The King's Affection, K-Drama Series Adapted From a Webtoon, Available on Netflix

What does the Fox say?
Staff member
<p>Webtoons are South Korean webcomics that have gained mainstream popularity in various countries. They cover many genres: horror, romance, comedy, historical, etc. Netflix has decided to ride the “Korean wave” by streaming K-drama series based on webtoons. These adaptations are enjoying tremendous success. One such series is “The King’s Affection”. Netflix made this series available worldwide on October 11, 2021, which is also the exact date it was aired on KBS2 (Korean Broadcasting System). The webtoon which has the same title was written and drawn by Lee SoYoung. “The King’s Affection” is a romance/historical fiction Korean drama with 20 episodes. As soon as you watch the first episode, it will be hard for you to say “Eh! I’m not interested.”</p>

There's Plastic tree
Webtoon adaptation seem to have high success rate with Netflix. None got canceled by far and Heartstopper got renewed to completion.

Oh this is the actress from Attorney Kayak DEED Woo Young Woo. I thought she is really autistic. I got fooled.

Kapow!
I have noticed that there are quite a few South Korean dramas that have heterosexual women crossdressing. It almost seems as though they have the fantasy that butch lesbians can become straight.

I am a Billy Eilish in a world of Ariana Grandes
I watched Extraordinary Attorney Woo, a drama starring Park Eun-bin, after finishing this one. I was so impressed by her acting skills. She did a good job portraying a woman who was crossdresser in this drama, and in the subsequent drama Extraordinary Attorney Woo Young Woo, she completely changed how she looked. What's more impressive is how the voice altered. What I liked best: I naturally assumed that the high-pitched tone in Extraordinary Attorney Woo was dubbed, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it wasn't because she was forced to speak in such a low tone throughout the entirety of this drama. Whether she was acting as a male or female throughout the drama, she consistently conveyed the character's personality and demeanor, which gave the character a more realistic appearance. Her portrayal of the character's personality and demeanor in The King's Affection was another aspect of the performance that I adored. She clearly gave her acting performance a lot of thought, as evidenced by this.

Oi Oi Oi
A cleverly crafted story with an engaging and entertaining plot. The audience can understand the character's complexity because of the actors' extraordinary talent. They are real people who are living their lives freely and authentically! It was only natural for me to feel a connection to the character Ji-un as a result. It is a masterfully directed, stunning piece of storytelling. More consideration must be given to the set, including the plants and animals, as well as the actors' hair and makeup. These minor mistakes would not have been present if the production hadn't been imperfect. Since watching this Korean drama for the first time, I have looked for another that is equally as good. Unfortunately, none of the others come close to meeting my standards.

Not an Elephant, I am a leach
This is ended right? No way this will have another Season because Attorney Woo got renewed.

Ultimate Hannah Montana fan
This drama got a perfect score of 10 because it had a moving story, great actors, and a great cast. The truth is that this is one of my favorites. Every drama that Park Eun Bin is in ends up being the most popular one to date because of her. People think she is a man because of how convincing she is when she acts. I cried and laughed a lot, and I thought the whole thing was very beautiful and had a lot of meaning.

Webtoon adaptation seem to have high success rate with Netflix. None got canceled by far and Heartstopper got renewed to completion.
I just learned about webtoons a few years ago. Webtoon writers and artists have an incentive to produce because they know there is a possibility their work might be adapted to film.

This drama got a perfect score of 10 because it had a moving story, great actors, and a great cast. The truth is that this is one of my favorites. Every drama that Park Eun Bin is in ends up being the most popular one to date because of her. People think she is a man because of how convincing she is when she acts. I cried and laughed a lot, and I thought the whole thing was very beautiful and had a lot of meaning.
Netflix is how I got started watching Korean dramas. I have to say that if I were preparing a Top 5 List of Best Historical Korean Dramas on Netflix, this one would make my list. I have a few other favorites but they are not based on a webtoon.