Tabletop Tabletop Gaming

Who else out there owns dice with more than six sides?

I started out with Dungeons & Dragons, of course, 3.5 although my friend's son has the box set and friends who complained that it would be too complicated so it was just the two of us playing through all three adventures.

While I'm not much for modern, urban settings--I just can't help it that World of Darkness is my favorite system. It's just so intuitive. I like filling in bubbles on the character sheet.

I've also played some "wu xia" sort of settings/systems: Exhalted and Weapon of the Gods.

Who else out there owns dice with more than six sides?

I started out with Dungeons & Dragons, of course, 3.5 although my friend's son has the box set and friends who complained that it would be too complicated so it was just the two of us playing through all three adventures.

While I'm not much for modern, urban settings--I just can't help it that World of Darkness is my favorite system. It's just so intuitive. I like filling in bubbles on the character sheet.

I've also played some "wu xia" sort of settings/systems: Exhalted and Weapon of the Gods.
Dungeons and dragons was a cool game. I never owned the game, but I had a few friends that where addicted to that game. It was a great concept at the time. I wonder if they came out with a re-make.

C

CyberGal

I never owned the game either but I remember long nights in college where friends would get together to play the game. I often would sit in on it but for some reason I never could understand it myself. I think it's too "imaginative" for me or something. Now, my daughter has taught me to play Pokemon and that I enjoy. There are a few other card games that she'd like to teach me to play too but we just haven't gotten there yet.

I absolutely loved playing Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Second Edition during my late nineties junior high school days! I always gravitated towards playing a mage, which at low levels was a fairly masochist choice due to the absurdly low hit points and daily spell limits for that particular class in that specific edition--but it paid off if my mage somehow managed to survive those deadly, limited beginnings!

I was also really into TSR's numerous novels set in their various AD&D campaign settings, especially Margaret Weis' and Tracy Hickman's DragonLance novels and R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms novels starring Drizzt Do'Urden!

Unfortunately, I sort of fell out of it in later years--largely due to the lack of other people's interests at my new high school (I was lucky if I could get them to play Hero Quest)! I would love to get back into it, and try some of the new editions (and also experience the classic campaign settings like Planescape, Ravencroft, Dark Sun and SpellJammer that I never got around to earlier)! I suppose that now would be a great time to do so given that D&D has become much more popular (cool even) and its new Fifth Edition was just released! (Although, based upon what I've heard and read, Pathfinder might be closer to the gaming experience I truly seek.)

I never had a chance to play any of the other tabletop RPGs, but I would be quite interested in dipping my toes into the waters of Call of Cthulhu, Shadow Run, Cyberpunk, and Rifts!

C

CyberGal

It's actually kine of funny how you say that D&D is much more popular now. I was in our local drugstore the other day with my daughter. She's always after Pokemon or Yu Gi Oh cards, which they tend to carry (I guess those games are really popular, who knows) and right there next to them they had D&D cards. I can't get her into playing it yet but maybe in time... For now she's enjoying those other 2 games and even has me playing Pokemon occasionally but I'd still like to learn D&D.