SLICE
They do have some of the worst battles generally, just due to the beam spams if nothing else.

Super Moderator
Lord, there is entirely too much Heisei love in this thread. :laugh:

Maybe they're not as bad as you thought. :)

Besides I'm sure there will be much more Showa talk. Especially when ryuuseipro finds this thread.

I love the Heisei timeline, with the undisputed best being "vs. Destroyah".

I like that, despite not being a good guy, the later movies still managed to give Godzilla noble reasons to be the "hero" of the story, Baby/Junior.

I liked the Baby/Junior/ designs better than Minya's. I wish they'd do a series that followed up on Destroyah featuring the grown up Junior. I wonder if he would still retain memories of his time with Miki.

I love that very last shot of him at the end of the movie.

I liked the Baby/Junior/ designs better than Minya's. I wish they'd do a series that followed up on Destroyah featuring the grown up Junior. I wonder if he would still retain memories of his time with Miki.

If I recall correctly, a woman scientist called Azusa Gojo raised Junior in MG II. Afterwards, the character tearfully parts with him and disappears, only for Miki to take over. I guess it would make the tearful farewell null and void if Gojo meets up with Junior the next movie.

Since we brought up the Showa era, I'll posit that Minya wasn't truly hated until Godzilla' Revenge, which was not a very good movie. Son of Godzilla, where Minya appeared, is actually pretty decent, though Godzilla is weirdly sleepy throughout the film.

The Extraordinary Fan(boy)
I agree, i have watched Son of Godzilla a bunch of times and i never get bored with it, maybe is a bit campy but it is quite fun and you never really get annoyed with Minya, the scenes with him and godzilla where he tries to use the Atomic breath are quite entertaining.

I have never seen Godzilla´s Revenge but just going by what i have seen of him it´s really hard to hate him.

Maybe they're not as bad as you thought. :)

You're talking like I haven't seen any of them in awhile but my close friends and I are Godzilla fans before anything else in this genre* - to the point that we all carpool to Chicago every year for GFest! I'll have you know that not a day goes by without at least two of us talking about Godzilla on some level and, at least in my opinion, the 90s Godzilla films are some of the laziest, most shoddily-made pieces of cinema in the entire franchise. Yes, even moreso than films like Megalon or Revenge, because the 90s films are still awful even with increasingly large budgets as the series went on, a privilege not afforded to the aforementioned Showa films. Plus, those films actually manage to be fun despite their flaws (and I find Revenge to be a highly underrated character piece). A Heisei Godzilla movie is what I watch when I'm having trouble sleeping.

So, uh, there. God, I didn't mean to nerdrage like that. I'm sorry. I just don't know what came over me. :laugh:

* I'm such a huge fan and I discuss it SO MUCH elsewhere that discussing it here on HJU where most people have a less-than-encyclopedic familiarity with the franchise honestly kind of weirds me out. :laugh:

Super Moderator
If I recall correctly, a woman scientist called Azusa Gojo raised Junior in MG II. Afterwards, the character tearfully parts with him and disappears, only for Miki to take over. I guess it would make the tearful farewell null and void if Gojo meets up with Junior the next movie.

That's right. I forgot to mention her as well. Though if they were bringing her back when he's an adult Godzilla that'd be interesting. It'd be kind of like he was seeing his mother again.

They could also bring back Kazuma Aoki (Masahiro Takashima) who was both in MechaGodzilla II and Destroyah.

That's right. I forgot to mention her as well. Though if they were bringing her back when he's an adult Godzilla that'd be interesting. It'd be kind of like he was seeing his mother again.

They could also bring back Kazuma Aoki (Masahiro Takashima) who was both in MechaGodzilla II and Destroyah.

This reminds me of a vague scene from a fanfic I'm musing over. Azusa and Kazuma show up before Junior decides to walk in his daddy's destructive footsteps and they show the baby they had, which is technically Junior's little brother/sister. This persuades Junior to not be destroyer.

I'm such a huge fan and I discuss it SO MUCH elsewhere that discussing it here on HJU where most people have a less-than-encyclopedic familiarity with the franchise honestly kind of weirds me out. :laugh:

...this is a wild shot in the dark, but are you a user at Toho Kingdom Forums?

Super Moderator
This reminds me of a vague scene from a fanfic I'm musing over. Azusa and Kazuma show up before Junior decides to walk in his daddy's destructive footsteps and they show the baby they had, which is technically Junior's little brother/sister. This persuades Junior to not be destroyer.

Well hey, if after Destroyah Toho had wanted to move more in the direction of Godzilla being a good guy then the Heisei continuity would have some story foundation for why there would be a Godzilla that would even remotely give a damn about humans.