Terrible Toku Talents; who's work do you absolutly hate?

Lurker
Do you hate it every time Inoue throws someone into a river? Do you think Aikawa likes to steal candy from children and kick puppies? Did Yonemura's Diend make absolutely no sense to you with his Face Heel Face turn? Well then, this it the thread for you my friend! Finally, you have a thread to vent all your frustrations, and explain why you wish Toei would just stop hiring these guys.

Heck, you don't even have to keep it just writers; tell us why you hate a particular producer, director, or even actor. All hatred is welcome here.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Sakamoto and his constant leg, boob shots and female fanservice. I'm absolutely sick of it. Sexism aside, it's self-indulgent and hijacking the work for his own amusement. For instance, I'm a big fan of post-war through '80s pulp horror. Imagine if I became a director and kept turning every movie I made into a Hammer Horror tribute, even when it was totally inappropriate to the piece or genre? No matter how talented I was and if I could shoot amazing battle scenes, people would rightly get fed up with it.

Inoue: Way too much soap-opera and angst. Even during his "good" days of Jetman et al, there was just too much of it. I think his recent writing of the spin-off Heisei Rider novels and including so much sex and random death is very telling. He had too much control of Kamen Rider for too long and I'm glad it is out of his hands now. I also hate the way he thinks that female characters exist to be love interests and women are completely irrational and will do anything in the name of "love"

Kobayashi: Also way too much drama and soap-opera stuff. She keeps re-using stock plots and characters and it feels very repetitive, yet people praise her for supposedly being so unique and creating these complex, layered characters when very often they are the same ones each time. And when she likes a character or ship, it's *really* obvious and overdone.

Nao Nagasawa: I don't dislike her. I just think it's ridiculous that Nanami (a poorly-written character who is no more special than HurricaneRed or Yellow) became one of the most legendary characters in the franchise on the strength of Nagasawa's looks; and that she keeps reappearing whenever Sakamoto wants a pair of legs in his latest project. It would be tiresome no matter what performer it was.

Nice post!!
The curious thing with tokusatsu is that most people who've been responsible for something truly awful were also, at some point, responsible for something really great. So there's not a lot of creators who work regularly in the field I can bring myself to hate. As much as fans villify guys like Inoue, I don't think tokusatsu really has a Howard Mackie or Chuck Austen yet.

But if I ever find out exactly who is responsible for the Fiveman Puppets becoming recurring characters, I will feel an overwhelming urge to engage in face-smashing physical violence. The entire stretch of episodes where the Puppets keep popping up is the only time I've ever found Sentai completely unwatchable.

Lurker
The curious thing with tokusatsu is that most people who've been responsible for something truly awful were also, at some point, responsible for something really great. So there's not a lot of creators who work regularly in the field I can bring myself to hate. As much as fans villify guys like Inoue, I don't think tokusatsu really has a Howard Mackie or Chuck Austen yet.

But if I ever find out exactly who is responsible for the Fiveman Puppets becoming recurring characters, I will feel an overwhelming urge to engage in face-smashing physical violence. The entire stretch of episodes where the Puppets keep popping up is the only time I've ever found Sentai completely unwatchable.

No one could even get their foot in the door in any kind of entertainment industry, unless they managed to at some point make something that a majority of people liked. Case in point, I really can't stand much of anything Inoue made in the past decade (I hate plots that require characters not to communicate basic information in order to function), but I love both of his greatest contributions to the genre, namely Jetman and Agito.

That said, I know I saw you say some things about Aikawa back in my Boukenger thread that weren't exactly the most positive which, in retrospect, kinda made me dial back my enjoyment of the series. So I know that there are things that annoy you enough maybe not to hate, but at least wish that Toei would stop hiring guys to do thing they can't really do, like Aikawa writing for an upbeat and positive superhero show.

Nice post!!
Yeah, I don't get why Toei keeps hiring Sho Aikawa. I mean, the guy is great at the writing part of writing, don't get my wrong. But Toei produces superhero shows, and Aikawa hates superheroes so much he bent over backwards to insist that fighting for justice has nothing to do with Kamen Rider. It's just weird, I wonder if he's friends with somebody or really good about hitting deadlines.

I really hated Kohei Murakami in Faiz because the Masato character was built up into nothing and ended up dying meaninglessly with no redemption whatsoever.:redface2:

However, by Ultraman Mebius, Cutey Honey the Live, and Garo Makai Senki, I've been hating him less. The shows he appeared after Faiz showed how much of a comedian he could be.

Yeah, I don't get why Toei keeps hiring Sho Aikawa. I mean, the guy is great at the writing part of writing, don't get my wrong.

He should go back to Tsuburaya and do Ultraman again.:laugh:

Nice post!!
... oh man. I didn't even know Aikawa had done Ultraman, let alone that one. That actually makes me want to see it. I can't really imagine what an Aikawa take on Ultraman would be like.

... oh man. I didn't even know Aikawa had done Ultraman, let alone that one. That actually makes me want to see it. I can't really imagine what an Aikawa take on Ultraman would be like.

Never seen "Towards the Future", huh Lynx?

The Aussie Ultra was pretty decent for what it was...not to mention how much stuff they needed to cram into the series.:sly:

Makes me wonder what if Steve Wang did accept Tsuburaya's offer to do Ultraman Ultimate Hero.

PS: Now if SyFy only kidnapped Keita Amemiya and "forced" him to do a SyFy Original Movie. Hey, it worked for Takashi Miike with HBO/Showtime.

Nice post!!
Never seen "Towards the Future", huh Lynx?

Nah. Given how hard it is to make time for the actually-made-in-Japan Ultras, watching the weird foreign outsourced one was never much of a priority. Knowing Aikawa was involved makes the whole thing a bit more interesting. I wonder if his experience with it was bad and that's why he's got an axe to grind with superheroes? This credit would be super-early in his career.

Lurker
Yeah, I don't get why Toei keeps hiring Sho Aikawa. I mean, the guy is great at the writing part of writing, don't get my wrong. But Toei produces superhero shows, and Aikawa hates superheroes so much he bent over backwards to insist that fighting for justice has nothing to do with Kamen Rider. It's just weird, I wonder if he's friends with somebody or really good about hitting deadlines.

You know, one of these days I'm going to have to watch those last two episodes of Wizard he wrote, just to see what he did to so clearly denounce Kamen Rider as heroes. Though I'd really like to see your full take on what ever it was.