The Deer King Announced For US Theaters

Staff member
Masashi Ando, whose past credits include work on Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Your Name and others, has graduated into a directorial position with his first animated feature, The Deer King. The film has now been confirmed for a theatrical release in the States courtesy of GKIDS.
Van is a former soldier who’s been captured by the enemy and forced to work in a mine. Fortunately for him (depending on how you look at it), a disastrous plague has struck the area, and Van is one of the only survivors along with a young girl. This gives them the opportunity to escape, but their problems won’t be over until they can figure out where the plague came from — and who happens to be pursuing them ever since they left the mine.
If you want to know the full US voice cast, GKIDS has the list:
Ray Chase — Van
Griffin Puatu — Hohsalle
Erica Schroeder — Sae
Luciana VanDette — Yuna
Doug Stone — Tohlim
Neil Kaplan — Aquafa King
Frank Todaro — Kenoi
Makokan – Luis Bermudez
Ohfan – Keith Silverstein...

Continue reading...

As an animator, the filmmaker worked on films by Miyazaki, Kon, and Shinkai. That is a fantastic resume. He contributed to the films Spirited Away and Your Name! I'm willing to give this film a chance.

What does the Fox say?
Staff member
I'm glad you mentioned Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away so I could make the connection in my brain. I don't need to be convinced about The Deer King. Since it's the same filmmaker, I have already given it two thumbs up!

Studio Ghibli may have folded but I am happy that people who use to work there, still makes Anime movies.

I love the Ghibli art style because their characters don't look like Moe Blobs yet, They still kept their original and distinct art style that conveys more emotions than most generic Anime art style these days.