DAIMON PAWNCH
We have stuff for Ultraman, Super Sentai, and Kamen Rider; which is suprising since I bet most of us here first Toku was Godzilla (not including Ranger/Sentai adaptations)... so we need at least one for the final of the Toku Big Four (five including Metal Heros)

So, General Godzilla thread

What are some of your favorite movies?

I myself have only seen a few

Godzilla vs Destroyah, Godzilla 2000, and Godzilla Final Wars

Super Moderator
Out of what I have seen I tend to favor the Heisei movies. I like of few of the classic ones to as goofy fun in a Saturday morning/MST3K kind of way.

Godzilla 2000 was alright, but I haven't really enjoyed much of the Millennium stuff except for Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo: S.O.S. ..and then Final Wars just for the total insanity of it.

I recently had the pleasure of seeing the restored version of the original Gojira with Japanese language track and minus Raymond Burr. I definitely prefer seeing it non-Americanized. It's a slower and more thoughtful film but I think with the Japanese version it's much easier to see why it spawned a international phenomenon.

Last edited:
I've been collecting all of Godzilla DVDs, which is fun! I'm up to Son of Godzilla and can't help but notice some subtle notes of continuity.

My favorite movies change depending upon the mood. My favorite monsters are Anguirus, Mothra, Biollante, Megaguirus, among others.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
I have seen every movie of the franchise and enjoy 27/29 of them.:coolshades:

Around this time last year I decided to watch the Millennium era movies and really liked them. The only thing was, as they all act as alternative sequels to the original film, which I hadn't seen, I felt I was missing some understanding of them. So I decided to watch the original, and before I knew it, I'd decided to work my way through the whole series. I've also seen 'The Return of Godzilla', the first film in the Heisei era, but I decided I should really watch the films in chronological order to get the best understanding of how the series changed as it went along. I also decided I'd watch all the other Toho films that would get somehow "absorbed" into the Godzilla continuity. Not just the obvious ones like 'Rodan' or 'Mothra', but the less well-known ones like 'Varan The Unbelievable' and 'Atragon' too. I think that way you see how Toho's way of making the films changed, and get more of a feeling as to how popular these films were back then. You also get to see how the ideas were changed as they were pulled from their original films into the world of the King of Monsters, which I find just as interesting as seeing how Godzilla himself changes over the years.

So far I've only got up to 1965, but that's already 14 films! I'm not even halfway through though; by my reckoning I've got about 22 films still to go. I'm not in any hurry to get through them though. I watch a lot of Sentai and Kamen Rider, and I find that when I try and speed through episodes they all blur together and my memory starts to skip over a lot of the smaller details. I like keeping the Godzilla films as something a little different; I'll throw one on every couple of weeks or so and it makes a refreshing change from the more modern toku shows. It may be early 2014 before I finally reach the finish-line with 'Godzilla vs. Destoroyah', but the relaxed pace keeps them special. After that, who knows? I'll probably have to dive into the Gamera series and the DaiMajin trilogy just to keep getting my regular daikaiju fix :sweat:

No Fear, No Pain.
Godzilla was one of my first Toku experiences, and one of my all time favorites. There is just something about a gigantic, radioactive dinosaur beating down all manner of other gigantic, radioactive monster when he isn't trying to force a country to find alternative, clean running fuel sources that just turns me on the right way.

That being said I have seen alot of films...but I still have alot more to go. Two of my favorites are movies which I can't remember the names of. One involved a giant, slime monster, and the other involved a mutating monster that had three or four forms during the movie before the big showdown at the end of the film. Any ideas what films these were?

DAIMON PAWNCH
just realized the release of the Godzilla american reboot movie falls on the year of the franchise's 60th anniversary

The Extraordinary Fan(boy)
Oh this brings memories of my (still going) youth when i was a little kid who was also the biggest Godzilla geek you had ever met.....

Well, since this thread is here i might as well ask, what is the general concensus on Godzilla 1985/The Return of godzilla?

I ask because it´s one of my favorite Godzilla movies and i have never heard people talking too highly about the film, so i am curious.

School Days
I love the Godzilla movies. Some of my favorites are from the Showa series like the original Gojira, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Godzilla vs Hedorah and the Mechagodzilla duology. :thumbs:

Anyone got a favorite monster from the series? Biollante and King Ghidorah are my favs