When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1270411036/the-death-of-superman-lives-what-happened

SupesFlybyHeader.jpg

If you're any sort of fan of movies with at the very least a passing interest in Kevin Smith's work, you'll have known that at one point during the late 90's he was commissioned to write a script for a Superman that never got off the ground.

The film was set to star Nick Cage of all people as Superman and was going to be directed by Tim Burton, who had already had an insane amount of success with his interpretation of Batman.

The canned idea was interesting enough to one Jon Schnepp (Metalocalypse) that he decided to make a documentary on what exactly happened to this potential cult classic

I remember regularly reading about this in Wizard Magazine and continually going, "WTF???" Now... I kinda wish it'd got made. Would've been deliciously in-fucking-sane. :D

Brave Sound~
I've read a bit about little things on the production but some of the small details he mentioned are new to me. I'd definitely be interested in this.

Read my smart post
Kevin Smith goes in-depth about the movie. Definitely worth a listen

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUwkqeI7XWk"]An Evening With Kevin Smith 23/40 - Superman Reborn - YouTube[/ame]

Super Moderator
Superman Lives can't die enough for me. This would have been beyond awful if it had made it through. I think part of my initially being favorable to SR is simply because problematic as it was, in comparison to this thing we dodged a bullet.

Of course now we're going to get faux-Nolan Superman but I can't imagine it being worse that the plans for this wrong-headed piece of ego driven crap.

On the positive though I will say it at least gets props for wanting to use Brainiac instead falling back on Luthor or Zod again. I've been wanting to see Brainiac on the big screen since Superman II.

Superman Lives can't die enough for me. This would have been beyond awful if it had made it through. I think part of my initially being favorable to SR is simply because problematic as it was, in comparison to this thing we dodged a bullet.

Of course now we're going to get faux-Nolan Superman but I can't imagine it being worse that the plans for this wrong-headed piece of ego driven crap.

On the positive though I will say it at least gets props for wanting to use Brainiac instead falling back on Luthor or Zod again. I've been wanting to see Brainiac on the big screen since Superman II.

No doubt in the hands of Jon Peters and Tim Burton it would have been a fiasco, but with Kevin Smith you have a talented writer with legit comic-geek cred. I have no doubt given the free will to write a legit Superman story he would pull through at minimum an enjoyable movie and who knows how good it might have been. The chief example of this is SR, which while not a great film is still an enjoyable experience with current SFX. Man of Steel while being produced by Chris Nolan is actually written by his brother Johnathan. Plus with the talents of Zach Snyder (300, Watchmen) directing there is no way it's anything but an amazing movie. Definitely agree with Brainiac as well but that would be incredibly difficult to portray in live-action. Man of Steel will start off a DC movie craze equal or greater to the Marvel movies because let's face it DC is just better.

Banned
Man of Steel will start off a DC movie craze equal or greater to the Marvel movies because let's face it DC is just better.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::anime::anime::anime::anime::anime::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lurker
No, he's right, DC are better. Marvel's movies are alright, but they're very light on substance for the most part. There's far more intellectual merit in stuff like the Dark Knight Trilogy and cartoons like the DCAU, Young Justice, and Green Lantern than there is in the typical Marvel product. Are you seriously going to tell me cartoons like Ultimate Spider-Man are worth ANYONE's time? Didnt think so.

The New 52 is also gaining steam and the comics have more or less been very well rounded and creative. Marvel comics pander to low-key demographic morons with their gimmickery and hackish storytelling

Last edited:
Ultimate Spider-Man *can* be worth the time when they aren't doing a bad job. Great animation and I dig "Team Spider-Man." :thumbs:

Just... the forced really bad humor is down right offensive.