Lurker
superman-citizenship-1303916053.jpg

The big topic in comics today occured in Action Comics issue 900, where Superman reveals his intention to relinquish his U.S Citizenship so he can concentrate on worldly affairs without being accused of being there on behalf of his nation's goverment

It's a brave choice, and a plot point that "Grounded" should have picked up on, hell I'd have placed "Grounded" AFTER this story so there would be a PROPER reason Supes had to go around America to reconnect with it's people

The story was written by David S. Goyer (Blade, the Nolan Batman flicks, and the new Superman movie),

This isn't a big deal. Despite being an American icon he was never defined by being American. Hell the whole "American way" bit was only tacked on during the whole "Seduction of the Innocent"/red scare toss up during the 50's. Superman is an American icon because he embodies the best aspects of what we all want to be, and if you get upset that he moves away from a political aliment in order to better help people than you fail at understanding his basic character. Personally I see this as a move of establishing Superman as something closer to the likes of the Red Cross or Doctors Without Borders, like everything else in fiction he is a reflection of our changing world.

Also honestly I think he already forfeit any claims to citizenship when he joined the military of an enemy state. Let's just be honest this story was unnecessary and more than likely will be forgotten. I mean people don't even remember when Superman was made a citizen, best I have heard is sometime during the Kennedy years.

Gotta say...an interesting move, albeit clearly motivated by modern events. I like the reasoning too. I'd like to compare and contrast it to Steve Rogers giving up the Captain America title, since I think it was for similar reasons, but I'm not up to par on Marvel side just yet, so yeah...

Part of me does wonder, though....isn't this just another 'Perfect' choice made by a character that's already seen as 'Perfect' and therefore just bland? I like it, but I'm a fan of Superman. I know there's more to him than what is sometimes shown. Doesn't this just add another notch in his Mary Sue belt? (using the definition very loosely and in the terms of the Sue always having the right answer for a situation)

Super Moderator
As someone who has loved the character of Superman for near their entire life my feeling has always been that Superman, like with Captain America don't endorse the actions of a particular administration or America at the expense of any other culture or way of life. It's more about the universal ideals and dream of what America is and can be. So in that respect and given that Superman was raised by the Kents I was never put off by the "and the american way" thing even though I truly do think of Superman as not being an exclusively american hero or icon.

If there is anything about this citizenship story that I find exhausting, tedious, or anger inducing it's not that I feel it is anti-american. It's more that it just strikes me as the kind of over thought, cynical, and pretentious bullshit that has made superhero stories so goddamn miserably joyless in the very medium where so many of these wonderful characters were born. But hey, thanks comics for reminding me why I haven't had a pull-list in going on 15 years. Guess there's no need to check-in after all.

Watch this make all the "news shows" on tv and radio. HAH.

Already saw it on the 11 o'clock news.

Isn't it illegal to not belong to a country or something? I mean you got to be from somewhere.

Anyway I never believed he was an American. I mean we've never seen his birth certificate! *political humor*

私の占いは当たる
Wasn't Superman born on another planet, anyway? Did he take the citizenship test?

I'm assuming Superman is referring to his honorary citizenship.

During the Silver Age, Superman (and Supergirl) were granted honorary citizenship by USA and other countries around the world.

Clark Kent remains a US citizen, though. I think the Kents somehow had a birth certificate forged for him.