Back in Black
I'm almost certain he means this one: [ame="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1098327/"]Dragonball: Evolution (2009) - IMDb@@AMEPARAM@@http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTYzNDM0ODQxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTMyMzMzMg@@._V1._SX94_SY140_.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@BMTYzNDM0ODQxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTMyMzMzMg@@@@AMEPARAM@@SX94@@AMEPARAM@@SY140[/ame]

and not this one: [ame="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251075/"]Evolution (2001) - IMDb@@AMEPARAM@@http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTU3NzcyNjI1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTc0ODMyMQ@@._V1._SX95_SY140_.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@BMTU3NzcyNjI1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTc0ODMyMQ@@@@AMEPARAM@@SX95@@AMEPARAM@@SY140[/ame]

All these years, I thought that the movie at least got the title right, but they called it "Dragonball" and not "Dragon Ball" so that was a big wtf moment there.

Edit: Weird thumbnails, go away. I just want links! :shakefist

What's wrong with Evolution?

DB Evolution basically took a piss on an already questionable storyline in the series. They should have started with the first arcs of Dragon Ball and seriously, none of the casting is even sound and their looks....fail.

Also , the storyline is pretty generic crap anyways and the execution was poor. The Last Airbender and Fist of the North Star had more in common with its source material than Evolution in any way or form.

The Extraordinary Fan(boy)
Interesting, i have never seen the american version of Godzilla 1985 so i am unaware of some of those complaint.

Honestly, one of the aspects i liked the most about that movie was how they handled the Cold War subplot, i thought it was quite interesting, especially when you consider that this movie was made when the cold war was still going on.

I am actually surprised no one talks about that, it was one of my favorite parts of the movie.

Super Moderator
Interesting, i have never seen the american version of Godzilla 1985 so i am unaware of some of those complaint.

Honestly, one of the aspects i liked the most about that movie was how they handled the Cold War subplot, i thought it was quite interesting, especially when you consider that this movie was made when the cold war was still going on.

I am actually surprised no one talks about that, it was one of my favorite parts of the movie.

This is probably because the dub is what most people have seen so they don't have a real sense of what that film was about which was pretty much what happened with the original 1954 film. Once I saw the Japanese version I could never go back to the dubbed hackjob.

No Fear, No Pain.
DB Evolution basically took a piss on an already questionable storyline in the series. They should have started with the first arcs of Dragon Ball and seriously, none of the casting is even sound and their looks....fail.

Also , the storyline is pretty generic crap anyways and the execution was poor. The Last Airbender and Fist of the North Star had more in common with its source material than Evolution in any way or form.

Yeah shin was right. I was thinking about the good evolution, as opposed to the...ummm...well ya know.

DAIMON PAWNCH
so I'm getting the dvds now, and I have a question

I just purchased the millennium set, and I will be getting the Godzilla Collection thing on amazon... and I want to know wh at movies to get

I'd rather get the Godzilla movies where he is onlyseen as a destroyer... not one where he seems to be leading his band of Merry Mutants

also none of

GODZILLA-DANCE.gif

or

3934480_o.gif

One man can only handle so much cheese

would vs Megalon and vs Biollante be good ones?

also, are those double feature dvds the only way to obtain some of these movies? cause you know... Godzilla Syndrome Dubs aren't my favorite

I agree with your assessment, Dai, save for I liked the concepts in the 90's stories save for Destoroyah, which I liked the best out of them all. The dubs kinda sucked though.

Ugh. I fucking despise Destroyer. Easily my least-favorite Godzilla film.

Forever.

I'd rather get the Godzilla movies where he is onlyseen as a destroyer... not one where he seems to be leading his band of Merry Mutants

BORING. :p

The best aspect of the Godzilla series is the super-crazy-wide variety of portrayals of the character. My three favorite films - vsGigan, Ghidrah, and the original - are a perfect cross-section of that, IMO. :lol:

My ideal Godzilla portrayal is him being a vengeful destroyer whose dragged kicking and screaming into being a compassionate fellow. It's kind of hard to make him the main character for long while maintaining him as a chaotic neutral and not as an explicitly good here. Edit: Damn, forgot to finish this sentence.

I know the Heisei era has its flaws, but I can't help but love the continuity, the colorful shiny beams (I love Mothra for her colorful and shininess). Not to mention I was born in 1989, so I have a bit of a nineties bias.

I love Biollante being the second woman monster after Mothra. When I construct my dream Godzilla team, she's present as the Big Girl and sole representative of the Heisei era. Battra intrigues me with developing the backstory of Mothra and I have a bit of a guilty pleasure for Palette Swaps. Godzilla Junior is cuteness, and I want him to be Minya's affectionate big brother.

I do love the monsters of the Showa era, though I'm caught between them coming back and introducing new members of Godzilla's Kaiju family.

And this might be a silly preference, but I think Destroyah sounds cooler than Destroyer.

Last edited:
Super Moderator
My impression of the Heisei Godzilla series is that it's not so much he's a bad guy or a good guy as he is almost like a force of nature. Which to me is a bit more congruous with the original movie. Even though technically he's a force man has brought upon himself.

An earthquake or a hurricane doesn't happen out of malice. It just is what it is and if you're in the way, too bad. But at the same time though with Godzilla there's something in the beast that can be reached and he is at least capable of realizing that Earth is his home to. So it's not quite the Showa thing where he's just our cool-ass monster pal, but yet there's some room there for you to be able to root for Godzilla against the enemy monster.

I enjoy that the Heisei series has a linked continuity, (bizzare time-travel aspects aside.) Since any Godzilla movie is going to have some kind of human story that is tied into his rampages I think have a few reoccurring cast members to be invested in makes that a bit more interesting. That way you aren't just kind of looking at your watch while you're waiting for the monsters to show up.

I enjoy that the Heisei series has a linked continuity, (bizzare time-travel aspects aside.) Since any Godzilla movie is going to have some kind of human story that is tied into his rampages I think have a few reoccurring cast members to be invested in makes that a bit more interesting. That way you aren't just kind of looking at your watch while you're waiting for the monsters to show up.

Yeah, I enjoyed the continuity and recurring characters, though I only recall Miki Saegusa and that general whose actor popped up in the Kiryu saga as appearing often. There was also that handsome gray-haired guy with glasses, but I can't remember his name.

It'd be nice if Godzilla is ever successfully rebooted to have a bigger recurring human cast.