[J-TALK] The General Japan Thread of Generalness

KR Hyper Kabuto

Like a passing wind...
^ I'd love to know as well.

Gotta ask you one thing Iga, how many perverted-looking anime figures did you see(not a stupid question)?

Igadevil

Mr. Kamen Rider
ok, Igadevil,
How long did it take u to Fully understand Japanese?

Oh, I don't think I fully understand it, even now. I only seriously started learning it a few years ago (before that it was just bits and pieces) and all through college (I has a degree!) and then again on an off now (I consider "studying" to be translating Kamen Rider titles. :laugh: )

I would say that after five straight years and a good deal of time spent in Japan (a must to become proficient in any language- living in that country) I am at the level where I can get by without any big problems and understand Toku shows fairly easily, except Ultraseven Evolution. I'll never figure out what those writers were on. But I still wouldn't call myself 100% fluent. Maybe in a couple more years.

KR Hyper Kabuto said:
Gotta ask you one thing Iga, how many perverted-looking anime figures did you see(not a stupid question)?

Enough to become fairly desensitized. :laugh:

Inui Takumi

The Ends JustiΦ's the Means
just thought of this question while studying for my History of the American City class. Whats the preferred mode of transportation in Japan? From what Ive seen, people either take mass transit or walk. I dont usually see many cars or rush hour traffic there, at least not nearly as much as there is here. What do you take? And whats the price of gas there? We just hit a shortage in my state so gas was scarce for a few weeks and went up to $4 at one point. Just wonderin what the situation is there.

Kivat

Some kind of Beast mode
Dear Iga,

I've been thinking alot lately about what i want to do later in life. And I've

been wondering about going to study abroad in Japan.(When i go to college)

So are there alot of people that go there from the US? and Do you know any

good colleges over there?

and where are the best places to stay for vacation?

Igadevil

Mr. Kamen Rider
Those are like... biiiiiiiiiiig questions that I could go on about for ages. But the short answers are

1) A lot of people do come over from the US- when I studied in Kobe the group was mostly Americans.

2) There's a lot of good schools, you basically need to decide on where you'd want to live first. I chose Kansai; I know a lot of people who went to Hokkaido or around Tokyo.

3) I think Osaka/Kobe is the best place to stay because that's two big cities close to each other, plus Nara, Kyoto & Nagoya aren't too far away. Tokyo's a long trip, but you can get there in a day and back if you really rush things. It's not exactly in the middle, but it's a great location to stay for trips, at least if you're mostly limiting yourself to Honshuu.

I've heard that people from Osaka have a stereotype of being loud and noise. Is that true? Anybody can be loud and it's a stereotype but are they like a bit noiser?

Igadevil

Mr. Kamen Rider
I think like, Kansai in general has that stereotype, Osaka in particular. I could see some basis for it in reality, but I don't think it's like 1000% true all the time, etc.

Stereotypes that are true though: In Kanto, they stand on the wrong side of the escalator and put too much salt in the miso soup. :laugh:

Okay that's only from a Kansai point of view.

I think like, Kansai in general has that stereotype, Osaka in particular. I could see some basis for it in reality, but I don't think it's like 1000% true all the time, etc.

Stereotypes that are true though: In Kanto, they stand on the wrong side of the escalator and put too much salt in the miso soup. :laugh:

Okay that's only from a Kansai point of view.
I'm sorry but I don't know the difference between Kansai, Osaka and Kanto in terms of which is a city and which is a perfecture. :sweat: I'll look it up.

Too much salt? :laugh:

There's a wrong side to an elevator?

EDIT: Escalator...nvm...
Are you from Kanto? Generally people stand on the right side in the U.S. In Japan it's probably on the left.

Aoiblue

Raxbait: Hip
Totally forgot this was here XD
so yea, hey Its been a while so I dont remember but, What are the names of some cool Japanese shoes brands?

drag-5

Is japan a relatively expensive place to stay in, whether for vacation or to live in?

no, it's pretty cheap actually.
by comparison to capital cities in most countries..

Since I live in the uk, I compared Tokyo to London and it was so cheap.

although with world finances changing.... the yen might be far more expensive to buy now. i went a year ago.

Now on Kickstarter

Latest News

Who's on Discord?