Suffering a burnout from watching Kamen Rider

K

Kamen Rider IXA

What it sounds like you mean is they ruined it.
They really did. I hate what they did to Blade's ending just to shill a stupid Climax From-wannabe for Zi-O. Thankfully Zi-O undid everything Shark posted in the end, so it's all back to normal.

D

Dr Kain

Wait, so Zi-O retconned the other shows just to retcon the retcon at the end? Did DC Comics take over Toei at that time?

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
I'm assuming you don't plan to watch Blade, anyway?

I can't remember exactly what happens, but they run into either Blade or Joker, who've spent years desperately trying to stay away from one another & accidentally draw them together, where they are forced to fight, threatening a definitive end to the war & a world reset.

D

Dr Kain

Do you mean Zi-O? I will eventually since I will have to review it at some point, but that's hopefully going to be a ways away since I've still got 13 Sentai series to get through. Unless Shout! Factory ruins those plans with an official video release, which knowing my luck, they will do that first.

K

Kamen Rider IXA

Wait, so Zi-O retconned the other shows just to retcon the retcon at the end? Did DC Comics take over Toei at that time?
It was supposed to conclude the whole Decade storyline of different worlds by separating all shows for good (it did so in the end and then apperently undid it once again in the following Zi-O material).
Truly the Dark Knight that saved franchise.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
As I said, you should seek psychological help. Mental health is improtant and your issues is not something to be taken lightly.
You don't call medics for a robbery, you don't call cops for a forest fire, you don't call firefighters for heart attacks. Therapists will never solve my problems.

I started watching weeklies with OOO, so I'm another long-term viewer. I recall hearing somewhere that the average amount of time someone spend in a fandom (of any kind) is five years, so people such as you and I are definately in the 'diehard fans' category.

Toei themselves only expect their main audience (you know, those kids in Japan) to watch for a couple of years before moving onto something else. I remember when the first Super Hero Taisen movie came out, Fourze was the current Rider, and there were reports of kids coming out of the cinema wondering who Decade was, because he was before their time.

There's certainly times when I've lost interest in the current output. Sometimes I wonder whether those kids have the right idea. They get in and get out again while they're still finding enjoyment from it. It's not like these shows have some deeper layer to them that you'll only understand if you've seen a bunch of previous entries.

I don't think there's a solution to it that works for everyone. Personally, I often find that after a while some weird form of FOMO drives me to catch up.

I often find that keeping things varied is a good way to keep my hand in toku. Jumping between franchises and eras stops things becoming too much of a repetitive grind. Recently, I've been checking out Guyferd (from the 90s) and the new subs of Japanese Spiderman (from the 70s) and it's different enough to the currently releasing stuff that it feels pretty fresh again.

Skipping/dropping shows if they don't interest you is fine. Taking an extended break is fine. Ultimately, this is supposed to be entertainment, not homework.

R

raden238

I started watching weeklies with OOO, so I'm another long-term viewer. I recall hearing somewhere that the average amount of time someone spend in a fandom (of any kind) is five years, so people such as you and I are definately in the 'diehard fans' category.

Toei themselves only expect their main audience (you know, those kids in Japan) to watch for a couple of years before moving onto something else. I remember when the first Super Hero Taisen movie came out, Fourze was the current Rider, and there were reports of kids coming out of the cinema wondering who Decade was, because he was before their time.

There's certainly times when I've lost interest in the current output. Sometimes I wonder whether those kids have the right idea. They get in and get out again while they're still finding enjoyment from it. It's not like these shows have some deeper layer to them that you'll only understand if you've seen a bunch of previous entries.

I don't think there's a solution to it that works for everyone. Personally, I often find that after a while some weird form of FOMO drives me to catch up.

I often find that keeping things varied is a good way to keep my hand in toku. Jumping between franchises and eras stops things becoming too much of a repetitive grind. Recently, I've been checking out Guyferd (from the 90s) and the new subs of Japanese Spiderman (from the 70s) and it's different enough to the currently releasing stuff that it feels pretty fresh again.

Skipping/dropping shows if they don't interest you is fine. Taking an extended break is fine. Ultimately, this is supposed to be entertainment, not homework.

I don't know if I would consider myself a diehard fan of Rider. I have vast knowledge of it but I know folks that have watched every single show, possible online. But I get what you mean. 9 years is a long time of devotion. When I started watching Fourze and Kamen Rider in general, it was fresh and different from Super Sentai (who prior I had already followed along with Power Rangers). I thought the Heisei Phase 1 era offered a lot of distinction compared to Phase 2. It's just a tough grind. The real demographic are kids and frankly what you said makes sense from a kids' perspective. I don't think Toei expects all kids aged 4-9 for example to be watching Kamen Rider every year. It's more like what can this year's hero offer to the demographic and whether or not kids are willing to spend the money on toys. Hence why the kids don't know what difference between Decade or Fourze, despite only a 3 year gap. They bank on wave after wave of new kids to get into whichever the current Rider series is.

I still will still be around and keep tabs on the news. It's just a year off but will do much good right now. Also thanks Toku Prime for keeping this site active. You're basically like a mod at this point, making all the posts. The other folks on here are great too.

D

Dr Kain

And I think that is actually where Toei is failing. They're banking on a younger audience when they should actully be trying to recapture the older ones or growing their shows up with their current generation, not regressing as they have been. Look at the Sentai series in the 80s and 90s. They didn't shy away from monsters being able to kill people. They didn't hide behind a facade that people can never be hurt. Everything was fantasy, they did silly gags for kids, but the stories still had a sense that the heroes and those they protect could be killed by the villains.

These days, they write the heroes as if they know they are the heroes of their own story and can accomplish anything they want, so they don't even have to bother trying. The villains would rather lounge around or dance than actually harm anyone. And when they do attack people, there is no real damage as it's undone as soon as their monster is defeated. There's no sense of suspense anymore because no one is ever in any real danger.

That was one of the things that I loved about Zero-One is that there was still a sense of danger going on. WHile we expected Aruto to be all right in the end, the show traversed unexpected pathways. We didn't see him ever nearly becoming the villain of the show until it happened. Then there was the battle of, "Well he is obviously going to undo it, but what if they are expecting us to have him undo it and don't undo it?" And as the episode count diminished, Aruto was still Ark-One.