The Last of Us Part 2 Story Backlash Could Be Marketing

Administrator
Staff member
Back in 2013, The Last of Us is the game of the year. It was praised for its gameplay that combines stealth, horror, and action. It has a plot that shows love, not the romantic kind but the Platonic kind and the Paternal kind. Aside from the impressive gameplay, controls, and graphics the game have characters and story that resonates with people. People fell in love with the relationship between Joel and Ellie. Two strangers who became father and daughter on their adventures on a Fungal Zombie apocalypse. Ellie is also a glass ceiling breaking character because she is gay yet she is universally relatable to people from all walks of life. She is an LGBT character that managed to connect to even the people who mostly discriminate her. So the first game has a positive social impact as well despite being a violent videogame that most politicians demonize. It is groundbreaking for its time.
People expect its sequel to be as universally loved but it ends up into this polarizing medium...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Staff member
What does the title of this mean? That Naughty Dog deliberately fanned the flames of controversy to sell more copies? You do realize people who worked on the game have received death threats, right? NG knows firsthand how toxic the Internet can get; you're suggesting they would willfully endanger their own employees for publicity's sake. And as much as Druckmann is guilty of, he's never gone THAT far.

Administrator
Staff member
That's a pretty serious accusation. What evidence do you have that they engaged in outrage marketing?

Administrator
Staff member
because that is their intention get controversy from old school fans to get casuals. Capcom have done that multiple times to their most loyal fanbase. The fact Druckman is taunting fans means its intentional.

Administrator
Staff member
I based that on the actions of Druckman himself who taunts fans unapologetically. It works because the game sold 4 million copies now because it makes casual curious to buy the game.

I know Capcom is a different company from Naughty Dog but they did Outrage marketing to their own fanbase multiple times. It's like pro-wrestling, Hated heel wrestlers always get longer title reigns.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did this. I am still not entirely convinced that the Sonic Movie makers released that horrible design first to stir up some controversy to get more people on board when the real one was released. People did overreact for this game, clearly. Who sends someone death threats over a video game?

Administrator
Staff member
Fans hated Abby so much they sent death threats to her actress. Neil Druckmann just admitted it is his intention to make Abby hateable as possible.

Fans hated Abby so much they sent death threats to her actress. Neil Druckmann just admitted it is his intention to make Abby hateable as possible.
What did he expect would happen when we live in a culture that is hellbent on overreacting? I don't think this is a good thing to do. Like sure, we are bound to hate characters in stories but there are people who will take this as a personal attack.