One person I read was saying it was due to the constant death in it. However, though another person noted that FF 10 was exactly similar. So, anyhow, do you mind the darkness or is it a repellent?

Administrator
Staff member
Well the darkness of this sequel is compensated with cute and innocent looking chibi art style. We have beloved characters who died and a villain with no soul who is just fighting for his survival. Well at least we have a happy and saccharine ending.

I think what makes FF9 so dark, is the introduction of betrayal like never seen before and the genocide.

Have you guys heard of a game called Final Fantasy Type-O, it seems like it had a lot of bloodshed in it. This game was about sending children to war, so that is pretty bleak I would say. I think this game was only available in Japan, but you can now buy it in the states?
71ndqogKQnL._SX342_.jpg

It had a lot of murder but I don't see how that made Final Fantasy 9 more dark than the others. Maybe I'm just used to it that I can't tell when the devs are going overboard.

I would have to say Type-0. I have watched a walkthrough, and that opening cutscene is extremely brutal.

6 is also Dark because it has the most evil villain of all time. It has mass murder involved and the planet is in shambles after his defeat. The population dropped to a minimum.

It had a lot of murder but I don't see how that made Final Fantasy 9 more dark than the others. Maybe I'm just used to it that I can't tell when the devs are going overboard.
The main villain is not truly evil. He have no soul and all the bad things he did is for survival. He wanted to stay alive. The game also have genocide. Try to google what Genocide memes, for a game with cute chibi characters genocide is something you wouldn't expect. The disk 3 and 4 of this game have most of the dark moments.

I think it also depends with the person who is playing. Some may find FF9 darker than the rest of the franchise but I feel like it is relative.