The General Godzilla Thread

Bigdog

I'd only ever heard bad things about King Kong Escapes, but I've just watched it and it's SUCH a fun movie! :anime: Certainly better than Son of Godzilla :redface2:

It's a shame Toho never got to make any other Kong movies. Even more of a shame that we'll never get more Mechani-Kong action :disappoin

They were going to in 1991 instead of King Ghidorah, but the rights fell through due to Universal.

The Analyzer

Heisei Godzilla can sure dance.

2iadfcy.gif

Yeah...I found this. Don't know where it's from.

Mr. Yellow

Twitter - @MisturYellow
What would you want to see more?

A big budget well put together remake of King Kong vs. Godzilla

Or, a big budget well made Godzilla vs. Gamera?

Bigdog

What would you want to see more?

A big budget well put together remake of King Kong vs. Godzilla

Or, a big budget well made Godzilla vs. Gamera?

Both. :buttrock:

Another King Kong vs Godzilla film would be a cool way to have both pitted against another, but they'll have to make KK at odds.

And Gamera wouldn't work as it has never been released theatrically in the States to begin with. I would need a few films of an American Gamera I totally expect Tim Burton or someone else making with Disney in response to Godzilla, and it would have to succeed in order to make it a possibility.

All things aside, I would like one to be done as well as a Godzilla vs. Ultraman and a Godzilla vs Gorgo,vs Superman, vs Power Rangers and vs. Batman.

I'm all about Godzilla vs. Gamera, that would rock. GvsKong rocked, but the idea of a new one doesn't excite me much. Maybe when Japan is making Godzilla flicks again we could see a Gamera crossover happen, stranger things have happened.

Long live the Big G!

Toku Prime

The current owners of Gamera asked about doing a crossover film some years back (I want to say in the 90s?) and were turned down. I doubt Universal will have changed their minds about licensing the rights to Toho again. They're probably still trying to convince Peter Jackson to turn "Son of Kong" into a three movie epic :laugh:

S

scikaiju

And Gamera wouldn't work as it has never been released theatrically in the States to begin with. I would need a few films of an American Gamera I totally expect Tim Burton or someone else making with Disney in response to Godzilla, and it would have to succeed in order to make it a possibility.

Actually the original Gamera movie did have a theatrical release, but it and the rest of the Showa era movies were shown a ton a times during the 80s during the weekend movie television shows. Not to mention the times it was on MST3k so I'm sure the general public has an idea who and what Gamera is.

Actually the original Gamera movie did have a theatrical release, but it and the rest of the Showa era movies were shown a ton a times during the 80s during the weekend movie television shows. Not to mention the times it was on MST3k so I'm sure the general public has an idea who and what Gamera is.
That reminds me of an episode of Mad Men where they went to the theater to see Gamera, and we saw a bit of it. I was pleased with that pretty random appearance in a mainstream show.

A little off topic, but I'd love to see a new Gamera film. "The Brave" missed the mark on what made the new trilogy so good, and what made the Showa movies so much fun. It was just... there. A lighter film can definitely work, but I just didn't have fun watching a baby Gamera in Iron Giant hijinks.

Amon

It would be nice to have a Gamera vs. Godzilla movie. The chances are unlikely since I remember hearing that Gamera is not very popular in Japan. The recent Gamera film "Gamera: The Brave" bombed at the box office. I don't see Toho and Kadokawa Pictures teaming up anytime soon.

I prefer the Showa era. I find most of the Heisei era to be overrated. The Millennium Era is a mixed bag, one side GMK and the other "Megaguirus."
Showa was actually very consistent, even the lesser films being enjoyable. The stock footage movies wrecked the record, sure, but then Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus reared their ugly heads and made for two of the best films.

Hell, I think the stock footage-filled movies are still surprisingly competent given what they were going up against at the time in terms of budgets and such. Godzilla vs. Gigan and Godzilla's Revenge are two of my favorites and I find their uses of stock to be quite clever.

I'll give you "Gigan," because that movie's great one way or another. Revenge I ADORED as a kid, so there is indeed an audience for it.

I think Revenge is Honda's most underrated film by far. It's a great little slice-of-life tale that just happens to have Godzilla stock footage in it as a side-plot.

Darksenshi

闇 戦士
The 90s Godzilla movies are among the laziest films ever produced in this genre.

I agree. They relied too much on the special effects aspect. The Showa era of Godzilla films are my favorite because they gave Godzilla more of a personality rather than a walking beam shooting brute with no fighting skills whatsoever. The Hesiei Godzilla wasnt likable at all. But ive been a Godzilla fan since I was like 5 years old so I love them all for what they are. Except for that thing from GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack. That was my least favorite Godzilla of all time!:shakefist

GMK_G2_zps5e035d3f.jpg

Last edited:

Now on Kickstarter

Latest News

Who's on Discord?

Latest posts