Music "Take me to church" by Hozier

Have you heard this song? As it is fairly new, I would not have heard it, if my wife had not brought it to my attention. I liked it instantly, and watched it three more times. The song (from what I gather from the lyrics, and watching the video) is about society not accepting gay marriages. My interpretation is that we are beginning to accept gay couples, but we will not tolerate gay marriage, as it is reserved for straight people. The writer/singer sees it as still drawing lines, separating "us" from "them". What do you think of the song? If you haven't heard/watched it, please do so!

The link:

I heard this song on Saturday Night Live about two months ago. I didn't buy it til recently. I haven't really given the lyrics much thought yet. But, I love his voice. Its really beautiful. I've never seen the video. I'll definately have to give it a watch. Thanks for sharing it. I probably wouldn't have looked it up on my own, lol.

Last edited:
I absolutely love this song. It's on my every playlist these days. I heard this song a while ago but never really gave it much thought until Matthew from the voice of season 7 sang this song live. The way Matthew sang it was so captivating that I youtubed the original song and ever since then, I'm in love with this song. But I haven't really given much thought about what the song is really trying to tell us.

Thanks for the replies. My wife had no idea what it was about until I told her. The song is very catchy, but it's the meaning behind it that made it so likeable to me. The song has been out for about a year now, but it's new to me, so I listen to it every day. I watched an interview of the singer last night. He seemed fidgety and his regular voice sounds higher-pitched than the way he sings. Is he gay? Anyone know? Thanks.

I absolutely love this song. It's on my every playlist these days. I heard this song a while ago but never really gave it much thought until Matthew from the voice of season 7 sang this song live. The way Matthew sang it was so captivating that I youtubed the original song and ever since then, I'm in love with this song. But I haven't really given much thought about what the song is really trying to tell us.

Yes, this was the moment when I really fell in love with the song too! I love Matthew on The Voice this season and when he took to the stage to sing it not that long ago, I fell in love with him and the song too!

I'm loving his album. It's so refreshing. In a Week in particular is so astounding. The lyrics are haunting. Hoping this song brings him much success. Great soulful gospel rock.