I get that little things can cause friendships to end, it is just the whole they thought each other meant the other entrance. I can understand Hibiki not realizing the error because she seems rather thick, but Kanade on the other hand especially considering she knew what to do right away with the little girls.

But to fair I also read and watch a lot romance where things like that are the crux for conflict, and every time I just end up yelling "just talk to each other!" That said the scene didn't make me that angry like when it happens in a romance, which I think was due to Siren. Who I really hope keeps up her snarky commentary, it provides a nice contrast with Hummy are her airhead nature. I am guessing it may be on purpose but it does reminds me of the relationship between Serena/Usagi and Raye/Rei.

Nice post!!
I can understand Hibiki not realizing the error because she seems rather thick, but Kanade on the other hand especially considering she knew what to do right away with the little girls.

Are you familiar with shoujo as a genre at all? Because this is hardcore emotions-over-logic shoujo trope territory.

The idea of the sequence is that Kanade was so hurt by the intensity of Hibiki's rejection that she just assumed they were never very good friends to begin with.

I'm sure that rationally she figured out what happened, but... if someone will reject you over something so minor, did they ever really like you to begin with?

Hibiki is a less intellectual character so her reaction was, I'm sure, entirely impulsive-- she probably never realized there was another entrance, or how ugly her behavior toward Kanade came off.

Basically, they both let their insecurities trump their good judgment.

I just watched the first episode, and it didn't really harmonize with me, so to speak. I'll give it a few more, just to be safe.

Also, I've heard Heartcatch is excellent, so should I give that a shot?

I can actually relate to their whole friendship falling apart scenario somewhat, so maybe episode 2 will change my mind.

Nice post!!
If you want to try out Heartcatch, I suggest watching the first two episodes together before deciding whether or not to continue.

I wouldn't call Heartcatch "excellent" but I enjoyed it, it has some memorable high points.

Having once been in a girl in middle school, I can safely say that this is a completely accurate depiction of the kind of **** that ends friendships between little girls at that age all the time.

I thought it was a nice touch, honestly.

Interesting. I think you said at some point that the character dynamics in Heartcatch were somewhat accurate to how girls are socialized. I'm curious about your opinion on such dynamics in previous series.

And is it just me, or is Siren berating the duo for making up easily hiding some bitterness? Did she have a falling out with someone (Probably caused her defection) and is jealous to see a friendship be patched up?

Edit: I also recommend Heartcatch. All the fanfare is probably because Tsubomi falls out of the usual main character archetype for such shows. Plus, we're both introverts and redheads, so cue projection!

Nice post!!
Interesting. I think you said at some point that the character dynamics in Heartcatch were somewhat accurate to how girls are socialized. I'm curious about your opinion on such dynamics in previous series.

It varies from season to season with PreCure, based on how much they want to emphasize the shoujo and how much they want to emphasize the superhero stuff.

Heartcatch is pretty dead-on when it comes to things like, say, Tsubomi's lack of self-confidence, Erika's lack of self-awareness, or Itsuki's self-image problems. When Heartcatch does superhero stuff I think it honestly becomes less good.

I didn't find the characters in Fresh or the PreCure 5 seasons all that convincing, but those seasons are way more superhero than shoujo. Splash Star I couldn't get into at all so I can't really say much about it.

The first season of PreCure is pitch-perfect when it comes to mixing the superhero and shoujo elements. The second season, Max Heart... I think that season has problems that make it hard for me to judge.

And is it just me, or is Siren berating the duo for making up easily hiding some bitterness? Did she have a falling out with someone (Probably caused her defection) and is jealous to see a friendship be patched up?

I really, really get the feeling that Siren and Hummy were once friends who had a falling-out, mostly on Siren's side. I suspect it was driven by jealousy. There has to be some reason why Aphrodite chose Hummy to sing the score and not Siren, who had clearly done it in the past, right? I wonder if Siren became so bitter she simply can't sing a Song of Happiness anymore.

Are you familiar with shoujo as a genre at all? Because this is hardcore emotions-over-logic shoujo trope territory.
I get that, I understand it is all part of the "game". I still find it frustrating to see time and time again, especially when I don't want to see these characters fight where 5 minutes of talking it out could fix things. I knew as soon as Hibiki mentioned waiting by the entrance how it was going play out.

As for Siren, I think we are meant to feel some parallels between her and Hummy's relationship with that of the Precures. I get a feeling that this season in particular is going to have a focus on friendships and mending them. I can see a running story/character arc of Hummy and Siren trying to patch things up, since Hummy obviously still likes and cares for Siren.

Splash Star I couldn't get into at all so I can't really say much about it.

You couldn't get into it because the show didn't click with you or the inaccessibility of subs? If the latter, I found someone who subbed the entire season (Though I have yet to watch it yet, need to get through the last few episodes of the first season and Max Heart instead).

Interesting about the superhero and shoujo stuff. I wonder if that is related to my main irritant of the franchise - it being very episodic. Is it a shoujo thing or something else?

As for Max Hearts, I remember being "Can we concentrate on other characters beside Nagisa?" I love Nagisa, but I felt the other characters were a bit left out and, if the show's going to be episodic, flesh out all of the secondary characters. One could probably use a lot of filler doing that.

I really, really get the feeling that Siren and Hummy were once friends who had a falling-out, mostly on Siren's side. I suspect it was driven by jealousy. There has to be some reason why Aphrodite chose Hummy to sing the score and not Siren, who had clearly done it in the past, right? I wonder if Siren became so bitter she simply can't sing a Song of Happiness anymore.

I wonder if Hummy simply blocked out the falling out or Siren kept it to herself? Did Mephisto forcefully brainwash her or was she in the right mood that she would defect to the other side.

Also I think the blue-haired Cure had a cameo in the first episode.

Nice Toipic Aoi Kurenai! Beware the spoilers from episode 1 and 2:

Based in Hummy dialogues:

A) Only possible Henshin and Fullpower fight with the 2 hearts sincronized, if not possible, they use only 50% or less.

B) Each pair is transformed using fairy tones that represent musical notes: "Do-Re", "Mi-Fa", "Sol-La", but "Si" (in this case Masked) is only without pair, but if she is stronger than Melody and Rythm? with what she has synchrony?

C) As well Ellen (err Spielvan ?), is possibly Hummy can become human form, but I think she is much younger than Ellen/Siren to transform.

Myself Spoilers:

D)For Me the others Precure are friends of Hibiki's and Kanade (Yellow Hair Girl in Kanade's Group and Cyan-Blue Hair in Hbiki Group) and the other pair I still don't dare that they are.

E)Hummy in Human Form and "Lady" Ellen precures is possibly, but not for now.