has left HJU. Not coming back.
Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle are the best films ever.

Actually, Akiyama, there are 2 version, US and HK version in Shaolin Soccer DVD. It was awesome.

And also, Kung Fu Hustle was also original and it is on US' DVD as well.

Anywho, I'm soooo excited for Kung Fu Hustle 2! YAY!

boogie woogie feng shui
Akiyama said:
Hey, how about those stephen chow flicks? I only have gotten into them recently after watching(and buying) Shoulin Soccer.(which I'm sure that the original title was changed for the american dvd release) He really balances the comedy, and action/drama(for lack of a better word) very well.

No, Shaolin Soccer (Siu-lam Juk-kau = "of Shaolin") was the original title. Stephen Chow is a very good comedian but I think his best works are often overlooked. This is mainly due to the fact that people have only heard of Shaolin Soccer and (less often) Kung Fu Hustle and think Chow is some new emerging star or something, but I personally prefer his older works like Fight Back to School, From Beijing With Love, Fist of Fury 1991, Curry and Pepper, and God of Cookery to his newer films.

And the subtitles on the US Shaolin Soccer/Kung Fu Hustle DVDs are sometimes pretty wrong. It doesn't make much of a difference if you just want the general idea of what's going on but there are some names and phrases that have been completely omitted/changed for no apparent reason.

Kung Fu Hustle was pretty shitty compared to his older stuff, disappointed that he is making Kung Fu Hustle 2 i heard he was gonna make somthing like God of Cookery 2.

Bolt said:
The Stormriders was one of the better mid-late 90's wuxia-pan films that came out along with The Duel, Duel to the Death, Butterfly Sword, and The Three Swordsmen. It was based on a Chinese comic that I didn't really like but the movie was actually pretty awesome, and I'm not even a very big wuxia fan.

mmmmmmmmmm stormriders...

good movie then i remmber its based off a comic which explains some of the plain silliness that happens.

and what happened to the cute skinny girl who talked too much at the end?

she just was unspoken of.

boogie woogie feng shui
Are you talking about Shu Qi (Muse)? Her whole role in the film was comic relief, it doesn't really matter what happened to her. :laugh:

Some of Bolt's Premium Picks for the day:

Fighter in the Wind- The story of Choi Baedal (later known as Masutatsu Oyama) as he progresses from war hero to street urchin to hero of Japanese women everywhere. This film is gorgeously shot and masterfully directed. The fights are also damn good. A lot of them lack any real choreography but it's refreshing to see a hard-hitting style of fights with actual contact made (something we very very rarely get nowadays) that doesn't try to emulate something from Ong Bak. The fights depict Baedal's style of Kyokushin kara-te very accurately and the training scenes were astoundingly cool.

Something I learned from this film: When hit hard enough, saliva turns into milk.

Shaolin vs. Lama- Alexander Lo Rei is by far one of my favorite oldschool stars, and looking back, he's much more capable than most of the stars of today. When teamed with Robert Tai and Chen Shan like he was pretty often back in the day, unbelievably badass kung fu films were usually the result (okay, **** Snake Princess :laugh:). Shaolin vs. Lama's fights are undercranked but it's hardly noticeable; you'll be more amazed by the agility, timing, and acrobatic ability of the HK and Taiwanese stuntment and by the colorful, aesthetically pleasing Taiwanese landscape backgrounds complete with yin tei pagodas and red dirt roads (say nothing of the Lama's wild robes). The last fight at the river bank pretty much has to be seen to be believed: the audience gets to witness some sick falls, a Chen Shan sweep that is so fast that it occupies about 2 frames, and the astounding weaponswork of Mr. Tai.

Something I learned from this film: The longer a Shaolin monk's eyebrows, the more they like chicken.

Bolt said:
Fighter in the Wind- The story of Choi Baedal (later known as Masutatsu Oyama) as he progresses from war hero to street urchin to hero of Japanese women everywhere. This film is gorgeously shot and masterfully directed. The fights are also damn good. A lot of them lack any real choreography but it's refreshing to see a hard-hitting style of fights with actual contact made (something we very very rarely get nowadays) that doesn't try to emulate something from Ong Bak. The fights depict Baedal's style of Kyokushin kara-te very accurately and the training scenes were astoundingly cool.

I have the dvd. Just by watching this movie alone makes me wanna pick up the fighting style, but the training in modern days aren't as hard as they used to be, pussies. :laugh:

boogie woogie feng shui
I trained Kyokushin for just short of 4 years, and the training was pretty damn hard. I was lucky to find a school that wasn't a "McDojo" and the master and lower instructors were extremely skilled. I gave up Kyokushin and hapkido later though to persue Muay Thai/san shou fight competitions. Kinda wish I hadn't now. :shakefist

Haha, speaking of san shou training, I used to have to do these things called "puke drills" in which there were 6 stations set up (calisthenics, kicking, hand striking, throws, falls, and free fighting) and you'd have 2 minutes at each station doing the push ups/situps/wallsits or powerkicking the heavy bag or drilling the focus mits or throwing/being thrown, sparring, whatever, for the solid 2 minutes and you'd run through every station twice nonstop. Needless to say, by the end of the run you'd be sucking air and would have about 1/26th of the power and speed you have when you started, and you couldn't drink any water for about 3 or 4 minutes after you finished or you'd vomit it back up, but it really taught how to pace your tempo and built good cardiovascular endurance. Yay.

I'm not sure you'd want to be part of Choi Baedal's original training routine though. He used to train in the snow for like 6 or 7 hours a day, etc. They didn't use this in the film, but in actuality he brought a student with him for company and to train with and it was so rough that the student ran away.

Thanks for the info about Bo Bo Ho, but after googlin' with the name Sik Siu Lung, I found the name Kok Siu Man. he played 2gether with Sik Siu in a couple of movies. His a.k.a is Bo Bo Ho.

But still I thank you! :dance:

boogie woogie feng shui
Oh, you're talking about the little penis-stretching kid. :laugh: