put a giant Z on them. That's good!) Some are almost a bit too creepy, and it leaves me wondering who they were aiming for at this point in Rangers History.

I always thought the Sting Wingers and Quantrons were the best-looking foot soldiers in all of Power Rangers.

Here's something that might be of interest:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28_ZpDzVeCQ"]YouTube - ‪Power Rangers Lost Galaxy on Access Hollywood segment‬‏[/ame]

Last edited:
CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
Quantrons! I loved those guys!

Only if Sentai does it. Lost Galaxy was from a time when Power Rangers weren't afraid to be different from Sentai. Sure, RPM was different, but that seemed to be a special case. Point is, our best bet for a new space Sentai, unless Saban feels like changing it up for future seasons, I wouldn't hold my breath. (That last sentence wasn't a put down. I do enjoy Samurai very much, but it's almost exact match to Shinkenger does remove a little luster form PR big return.)

Yeah but even if they don't go in outer space even back in MMPR you had the feeling that outer space was teeming with life and mattered. You constantly had evil space aliens coming from far off places, Zordon and Rita talking about other planets, you had alien rangers, and space empires and stuff.

Basically you felt like the Rangers were part of a much larger universe. You could imagine 'Expended universe' stories like for Star Wars and Star Trek. Nowaday evrything feels just so...limited, so tightly centered on the rangers and their home town you just don't get that anymore.

I want the sci-fi back in PR dangit!

has left HJU. Not coming back.
Power Rangers Lost Galaxy was fucking awesome! I can't forget how awesome it was!

DAMN IT, SABAN! GET THEM ON DVD!