...Okay, I know someone's probably going to smack me for not getting this, but why is there a non-Jango clone in a Storm Trooper suit? I was under the impression that the Storm Troopers in the old trilogy are just the Clone Troopers(Who are probably the best thing to come out of the new trilogy IMO, especially in the CGI cartoon. I just like them.) from the new trilogy with a new name and design to go along with the shift from Republic to Empire, is that not the case?

I do believe some Storm Troopers are just rehashed clones, but it was established somewhere that the Empire opened its ranks and was actively recruiting people to become Storm Troopers. I don't remember where, but it was stated at some point. I believe it was Rebels that said at one point that a lot of the clones were taken out of commission after Order 66.

Digital Artist
Not bad teaser trailer. Nothing much was given away. Just some interesting shots and really like the guy with the red lightsaber scene. I still can't believe a new Star Wars is being made and we are one year away from it.

OK let's take this one step at a time

Cryptic and vague narration is cryptic and vague.

Did they really just turn a black guy entering the frame into a jump scare? Poor John Boyega. I'm sure he's a lovely guy really.

Is that a droid on top of a ball, or is the ball part of the droid?

OK so the shots of storm troopers in a landing shuttle are really where I realised that Abrams has performed the same visual makeover that he gave to Trek, and once again it looks AH-MAZE-ING!

Daisy Ridley in the desert on a bulky speederbike somehow gives me prequel trilogy vibes. Don't remind me of that!

OMG X-Wings have never looked that cool! Now I'm getting excited! And it sounds like they're using the original engine noises, which is a nice touch.

Generic Sith is generic. I almost wish he'd turned around and revealed himself to be Darth Maul :laugh: Hilt extensions would make sense for blocking other lightsabers, except if another blade slides down that particular 'saber it'll hit the emitter instead and go straight through. Weapon fail. Also, they've fiddled with the sound effect and it bugs me.

Falcon and theme tune and TIE Fighters and I've hit the ceiling!

Star Wars The Force Awakens? Are we dropping the "episode vii" part then?

December?! It's going to be a long 2015. But this is probably the most excited I've been for Star Wars since the build up started for the Phantom Menace. I just hope it doesn't shatter my hopes like that film did.

Heroes are forever
...Okay, I know someone's probably going to smack me for not getting this, but why is there a non-Jango clone in a Storm Trooper suit? I was under the impression that the Storm Troopers in the old trilogy are just the Clone Troopers(Who are probably the best thing to come out of the new trilogy IMO, especially in the CGI cartoon. I just like them.) from the new trilogy with a new name and design to go along with the shift from Republic to Empire, is that not the case?
As has been said, there used to be media that explained the empire was recruiting people. Notice Luke initially wants to go to the Imperial Academy in Episode IV. In that same film, there's a casual conversation between 2 Stormtroopers that starts with "You've seen that new VT-16?", doesn't strike me as the sort of thing disciplined clones would do.
Even though the source that stated the Empire was recruiting is probably relegated to Legends, it's probably still true. I haven't seen Rebels yet so IDK how much they've addressed that.

I mean, I've been told that the cross guard saber is an Expanded Universe thing, which also had a completely different explanation/interpretation of the Clone Wars, so maybe there's some retcons going on or am I just missing something?
No such thing anymore!

Did they really just turn a black guy entering the frame into a jump scare? Poor John Boyega. I'm sure he's a lovely guy really.
It didn't scare me. "Black guy" is certainly not the first thing that came to my mind. :laugh:

Also, they've fiddled with the sound effect and it bugs me.
It's probably the way in which he/she/it turned the lightsaber on, very brutal and aggresive, never seen anyone light it up like that. I don't think they completely changed the sounds but just added more to the library. The PT did that too, the Sith sometimes lit up their sabers in a hastier fashion than the Jedi and the ignition sound changed to reflect that. The familiar ignition sound is heard at the end of the trailer.

Star Wars The Force Awakens? Are we dropping the "episode vii" part then?
I'm concerned about this and the fact that it appears in the middle. Blasphemy.

It didn't scare me. "Black guy" is certainly not the first thing that came to my mind. :laugh:
Well 'jump scare' is just the name for when a character suddenly enters the screen with a loud musical sting. Even when used well in a horror film it's at best startling rather than scary. But the prequel films were dogged by a lot of "is Star Wars racist" debates and sadly I've heard that there's been a few trolls sharpening their claws in readyness, and I don't want the film to walk into that again. :disappoin (insert "it's a trap" meme reference here)

Anyway onto happier and more important questions, like will Leia sing her life day song again?
I'm concerned about this and the fact that it appears in the middle. Blasphemy.
lol that didn't bug me quite so much as there's a long history of licensees splitting the 'Star' and 'Wars' and putting individual titles in between.

300px-Empirestrikesback2.png

I kinda see it as a variation on that. Besides, I imagine the actual film will do the usual and put "Episode VII: The Force Awakens" at the start of the text crawl.

Last edited:
At least some fans are going to be happy that the Stormtroopers are going to be portrayed as an intimidating force instead of the bumbling fools in the original trilogy.

Heroes are forever
Well 'jump scare' is just the name for when a character suddenly enters the screen with a loud musical sting. Even when used well in a horror film it's at best startling rather than scary. But the prequel films were dogged by a lot of "is Star Wars racist" debates and sadly I've heard that there's been a few trolls sharpening their claws in readyness, and I don't want the film to walk into that again. :disappoin (insert "it's a trap" meme reference here)
Forget racism, the entirety of Star Wars movies are speciest. Too many human protagonists.

I kinda see it as a variation on that. Besides, I imagine the actual film will do the usual and put "Episode VII: The Force Awakens" at the start of the text crawl.
That's comforting to see.

At least some fans are going to be happy that the Stormtroopers are going to be portrayed as an intimidating force instead of the bumbling fools in the original trilogy.
They do seem to be making them more of a threat. I expect they won't be missing that much now. Ouch.

Oh, if this movie doesn't have a Wilhelm scream...

Lurker
According to Wookiepeida the Clone troops died out soon after the fall of the Jedi. This makes sense because they were artificially aged (unlike Boba who was left unaltered upon Jango's request).