Stephen Hawking says afterlife is a fairy story

Renowned physicist Stephen Hawking recently explained his belief that there is no God and that humans should therefore seek to live the most valuable lives they can while on Earth.

Guardian writer Ian Sample asked Hawking if he feared death in a story published yesterday. This was his response:

I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years. I'm not afraid of death, but I'm in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first. I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark.

Hawking's 1988 book "A Brief History of Time" sold 9 million copies, and in it Hawking referenced God metaphorically as the force that could fully explain the creation of the universe.

But in 2010, Hawking told Diane Sawyer that "science will win" in a battle with religion "because it works."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110516/us_yblog_thelookout/stephen-hawking-says-afterlife-is-a-fairy-story#mwpphu-container
I have nothing to say...I'm speechless....:redface2:

NateRiver

Welcome
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn7-fVtT16k&"]YouTube - Einstein vs Stephen Hawking -Epic Rap Battles of History #7[/ame]

Stephen Hawking says a lot of things.
This. And Stephen's usually right...but this is said with no scientific basis at all, other than, "You can't prove there is an afterlife", which is wholly meaningless to me, and argues off a basis that I would have no business arguing off to begin with.

CPS

Um..no. :redface2:

His comments are totally outrageous! :redface2:
Which is more outrageous: There's an alternate world where your mind is saved and experiences nothing but happiness or that you're nothing but a wetware computer?

Seriously, pick your words more wisely.

Mr G

Fighting evil makes me thirsty
I have nothing to say...I'm speechless....:redface2:
It's just an opinion, SK. Some people are atheists you know.

It's not surprising that Hawking would have this opinion. I mean the man is a genius. He's not going to believe something that cannot be proven and is based on that flimsy term of faith.

Undrave

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
SK, wisely picking words? No way, that would demand effort and thus would mean he respects us enough to write properly.

This is another one in the long line of SK thread where he links to some story that offends his sensibility and then proclame "NO WAI! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! THIs IS OUTRAGEOUS!" and doesn't provide any meaningful conversation or arguments. We get it SK, sometimes stuff makes you angry, no need for a thread if you don't have any meaningful conversation to spring for it. Beside discussing religion is a big no-no around here.

A day at the office at HJU.

CPS

I'm not going to say a word anymore. :redface2:

I'm not happy man as of tonight.
Give it hour or so. You'll end up writing off all his major accomplishments as flukes and considering him a lucky dumbass (aside from his disability). Cognitive dissonance is amazing like that.

Mastodon