No Fear, No Pain.
Oh this brings memories of my (still going) youth when i was a little kid who was also the biggest Godzilla geek you had ever met.....

Well, since this thread is here i might as well ask, what is the general concensus on Godzilla 1985/The Return of godzilla?

I ask because it´s one of my favorite Godzilla movies and i have never heard people talking too highly about the film, so i am curious.

I rather enjoyed it. It was a direct sequal to the U.S. version and had a nice feel to it. Of course it has been some fifteen odd years since I last saw it :laugh:.

My favorite monster is probably...Jet Jaguar, or Rodan. Oh and I really like M.O.G.U.E.R.A. mainly because, well, he's a mecha. In that case Mechagodzilla is on the list as well. Do love my giant, unorthadox, monster fighting machines.

Altair
Godzilla vs Biollante, vs Hedorah, Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, and Final Wars are by far my favorite.

No Fear, No Pain.
Hedorah was pretty badass. Definatly worth some attention. Course I'm a schmuck for biological abnormalities.

Edit: Huh...turns out I have seen Godzilla vs. Destroyah. Cool.

I am the law
I love all of the Millennium series Godzilla movies. I haven't seen the early Heisei series since I was a wee tyke and the most I know about the Shōwa era is what they've had on MST3K.

I also LOVE me some Gamera as well...especially the Heisei era of those films.

Oh this brings memories of my (still going) youth when i was a little kid who was also the biggest Godzilla geek you had ever met.....

Well, since this thread is here i might as well ask, what is the general concensus on Godzilla 1985/The Return of godzilla?

I watched the majority of the Showa lineup [Save for KOTM, Gojira, Raids Again and King Kong] alongside Fox Kids, Nick and the old Disney Channel when I was a little kid. When I finally got to see the Heisei, the quality of the video was like watching the older Power Rangers , video wise. That's why I knew it was Japanese and propelled me to tokusatsu.

I HATED 1985 as its the worst pile of garbage I have seen since Airbender and Evolution. Never mind Fatburr or any American cast members not interacting with the characters or pretending to with doubles, it was like I was watching an episode of Power Rangers Samurai or like watching two entirely different films within one.

Almost wish Steve Martin had a heart attack in the film to provide morbid entertainment on the American side as he and the other useless lazy men felt really unneeded. If they wanted to make a film, they should have just spliced American actors into the Japanese destruction footage and made their own movie. Their attempt to make a sequel of the 1956 mashup was a failure in my eyes because it ignored all of the reasons why the first was a hit.... not to mention Dr. Pepper.

On the other hand, I like The Return of Godzilla. While not impressive in of itself, the reboot without the garbage fared far better and I can watch that over and over again.

KOTM and Gojira are both enjoyable to me because the former had expert shooting and editing skills in it as a scifi pulp film while the latter is a horror monster film that is reminiscent of King Kong or the other older monster eiga.

If there's era I do prefer it is the Showa because although the Heisei had superior stories, the former had imagination and the monsters didn't shoot beams at each other for the whole length of the film like a giant monster version of Star Wars.

Godzilla better move and fight his opponent in the reboot because if its just beam wars, I am walking out and banging my head onto a desk, because I could care less if Godzilla looks like an iguana if Godzilla can actually fight.

Skreeong!
I love Godzilla, I love everything about him, He is my most favorite hero I don't even assign him a number, he's above number one for me. I can go on for hours talking about him much to the distaste of my family.

I've seen every movie about a billion times with my favorites rotating every two months or so(currently its Godzilla vs Biollante). I really have a love/hate relationship with Final Wars.

I really like Godzilla 1985, mostly for following up on Mr.Martin and that awesome narration at the end.

My favorite monsters are:
Angilas
King Ghidorah
Mothra
MechaGodzilla '74
Gigan
Hedorah
Megaguirus
SpaceGodzilla
Biollante

The Showa era of Toho is pure gold in my book. With a handful of exceptions, everything from 1954-1975 is exceedingly entertaining. After Biollante, however, the quality of their tokusatsu movies took a huge nosedive in quality. Basically anything made in the 90s is a huge pile of garbage. The Millennium series is a visual improvement but the writing continued to be kind of stale.

Showa all the way for me.

The Showa era of Toho is pure gold in my book. With a handful of exceptions, everything from 1954-1975 is exceedingly entertaining. After Biollante, however, the quality of their tokusatsu movies took a huge nosedive in quality. Basically anything made in the 90s is a huge pile of garbage. The Millennium series is a visual improvement but the writing continued to be kind of stale.

Showa all the way for me.

I agree with your assessment, Dai, save for I liked the concepts in the 90's stories save for Destoroyah, which I liked the best out of them all. The dubs kinda sucked though.

The Millennium series was stale tho, because while I mildly liked 2000, GMK stood out the most aside from the Mekagojira duology from 2002-03, which was like an anime.

Final Wars was just crazy.

No Fear, No Pain.
I HATED 1985 as its the worst pile of garbage I have seen since Airbender and Evolution. Never mind Fatburr or any American cast members not interacting with the characters or pretending to with doubles, it was like I was watching an episode of Power Rangers Samurai or like watching two entirely different films within one.

What's wrong with Evolution?