Star Trek: The Next Generation Discussion Thread

Professionally Insane
What about the other characters on the show, like Riker, Geordi, Worf? They are all essentially the same characters, they got new jobs in season 2 but it just means they spit out different kinds of jargon. Data is the only character I can understand went through some kind of development. None of the adventures they go on each episode has any effect on their personal lives, and it's bad writing because in reality they would be constantly reacting and changing to what's happening around them.

In Babylon 5 for example, Londo Mollari is one of the most complex character's ever written. He starts as comedic relief, becomes an anti-hero, a full villain and finally a character out of Greek tragedy that becomes one of the saddest stories you've ever seen. I mean his character changes more than the entire cast of TNG does

Maybe Trek isn't for me...sorry if I sound like i'm attacking you, I just get overly passionate about these things lol

That's what an episodic series is like, the characters hardly change all that much, so people can jump in at any time and not get lost. Granted there is some changes that have affected some of the characters, mainly majority fan/ writer favorites. Then there are some characters they don't like and get shafted, welcome to world of Hollywood, MMPR. It happens. But Worf does get some development, thanks to Ronald D. Moore. Who was the one to flesh out the Klingon stuff a bit more for Worf, till moving on to DS9 and then continued on there when he was sent over to that show.

Is it bad writing though? Kind of, is it the writing staffs fault? Also kind of, but they were following certain guidelines that were laid down by Gene Roddenberry for TNG. DS9 and VOY and beyond were all not touched or influenced by Gene. So they could do something different, well... more so for DS9 than VOY. Voyager kind of reverted to that kind of episodic format in more ways then one. With little changes to characters here and there.

Now, could have they just said to hell with it and done things different? Sure they could have. Why didn't they? Maybe they didn't out of respect for Gene? Or maybe it was just the way it worked back then? Who knows the real reason why they didn't drastically change the way the show worked?

Either way, there's no way to go back in time and change it. So if you don't like it, then don't watch it. Simple as that. Though personally, even though it's episodic and doesn't play out as a serial, doesn't make it a bad show. It can make you feel, it can make you think, and it is still what Star Trek is about.

Last edited:
Read my smart post
Yeah, I think my problem is just with the episodic nature, it's just not for me. I will try DS9 eventually because it's supposed to be more serialized, and I have noticed most hardcore Trek fans say it's the best series anyways. Ronald Moore was one of the important creators on the show right? That guys a genius

BTW, I have always wanted to watch Babylon 5, but it is one of those shows I've just never gotten around to. I'm currently watching Battlestar Galactica (the 2003 series) and enjoying it very much.

AAAh, the 2003 Battlestar is fantastic, loved every second, what are your thoughts on it?

Babylon 5 is also amazing, truly revolutionary, it's a crime it's not syndicated or on Netflix. Warner Brothers owns the rights to the show and they have literally kept it locked up in their vault and refused anyone to touch it.

Fighting evil makes me thirsty
AAAh, the 2003 Battlestar is fantastic, loved every second, what are your thoughts on it?

Babylon 5 is also amazing, truly revolutionary, it's a crime it's not syndicated or on Netflix. Warner Brothers owns the rights to the show and they have literally kept it locked up in their vault and refused anyone to touch it.
I'm really, really digging it so far. I'm nearly finished with the first season and it has been so incredibly tense. It seems as though hell could break loose any second on any episode. Of course, at this point I'm still wondering what endgame the Cylons have in mind. I am absolutely going to finish it, but I am somewhat wary of the ending. I have heard that the finale is somewhat disappointing. Even if that's so it shouldn't detract from the ride leading up to the end. :thumbs:

Yeah, I'm kind of bummed that Babylon 5 has never made it to Netflix or any other streaming service. Amazon has all of the seasons for about $150...but I have to really love a series to pay that much for it.

EDIT: Looking at the price for Babylon 5 again...it's actually not too bad. If you buy the seasons individually then the price is a more reasonable $75 ~ $80. That may be doable.