Back in 1993, Tsuburaya Productions, the creators of the Ultraman franchise, created a non-Ultra toku show called Denkou Choujin Gridman. The show is currently available with subtitles on TOKU and Amazon Prime. However, it's probably best remembered for being adapted by DiC Entertainment into Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad (yes, that's 'Syber' with an 's') in an attempt to cash in on the Power Rangers fad.

Roll on fifteen years, and it's back in the form of an anime 'reimagining'! No it's not a reboot - the story is very different. Although yes, the "SSSS" in the title is a nod to the American adaptation of the original. Studio Trigger previously created the Gridman short for the Japan Animator Expo project. Voice actor Hikaru Midorikawa, who provided the voice of Gridman in the original toku, has returned to reprise the role again.

Also, it seems that the staff working on this show are massive Transformers fans, and a large proportion of the characters have colour-schemes and clothing details that pay homage to various (often really obscure) Autobots and Decepticons.

Along with simulcasting, Funimation is doing a dub simulcast. You can watch the show on their website for free at the moment, so to anyone interested, you may want to do that now before it gets put behind a paywall or before it gets released on DVD/Bluray. From what I've heard, Funimation is doing a deal with Sony, and that's part of the reason why they were able to bring us SSSS.Gridman; and why they've pulled out of their partnership with Crunchyroll. But that's just what I've heard. I can't confirm.

Speaking of Ultraman, for those who don't know, Crunchyroll is losing the rights to some of the Ultraman titles they had on their service. I sure hope a legal alternative pops up soon.

I hadn't heard about it helping them to get Gridman, but the company that owns Funimation has sold it to Sony.
Crunchyroll on the other hand, is a subsidiary (of a subsidiary of a subsidiary) of Warner. So they're both tiny outposts of rival empires now, hence their partnership being canned.

I believe the American TV channel TOKU, which was already showing some Ultra shows and the Gridman toku, has said on twitter that they've taken on Ultraman Leo. It's been vaguely implied that they're also trying to get hold of the other Ultra series that Crunchyroll just lost.

It's Missing the Dragon Routine...will it be Akane or Rikka?

...and Skorn...I mean Anti turned into Hunter Knight Tsurugi