The JAPANESE SUPERHEROES! Show in San Francisco: July 9, 2010!

I understood that. I didn't ask what he meant, I asked what his point was. A lot of fans, such as yourself, are too close to this stuff to be objective or see the Bigger Picture, sometimes. Despite the "negative" connotation of "Power Rangers" versus the Japanese originals, the General Public still needs a reference point.

If you say, "Tokusatsu", they will stare at you with a blank expression. Remember, people this is only a Press Release, no need to make a mountain out of a molehill. You people sometimes get so hung up on semantics, that you miss the forest for the trees.

I understand that. But don't be surprised if you see at least one person do some lame MMPR mock impression or something.

This event should be celebrated, not nitpicked apart (for one mention of "Power Rangers" in a press release). BTW, these shows are made for kids. ;)

Not this again.

When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
Yeah, I don't think many Toku fans are gonna find this worth spending $10 bucks on and I don't even see this as being of any remote interest to the public in general

This is stuff best saved for a Con

When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
This event should be celebrated, not nitpicked apart (for one mention of "Power Rangers" in a press release). BTW, these shows are made for kids. ;)

Good luck with that in a place like this :laugh:

Everywhere You Go
T_T

Why do we never get cool stuff where I live?
Because the UK sucks. That's a real fact. I share your pain, because I live in the UK too. There's nothing good here that will benefit us anime and tokusatsu fans. No anime on TV, other than backdated Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh seasons and of course, no tokusatsu. I think even Power Rangers stopped here (**** you Disney XD!). So yeah, it sucks to live in the UK for things like these. London MCM Expo is the only good thing that happens in the country.

And it's cool to see that Patrick Macias is going to be there! I see his name in the Otaku USA magazine, and I guess he wrote some of those tokusatsu articles I've read in several volumes of the magazine. I wish I could meet him, so then we could talk about tokusatsu!:laugh:

Twitter - @MisturYellow
Too bad this stuff like this won't travel around the states... :disappoin

"Shocker Gundan, Banzai!"
Lots of negativity here... What's up with you people? Funny reactions from people love this stuff...

ATTENTION THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW ME: I've been watching Tokusatsu before y'all were born. It's a known fact that these shows are made for children. But, because of the high-quality of the production and writing, Japanese kids shows have always been light-years ahead of what has been produced in other countries, which is why they KICK ASS. That's why I love this stuff—always have, because I grew up with it. But, that still doesn't take away the fact that they are made for Japanese kids. "Made For Kids" doesn't mean "lame". That's not denigrating the shows, it's just a fact. Period.

Now, BLACK FANG: You obviously don't know anything about San Francisco. People are very hip to Japanese pop culture, here. We've had Japanese Superheroes on TV here for decades. In the 1970s, we were watching GORANGER and KIKAIDA on television with English subtitles (as well as anime series like BRAVE RAIDEEN and CAPTAIN HARLOCK), while we also got the English dubbed versions of SPECTREMAN, ULTRAMAN, JOHNNY SOKKO and THE SPACE GIANTS as well.

"But don't be surprised if you see at least one person do some lame MMPR mock impression or something."

What does that mean? If someone disrupts the show, I'll show them the door (I've worked plenty of nightclub security gigs in my time). If they want to be a jerk about it, they can talk to me outside the theater... LOL!

VITOR... I'm not a hater. I'm a historian. Apparently, you don't know about all the work I've done (for more than 30 years to promote tokusatsu in the US, and all the DVDs I've worked on for US release: KIKAIDA, KAMEN RIDER V3, KIKAIDA 01, INAZUMAN, IRON KING and SUPER ROBOT: RED BARON, etc.). I've been "in here" posting longer than you have, and have been showing this stuff and talking about it at art galleries, film festivals, and conventions for more than twenty years. I've been hosting "Japanese Superheroes: NOW!" at WonderCon every year since 1994.

I also lived in Tokyo in the late 1980s and met a lot of the people who created these shows, including Shotaro Ishimori, who gave us Kamen Rider (among others), and I return there as often as I can. Over the years, I've been on the sets for many series and movies, and again, people in San Francisco are a lot hipper than in Podunk went it comes to Japanese pop culture, anime, tokusatsu, etc. We've done a lot of these types of shows in the past, including a big Godzilla film festival for the 50th Anniversary in 2004. The first Superhero Show Patrick Macias and I did was WAY back in 1994, called THE POWER RANGERS DE-CONSTRUCTED: THE HISTORY OF THE JAPANESE SUPERHERO, a sold out event at the Artists Television Access, to educate people about the origin of these shows and why the Japanese versions are far superior.

As for this upcoming event, the fact of the matter is that VIZ Cinema invited Patrick Macias to put on these TOKYOSCOPE shows, and they is supported by VIZ Meida and the local Japanese community (there's a big ex-pat Japanese population in the San Francisco Bay Area), and there are a lot of tokusatsu fans here, too.

So, don't bust the chops of people who actually get off their asses and do something to promote this stuff outside of the internet. I just don't get the vitriol... What have you done lately?

Last edited:
Because the UK sucks. That's a real fact. I share your pain, because I live in the UK too. There's nothing good here that will benefit us anime and tokusatsu fans. No anime on TV, other than backdated Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh seasons and of course, no tokusatsu. I think even Power Rangers stopped here (**** you Disney XD!). So yeah, it sucks to live in the UK for things like these. London MCM Expo is the only good thing that happens in the country.
Which part of the UK are you? Yeah, it's really sucky.
Yeah, it's okay talking abou the London MCM Expo, but that's the only area of the UK with any focus. Not enough money goes to any of the Northern areas of the UK and we'r elosing all out industries and businesses because the government aren't willing to share around the money or help promote other areas of the country. ><