Does anyone else feel that by near the end of Disc 3, FFVIII's plot turned into spaghetti? By that, I mean it turned into a rushed, convoluted product that suddenly forced Ultimecia to become the main villain.

Administrator
Staff member
Does it? It's been a spell since I last played and I can't quite remember how they made that transition. I may have forgiven the game for that because of the final version of Ultimecia looking so bizarre.

Also, Triple Triad FTW.

I honestly felt it was a little bit forced too, and that everything happened so fast.. It didn't necessarily feel like the plot turned into spaghetti like you said, but it definitely felt rushed. The game is still great though and something I hope they remake one day on our current generation consoles.

Well, not quite it depends on how you view it, I think the plot is great and the game is still good, it is true that Ultimecia is the principal but the plot is good.

I honestly felt it was a little bit forced too, and that everything happened so fast.. It didn't necessarily feel like the plot turned into spaghetti like you said, but it definitely felt rushed. The game is still great though and something I hope they remake one day on our current generation consoles.
They skipped FFVIII on the remakes, and they went straight to FFIX, I do hope they make a remake for FFVIII though. I enjoyed the early parts of the game.

They skipped FFVIII on the remakes, and they went straight to FFIX, I do hope they make a remake for FFVIII though. I enjoyed the early parts of the game.
Really? I didn't know that, that's really a shame. I don't understand this decision, FF VIII was great and squall is one of the most popular characters along with the other members of the cast.. That's a strange choice to make.

Anyway, plot aside, I still enjoyed the parallel between Laguna and Julia, and Squall and Rinoa. Quite an unfortunate romance for the former.

I agree that it felt rushed, but then again I can't think of a game that is better in the second half than in the first. Almost all games fall apart near the end. Usually it's the gameplay that suffers, not the plot however.

It was quite unfortunate that they did not release the FFVIII Remake. I think it is because the plot astounded them too. You've got to agree that compared to other games in the series like FFIX, FFXIII does not exactly have the simplest plot. This is making it really difficult to come up with a suitable remake. It is my hope that the remake comes out on PS5 because it is too late to be released on PS4.

Yeah. It is true that near the end, the developers rushed it and almost destroyed the game. That is an area they have to put into consideration. But the overall plot was amazing.