The Kids Are Back In Dungeons & Dragons: Saturday Morning Adventures

Latest News & Videos

PopGeeks

Administrator
<p>There’s a new movie set in the world of Dungeons & Dragons coming soon, and it’s not the first one. But way before any other type of media existed, way back in the early 80s, when the game itself was young, there was just ONE Hollywood interpretation of D&D. For many, it was their introduction to the notion that the game existed. We’re talking, of course, about the Saturday Morning cartoon.</p>

Noriaki85

I have a blurry memory of this cartoon as a kid. All I remember is that a group of teens goes in a carnival ride called Dungeons and Dragons and they got transported into a different world. The boy who became the Knight is also super annoying. It lasted for three seasons I think.

OkiDoki

Seriously Unserious
Even if it's only going to take place in the comics, I really, really need there to be some kind of conclusion to this story, and I really, really hope that IDW will make that happen. The last panel of the cartoon that aired on Saturday morning was missing its conclusion. Instead, the pivotal scene is retold in the form of an audiodrama, with several of the original cast members acting it out once again. Something you can see is better than something you can hear though.

Riot

Under My Spell
The Jem and the Holograms story has been retold by IDW Publishing, and it is a vast improvement over that awful Hollywood version. I have faith that IDW will be able to treat Saturday Morning D&D with the esteem that it warrants. It is very similar to an Isekai, with the exception that a group of people are transported rather than a single person. Because Toei Animation was the company that created the animation, one can say that it had an impact on subsequent Anime. I mean that there is an overwhelming quantity of isekai in Japan.

PredatorArno

It didn't strike me as an especially entertaining program, but I wasn't able to watch it when I was younger, and the only parts I've seen are snippets on Dailymotion and YouTube. In light of this and the D&D-branded films that have been produced, I think it would be best for them to stick to tabletop and video games. Personally, I think that neither the movie nor the cartoon's scripts were written by D&D players. Instead of emphasizing the characters and who they are as people, they place an excessive amount of emphasis on the classes and what they can do.

Riot

Under My Spell
This is IDW though, this comics company had been able to turn turd into gold with all their adaptations.

kermitfries

Froggy Afternoon
I've only seen titbits online, but wasn't it a major plot point that the kids were "Isekai'd" to the D&D world and never returned because the show was cancelled? . If they actually make an effort to resolve the story once and for all, that is very commendable of them. As a result, the publication of this comic will make it possible for these children, who have spent an unending amount of time in the D&D universe, to leave and go back to their own world.

Maggie2910

It's a good thing they changed Diana's leggings to the Acrobat design because the ones she was wearing before were way too revealing and hoochie for a girl of her age. When I think back to the 1980s and 1990s, I can't believe how sexualized underage cartoon characters were portrayed. Do not accuse me of being a prude; the fact that Wonder Woman is an adult 100 years old means that I have no problem with her wearing her unitard and corset. Diana the Acrobat on the other hand has not yet reached high school. She is still a middle schooler.

The script for the final episode, which was titled "Requiem," has been circulating on the internet since the 1990s. It was in its original form when I read it, as I recall. I really hope that, now that they have the publishing rights to these comic book adaptations, IDW will make good use of this opportunity. Some one made a fan made live action movie of this canceled finale too but I don't know where to find it.

Bulma

I remember those conservative parents accusing this show to be too violent for tv. 😅 I mean it is too tame compare to anime and a lot of shows kids watch these days. Oh, how I miss the late 1970s and 1980s, when toys and cartoons encouraged kids to use their imaginations. If it weren't for the cartoon, I wouldn't have known anything about Dungeons & Dragons (D&D). I really liked watching this when I was a kid! I have never played table tops, but I really liked this cartoon and was sad when it ended. I hope this comics will get to live by the essence and spirit of the cartoon. I am more into Anime but I did love this cartoon.

Owlbear

I only knew D&D through videogames, movies and the table top. My dad taught me to play Tabletop RPG D&D because all of his friends outgrew it. So do I need to watch the cartoons before I read these comics?

Whitethoms

Let there be peace on earth
It was a Saturday morning show contender for all-time greatness in the 1980s, ranking among the best of all time. This television show hasn't been turned into a full-length movie yet. One of my top five favorites, without a doubt. Every time I hear the show's closing theme song, I can never help but feel a twinge of melancholy and on the verge of tears. I've got a copy of it saved even on my phone. One of the best episodes is the stargazer one, which ranks among my top five favorites. Diana meets the stargazer here for the first time; he or she will later grow to be her true love. I can't quite put my finger on why, but there is something about this episode that really resonates with me. In every way, this cartoon is incredible. Unknown 1980s animation history hero who should be revered as a legend. This might influence my choice to buy comics again. The last time I bought a comicbook is back in the 90s.

David Mccoy

This classic cartoon series was my top pick as a child. In comparison to the other adaptations they've made, it's surprising that Hollywood hasn't considered turning this into a film series yet. Fans of the original Dungeons and Dragons series would undoubtedly be saddened to see this adaptation of the game turned into a film series. @toddj82 Thanks for sharing that, I always want to see the ending.

Momenttix

I first learned about Dungeons & Dragons right around the time I turned 10 years old. This cartoon was released when I was 10 years old. Regrettably, the cartoon came to an end before our main characters could return to their hometown. Please explain that in terms that are more familiar to Dungeons & Dragons. The D&D effort was not successful in achieving its objective. As is the case with the vast majority of Dungeons & Dragons games, real life got in the way, and as a result, play was discontinued. I have a lot of faith that the IDW comics will be just as entertaining as the cartoon was for me.

Karen

I need to talk to your manager!
I will never forget the episode when Hank became a Blue nosed Baboon. I'm not a gamer, so I've never played any of the D&D tabletop games, but the 1980s animated series was unquestionably one of the best! I enjoyed how the characters interacted with one another, and I thought the acting did an excellent job of capturing the characters' genuine emotions. Who among us could not imagine battling monstrosities armed with such powerful weapons? It's difficult for me to believe that a comic book has been published to continue the previously unfinished story. I am so happy this is real.

Miika

Staff member
Dungeons & Dragon is one of my favorite game genres. I also like watching Dungeons & Dragon movies. However, I don't remember any shows from the 80s. (I was not even born back then)

Now on Kickstarter

Latest News

Who's on Discord?

Latest posts