PETA people make little sense and environmentalists worshipped an energy efficient building in New York that consumes more energy than older ones. Also Al Gore isn't that credible since he deals in oil.

Anyway.........

This is disgusting and an abomination. Of how they have the pink slime incidents and how much of the crops that are brought here are grown and picked in conditions that are unsanitary at best in other countries [unless its veggies and fruits with tougher skin and oranges, that be let to slide] let alone how cattle are raised in such despicable conditions.

Unless they find some way to actually deal with the realities of how and why our food supply is tainted, this is worthless. Why worry about how to make food like this when it has nothing to deal with our current issues on actually securing our food sources.

Harumph.
This...doesn't really have anything to do with those things. This appears to be more about making it so we don't have to clear away tons of forest just to make room for cattle to satisfy the demand for meat products. Though, it could have a potential effect on how cattle are raised since we won't need as many of them as a single donor carcass can produce a lot of the stuff. Theoretically, of course.

The thing holding this back right now is the cost. Sure, they may SAY it'll eventually cost less than the meat I can currently get at the store. As of right now...hell naw.

This...doesn't really have anything to do with those things. This appears to be more about making it so we don't have to clear away tons of forest just to make room for cattle to satisfy the demand for meat products. Though, it could have a potential effect on how cattle are raised since we won't need as many of them as a single donor carcass can produce a lot of the stuff. Theoretically, of course.

The thing holding this back right now is the cost. Sure, they may SAY it'll eventually cost less than the meat I can currently get at the store. As of right now...hell naw.

Clear forests? Your concern is forests?

Theoretically, we were supposed to be able clone perfectly created children from test tubes , but instead we get screwed up animals like Dolly that have tons more defects. Oh and stem cells were also supposed to actually help, but much of the studies were on aborting fetuses until they realized that adult stem cells can have the same effect.

I cannot see this working in any way intended. And would the support of environmentalists or PETA be remotely credible anyways? I don't see these groups protesting how their proponents either do the opposite of their philosophy and help harm the environment [if AGW is real, then why is nobody crying foul about Al Gore and his own oil dealings, let alone the many other stars that do so?] or animals [Don't see them protest the many unsanctioned cruelties of the halal process or the euthanasias given to many healthy abandoned animals of the American Humane Society] or are ineffective. And let's not get into environmentalism's completely extensive red history perpetrated by the likes of Lenin and other Marxists/Leninists.

Therefore, what I mention is relevant in this case because if groups with horrible track records are supporting such technologies that really does not help humanity's current issues with clean and untainted food sources, or are anti-human in nature, why would anyone trust these people with something as important?

Also, if they really want to help animals, maybe they should be less controversial and actually eliminate the radicalization and bent towards violence and illogic that is present in many of these groups.

To me, PETA ,Greenpeace and other likeminded groups seem to me like a bunch of self-righteous hypocrites that want to keep those in third world developing countries as poor and hungry and they want those in the first world. It is hardly to help people or to improve the world's condition. Or much less to actually stave off pollution as some suggest. Kinda like how they banned pesticides and crusade against its use in Africa, even though it kills off mosquitoes with West Nile.

We can say that eating meat is cruel, so be a vegetarian. You'll have to compensate in the diet for protein and the various other nutrients an entire body of an animal can provide. The processes that modern slaughterhouses have are horrifying and it could be argued that all meat processing is bad. However, it can also be argued that it is only bad when the very process extends the pain rather than ending it in a seamless and cruel-free one-go.

It also rails against the reality that most in the Western world are descended from people that stuck closely to a meat and vegetable diet that did not exist with any of the processed mumbo jumbo that is today's food. Let alone other indigenous peoples, that is. Telling people to either forgo meat altogether let alone animal products when human diets have been around those diets for thousands of years is nonsense.

Its rather ironic that PETA would support a policy that would even off a single cow for the future as its pure hypocrisy at the best. If eating animals is cruel, it is cruel NO MATTER the circumstance, period. Do not eat their flesh or support a process that will hardly work as well as previously planned.

Because hey, let's trust scientists in generating food from cells when they can hardly clone real animals without causing them pain. And who's to say it would really take the pain from the situation of the process? We all know that bringing filet mignon to the table takes far more than cloning them in a lab that can totally screw up and make an entire population sick. How do we not know that animals ,even partial ones, are not brought to life to be murdered like some sick science experiment from hell?

We should always remember about pink slime and how THAT was FDA approved, let alone any of the Monsanto nonsense. This is the only way I can realistically imagine this "meat" to actually work. And would you want to eat anything like this?

Shyni
It's not Fox-chan's concern, it's one of the things actually stated in the article.

Theoretically, we were supposed to be able clone perfectly created children from test tubes , but instead we get screwed up animals like Dolly that have tons more defects.
Dude, scientific developments don't happen overnight, and Dolly was a very early case from forever ago. Not exactly relevant to what can or can't be done nowadays. There's at least one faaaar better case to use if you want to argue that cloning techniques are flawed. Seriously, it was pretty easy to find, yet you argue with an example that's just supremely outdated like that? (And despite all that, there have been cloned animals that didn't die so quickly)

I cannot see this working in any way intended. And would the support of environmentalists or PETA be remotely credible anyways? I don't see these groups protesting how their proponents either do the opposite of their philosophy and help harm the environment [if AGW is real, then why is nobody crying foul about Al Gore and his own oil dealings, let alone the many other stars that do so?] or animals [Don't see them protest the many unsanctioned cruelties of the halal process or the euthanasias given to many healthy abandoned animals of the American Humane Society] or are ineffective. And let's not get into environmentalism's completely extensive red history perpetrated by the likes of Lenin and other Marxists/Leninists.
You're being preeeetty rambly here considering none of those groups were actually mentioned in the article. I'm pretty sure Vitor was joking when he said "PETA approved"

To me, PETA ,Greenpeace and other likeminded groups seem to me like a bunch of self-righteous hypocrites that want to keep those in third world developing countries as poor and hungry and they want those in the first world. It is hardly to help people or to improve the world's condition. Or much less to actually stave off pollution as some suggest. Kinda like how they banned pesticides and crusade against its use in Africa, even though it kills off mosquitoes with West Nile.
Again, not exactly relevant.

Because hey, let's trust scientists in generating food from cells when they can hardly clone real animals without causing them pain. And who's to say it would really take the pain from the situation of the process? We all know that bringing filet mignon to the table takes far more than cloning them in a lab that can totally screw up and make an entire population sick. How do we not know that animals ,even partial ones, are not brought to life to be murdered like some sick science experiment from hell?
Chunks of meat are hardly as complicated as real animals. And how would "brought to life" even be relevant here? They wouldn't feel pain without nerve cells and such. If test tube meat somehow has any need to be treated humanely, so would harvested cancer cells, because those are totally living beings like the actual organisms they came from, right?

Last edited:
Harumph.

No, it's RIGHT THERE in the article. Which now I'm almost certain you didn't actually read after going through all that guff.

PETA is not mentioned even once in the article either. Even if it were, I doubt they'd be in support of even a single animal being killed for meat.

Last edited:
Dude, scientific developments don't happen overnight, and Dolly was a very early case from forever ago. Not exactly relevant to what can or can't be done nowadays. There's at least one faaaar better case to use if you want to argue that cloning techniques are flawed. Seriously, it was pretty easy to find, yet you argue with an example that's just supremely outdated like that? (And despite all that, there have been cloned animals that didn't die so quickly)

True it was outdated, bit it illustrates via a common popular culture example of cloning.

You're being preeeetty rambly here considering none of those groups were actually mentioned in the article. I'm pretty sure Vitor was joking when he said "PETA approved"
Yeah I realize that now.....

Chunks of meat are hardly as complicated as real animals. And how would "brought to life" even be relevant here? They wouldn't feel pain without nerve cells and such. If test tube meat somehow has any need to be treated humanely, so would harvested cancer cells, because those are totally living beings like the actual organisms they came from, right?
Harvested cancer cells and meat chunk have one difference: flesh has nerves and nerve can feel pain. As of yet, meat cannot be generated from cloning because it would require creating an animal, or semi alive creature to feed on something to bring the meat its flavor. As in, people have to replicate the process without raising a cow directly and have meat that doesn't taste like **** or make people sick.

Test tube meat is only a symptom of a much larger problem with our society: the idea we can create food artificially in a society that is screwed health wise and has huger issues with getting organic and clean healthy food on the table. The idea that the crappiest of food is more widely available than real food is staggering from cost points and disgusting.

Harumph.
Harvested cancer cells and meat chunk have one difference: flesh has nerves and nerve can feel pain. As of yet, meat cannot be generated from cloning because it would require creating an animal, or semi alive creature to feed on something to bring the meat its flavor. As in, people have to replicate the process without raising a cow directly and have meat that doesn't taste like **** or make people sick.

Test tube meat is only a symptom of a much larger problem with our society: the idea we can create food artificially in a society that is screwed health wise and has huger issues with getting organic and clean healthy food on the table. The idea that the crappiest of food is more widely available than real food is staggering from cost points and disgusting.

It should be pointed out that they're not attempting to clone an entire cow, but instead they're taking the muscle cells from a single carcass and essentially knitting them together to form a slab of synthetic meat. The synthetic meat is not alive.

Real cows unfortunately still have to be a part of the process as it's THEIR cells being used, but hopefully significantly less of them will have to die to meet the demand.

This particular food is not something that is currently widely available. It still isn't cost effective, and as of yet nobody has reported on how it tastes. Still, I have a feeling it is cleaner and safer than meat from animals raised in factory farm conditions, which honestly IS something we have to worry more about.

A couple of scientists in the Netherlands can't really do jack about the inner workings of the meat industry, though.