The Guys Behind Cobra Kai Want To Make A Duke Nukem Movie

Staff member
Every now and then you run across a Hollywood news item so strange, all you can think is, “Well, good luck with that, you’re gonna need it.” This one definitely falls under that category.
Josh Heald, Jon Hurwitz, and Hayden Schlossberg, creators of the hit series Cobra Kai, are interested in making a movie. No, not a Cobra Kai movie (it already has a movie, it’s called The Karate Kid). They just licensed the rights to Duke Nukem, the beefy hyper-masculine star of a series of PC FPS games in the 90s.
Duke could not be more out of place for the 2020s. The whole point of him was to offend the easily offended. He’s unapologetically crass and violent and you better believe he thinks of women as objects. He also steals all his lines from movies (according to this, Bruce Campbell considered suing, but...

Continue reading...

Is this going to be in two decades of Development Hell like Duke Nukem forever? I was skeptic when Cobra Kai was announced years ago and I end up becoming a Karate Kid fan so these guys must be up for something good.

Who do you think would make an excellent Duke Nukem? John Cena! He have the physique and demeanor to pull it off. I have some faith in this one because Cobra Kai should never have worked and yet did. Depending on how they approach it, this could be amusing. However, I'm not going to hold my breath.

The ComicGaters and Friday Night Whites of YouTube will love this movie.Especially the fans of the comic Jawbreakers. Finally a movie with a straight white male. I love pissing of those bigots so I hope they cast John Boyega as Nukem and his love interest is Brie Larson.

I enjoy Duke Nukem, but this would not be appropriate today. Duke has to be toned down a lot or he'll become the punchline. Who in their right mind wants a Duke Nukem movie? In at least a decade, he hasn't been relevant. This franchise, I thought, had successfully buried itself a decade ago. Isn't it around 40 years old and on the verge of being discarded?

I can't wait for this to be released on BluRay after 15 years. Why would this be a good idea if no one cares about Duke Nukem? He's a footnote in the world of first-person shooters.

It would be a lot of fun to make a Duke Nukem movie that defies political correctness and offends everyone. Duke Nukem was out when I was in college, and while I like it, it fit into the greater milieu of bombastic 1990s action films that it was ridiculing.

Please do not Ban Me
The Cobra Kai theme is able to make Karate Kid relevant again. So this could be good, some people here are too negative.