The Official Fight Sports Discussion Thread (MMA, Boxing, etc.)

Throwing Some Justice!
Got the idea from Bolt and I do feel we need one of these. Anyways, I decided I'm getting back into boxing after all these years and I'm going to check out this event tomorrow as a start for me.

http://sports.sho.com/sswbc/events/abraham-taylor-froch-dirrell-oct-17-2009.html

Oh, does anybody know any good kickboxing events that could be airing sometime this year? I wanted to check out what that sport has to offer aswell.

boogie woogie feng shui
Good idea, me! Hopefully this thread will stay afloat like the wrestling thread has.

I love boxing, but I hardly ever watch it anymore because I think it's really gone downhill as a sport since the early 90s. There's too much played up hype, too much politics, and too goddamn much clinching. I don't think I've seen a fight in years that hadn't had to be stopped every ten seconds for excessive clinching. There are a few bright spots in the business like Pacquiao, though. I was excited when I heard Mayweather was making a comeback because of the prospect of a Mayweather/Pacquiao fight. I would love to finally see Pacquiao prove the naysayers wrong once and for all.

I've fallen out of love with MMA a bit lately, too. There's so little going on in Japan and UFC is pushing too much for new talent when they should be doing a better job of putting interesting card together. Generally either every fight on a PPV is a must-see or I couldn't care less about any of them. I still support my favorites, though, and I like the game when it's not oversaturated by all the macho bullshit. The sport is still in its infancy, so once all the punks get weeded out it should be a lot more respectable and interesting to follow.

Being a striker myself, mostly what I watch these days is K-1 World MAX, Muay Thai, and Kyokushin karate fights. You would probably enjoy K-1, Immortal. It's a standup sport that combines techniques from all kinds of different striking disciplines and the athletes that fight for them are the best in the world. Their big tournament is actually coming up on the 26th of this month. I'll toss you a torrent link when rips start hitting the internet. In the meantime, check out this awesome video Shunsuke made to highlight the past few years of World MAX:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqAYcYb8jb8[/ame]

WIIIIIIIIIIII!
Ok, first of all, don't take this post as an attack, 'cause I'm genuinely trying to get something here.

I've never really understood the appeal of "real" fighting sports like boxing and MMA. I guess it's because I really enjoy watching a good choreographed fight from martial arts movies or wrestling that I have trouble watching people really trying to hurt each other. Partly because it's real, and partly because there's nothing flashy to trying to beat the **** out of a guy. What draws you guys to it?

boogie woogie feng shui
Ok, first of all, don't take this post as an attack, 'cause I'm genuinely trying to get something here.

I've never really understood the appeal of "real" fighting sports like boxing and MMA. I guess it's because I really enjoy watching a good choreographed fight from martial arts movies or wrestling that I have trouble watching people really trying to hurt each other. Partly because it's real, and partly because there's nothing flashy to trying to beat the **** out of a guy. What draws you guys to it?

This is a hard question to answer because there's so much to say on the topic. I guess I should preface my response by saying that it's rare for a guy to actually attempt to hurt another competitor during a bout. It's generally about testing your skills against another experienced fighter and seeing who comes out on top; injuries are actually fairly infrequent and hardly ever inflicted on purpose. I guess you would have to be a martial artist or combat-sport competitor to really understand the psychology behind the "warrior spirit." It's easy for an objective audience to say "that's stupid, they're just beating the **** out of each other for no reason," but the fight itself is all the reason in the world for the fighter. At the end of the day it's not about dominating your opponents and being feared and respected by your enemies, but understanding yourself and expressing yourself through the fight; the real competition is always with yourself. Look at Ryu from Street Fighter. That guy didn't begrudge anybody (except Bison, but shut up), he didn't care about trophies or glory, he was always just looking for that next fight, because even though he had beaten everybody there was to beat, he still didn't feel like he had mastered himself. A true fighter never retires. I don't fight anymore, and even I occasionally thirst for the thrill of battle even if it doesn't seem like there's anything to gain because it's not a "real" combat situation. I don't know, it's hard to describe. But that's what drives me to it. Not violence per se, although that goes with the territory, but... freedom, empowerment, and understanding.

As for the second part of your question, again, you have to have experience with combat strategy and application to really be able to appreciate solid head movement, a perfectly timed counterpunch or expert reversal on the ground. There might not be anything *flashy* about "real" combat in the kung fu movie sense, but trust me, watching a master fighter do what he does best is really a thing of beauty. Any fool with legs can learn how to do a back crescent or a tornado kick, but to watch two fighters struggle with each other and with themselves, timing, zoning, anticipating, reacting, countering... that's something really special.

I dunno. I'm a burnout, don't listen to me.

Noob member
This is a hard question to answer because there's so much to say on the topic. I guess I should preface my response by saying that it's rare for a guy to actually attempt to hurt another competitor during a bout. It's generally about testing your skills against another experienced fighter and seeing who comes out on top; injuries are actually fairly infrequent and hardly ever inflicted on purpose. I guess you would have to be a martial artist or combat-sport competitor to really understand the psychology behind the "warrior spirit." It's easy for an objective audience to say "that's stupid, they're just beating the **** out of each other for no reason," but the fight itself is all the reason in the world for the fighter. At the end of the day it's not about dominating your opponents and being feared and respected by your enemies, but understanding yourself and expressing yourself through the fight; the real competition is always with yourself. Look at Ryu from Street Fighter. That guy didn't begrudge anybody (except Bison, but shut up), he didn't care about trophies or glory, he was always just looking for that next fight, because even though he had beaten everybody there was to beat, he still didn't feel like he had mastered himself. A true fighter never retires. I don't fight anymore, and even I occasionally thirst for the thrill of battle even if it doesn't seem like there's anything to gain because it's not a "real" combat situation. I don't know, it's hard to describe. But that's what drives me to it. Not violence per se, although that goes with the territory, but... freedom, empowerment, and understanding.

As for the second part of your question, again, you have to have experience with combat strategy and application to really be able to appreciate solid head movement, a perfectly timed counterpunch or expert reversal on the ground. There might not be anything *flashy* about "real" combat in the kung fu movie sense, but trust me, watching a master fighter do what he does best is really a thing of beauty. Any fool with legs can learn how to do a back crescent or a tornado kick, but to watch two fighters struggle with each other and with themselves, timing, zoning, anticipating, reacting, countering... that's something really special.

I dunno. I'm a burnout, don't listen to me.
For most respectable fighters, your description of it all hit it right on the nail Bolt.

BEST IN THE WORLD!!!
Yeah, Bolt pretty much summed it up for me. I do watch a bit of boxing, but I'm not as crazy about it as MMA. I am looking forward to seeing manny pacquiao's next fight

**** the UFC, **** Lyoto Machida, **** the Judges.

That was one of the worst robberies I've seen in recent memory.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

BEST IN THE WORLD!!!
**** the UFC, **** Lyoto Machida, **** the Judges.

That was one of the worst robberies I've seen in recent memory.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I disagree. I'm happy that Machida won, but not by UA. I think it should've been by split, w/ Machida taking the first 3 rounds, and Shogun taking rounds 4 & 5

I had Shogun winning rounds 1, 2, and 4. Machida might've just edged out round 3 and round 5 was a toss up.

And why would you ever want a fight to end in a split decision? If you thought Machida won, then he won. Unless you're not even sure of your own judgment.