I know there are some fellow fansubbers on this board, and I thought it could be interesting to have a little discussion about the subbing process of some of the tokusatsu shows.
No matter what show you are subbing, the timing and translations will always be killers, but I think some shows are worse than others.

Ok, so I will start out:

EASIEST:
This has to be Garo. Both the original and Makai Senki are among some of the easiest shows I have ever subbed.
I admit, I usually make double lines when two people are speaking to each other, as it makes the timing process a lot easier, but even when I was doing single lines, there were episodes were I only got up to 75 or 100 lines.
Other than that, Garo is not a show that uses puns. It may have used a few, but it is very rare and usually very easy to translate.

MOST DIFFICULT
Akibaranger!!!
I love this show so much, but it is a pain to sub! Most of the episodes have around 400+ lines, and not only is the dialogue between the characters very fast, it is also full of puns and jokes that takes some creativity to translate.
I could sub a Garo episode in a day, but an Akibaranger episode could easily take 2-3 days.

Lurker
Well I've timed 30 episodes of Fiveman for GUIS, and I will probably nominate it for the hardest show to sub :p

It has a lot of
-Many characters talking at the same time
-Very quick dialogues
-Digitally altered voices

Well I've timed 30 episodes of Fiveman for GUIS

Could everyone in this thread specify which group they sub with maybe? I know we get a lot of the O-T crew on here and such, but I have a hard time remembering who is with what group, and also if theres a group I havent heard of I'd love to check them out (Stronger for example pointed me towards GomenRider's Garo the other day, and I had no idea there was a complete sub set for Agito, which they apparently released, so now I have two new shows on my hard drive ready to marathon and a reason to finally finish Kuuga). I don't really have anything to contribute to the thread beyond requesting that, but I'll definitely be following it with interest.

Oh, and thanks to everyone who fansubs things :)

MOST DIFFICULT
Akibaranger!!!
I love this show so much, but it is a pain to sub! Most of the episodes have around 400+ lines, and not only is the dialogue between the characters very fast, it is also full of puns and jokes that takes some creativity to translate.
I could sub a Garo episode in a day, but an Akibaranger episode could easily take 2-3 days.

I'd imagine. I've read many people comment that the hardest things to sub are those with tons of references to other media.

The Yoshihiko show must've been really hard.

Let's Morphin
I'd imagine. I've read many people comment that the hardest things to sub are those with tons of references to other media.

I've been working on Gokaiger blu-rays and filling in the missing references over-time missed.

I think I remember reading how much of a pain it was to translate Cancer's jokes in Fourze, especially for Over-Time :sweat:.

Workaholics United
The Yoshihiko show must've been really hard.

Yup. We had captions, but some references were tricky to pin down. The 2ch/Futaba threads were incredibly helpful! Akiba, Encounter and GCCX fit under that category as well.

The easiest so far have been Makai no Hana (so far it's been the shortest of all the Garos) and the Doraemon commercials (they're 30s commercials :v)

I think I remember reading how much of a pain it was to translate Cancer's jokes in Fourze, especially for Over-Time :sweat:.

Obligatory "**** rakugo".