Staff member
If you enjoy Kingdom Hearts 3, but feel the battles are a tad on the easy side, Square has introduced a solution: Critical Mode, their word for the new "hard mode" introduced with the game's latest update.

In Critical Mode, Sora starts out with only half his maximum HP and MP, and the frequency of occasions in which he can unleash special attacks is lowered. You will no longer have the crutch of bashing Heartless in the face with a giant rocking ship whenever you want. BUT Sora won't be completely defenseless; he'll have "new abilities exclusive to this harder difficulty mode"....Square was not specific beyond that. You'll have to play for yourself to find out what they are.

More details in Square's press release below.

LOS ANGELES (Apr. 24, 2019) – Following the critically acclaimed launch earlier this year, KINGDOM HEARTS III continues to expand with a brand new update today. In this update, players can embark on–or relive–the adventure of a lifetime with Sora and friends in the all-new Critical Mode, an additional high-difficulty mode that will challenge players in their fight against the darkness.

Critical Mode will challenge even the most skilled Keyblade wielder to be more tactical as they battle formidable foes. In this new mode:

• Maximum HP and MP are halved
  • The frequency of situation commands and magic is lowered
  • Sora can perform new abilities exclusive to this harder difficulty mode

Additionally, this update adds the feature for players to carry over their Keyblades to a new game. Keyblades that are carried over will return to their default strength, but through this optional feature, players can utilize Keyblades otherwise not obtained until later in the game from the beginning.

KINGDOM HEARTS III is available now for the Xbox One family of devices, including Xbox One X, and the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system. This title is rated E10+ (Everyone 10+). Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings. For more information on KINGDOM HEARTS III, visit KINGDOM HEARTS

I think I will try to have multiple playthroughs with standard mode before I will try a hard mode. I barely survived the first time I finished the standard mode! This would be a cool challenge after finishing the game for the first time.