Eye See You
shariban3%20(L).jpg

I remember when I was watching Gavan I was totally blown away at how a new hero would make a quick last minute cameo to help out the main hero of the show aswell as pass the torch for the following series. It was unheard of from the Tokusatsu I had seen at that point which Is why I'll always remember the shiny red suit of Sharivan. The Gavan finale was AMAZING but what made it even cooler was Sharivan.

I didn't know much about Hiroshi Watari back then either. He was in maybe 2-3 Gavan episodes and that was it. But fast forward to now and this is something that I'm pumped to watch being a fan of Hiroshi and all the stuff he did in Juspion, Spielban, and hell even that brief cameo in Boukenger. He's da' man.

I heard Sharivan is the best of the 3 Space Sheriffs and has the best storyline. Just knowing that Hiroishi will be the main hero I know this won't dissapoint.

Would like to change his avatar
If you liked Gavan's finale, it's nothing compared to Sharivan's -- you should really enjoy it.

What I liked about Sharivan was that the villains had a bit more personality than the Maku (Mitsuo Andou's character is pretty cool, he joins later).

I still think Watari's far cooler as Boomerang and Spielban, though. He still seemed a bit green to me in the acting department in Sharivan.

Eye See You
Completed the first 2 Volumes.

There were several Gavan cameos, 3 were from Headquarters and 1 episodes had in some action helping out a trapped Dan/Sharivan. Very awesome team work.

The fight scenes are TOP NOTCH. It's been awhile since I got to see some Space Sheriff stuff and I completely forgot how awesome it was. Although the fight scenes are at times a bit "unrealistic" I personally believe they are the most action packed in all of Tokusatsu. As soon as one begins I just sit there glued to my portable DVD player until it's done.

Hiroshi Watari does some amazing fighting in this so far aswell. I'd even say better fighting than he did as Boomeranger and Spielban. I sometimes paused during a big "spot" (wrestling termonology here) just to see if Hiroshi actually did the stunt and it was always him 100%. Shougo, do you know if Hiroshi did the in suit stunts for Sharivan aswell?.

The subtitles are about a 7/10 as some mispelled words show up aswell as different names. For example, The main villian is PSYCHO but the subs show it as Sago, and Sharivan is spelled Shaliban lol. The subtitles make sense but sometimes you need to think about it for a second. Still better than watching it raw.

The actor from Jiban was also in episode 5. There is just something about that dude that I don't like. I don't know what it is either. :disappoin

Man, from beginning to end Hiroshi is on fire. :buttrock:

Would like to change his avatar
Forever Knight said:
I sometimes paused during a big "spot" (wrestling termonology here) just to see if Hiroshi actually did the stunt and it was always him 100%.

That's the beauty of having actors from the JAC in the main roles. :buttrock:

Shougo, do you know if Hiroshi did the in suit stunts for Sharivan aswell?.

Not really, only in episode 21 (for some reason) and the finale. Despite being JAC, they never really let their stars do suit work, I'm guessing because of scheduling conflicts (Kenji Ooba only did Gavan's in-suit work for the first few episodes of that series and then it went to the regular stuntman).

Eye See You
Oh man, the storyline is really picking up here.

So it is revealed that Dan/Sharivan is actually from another Galaxy and his people migrated to Earth with the Iga Crystal which has great power. So Dan was raised on Earth thinking he was an Earthling.

When he helped Gavan and was injured and sent to Star Bird Planet, the Doctor's there checked his blood type and found out he was from the Iga Planet (?) which was one of the reasons along with his courage as to why he was chosen to become Sharivan.

Am I right on the money here? The subtitles were whack from time to time. So I just wanna make sure I got this right.

Super Moderator
I've been curious about the Space Sheriff series since I like the Uchu Keiji concept and suit designs. I had often heard though that the series were repetative and that I should just skip to Spielban. When I got the vol. 1 HK of Gavan this kinda seemed to be the case. BUT there was still some solid full-blast action stunts going on and I dug that. Also Kenji Oba is just fun guy to watch playing a toku hero. He can do the action, he's got presence, and a great sense of humor IMO.

I like having a sense of history about things and I try to change gears when watching older toku because theres the simple difference in format. Episodic vs. over-arching plotline. For example I don't watch anymore than two eps. a day of an older toku because I don't think it's fair to watch the same way you would a newer Rider show where you go through huge chunks of it because you're following the over-arching plot. The episodic format was made to give you the most bang for your buck once a week.

How does Sharivan stack up in terms of varying things from episode to episode? Does it still have the Maku-space thing going on?

Eye See You
How does Sharivan stack up in terms of varying things from episode to episode? Does it still have the Maku-space thing going on?

Yes. As does Shaider and Spielban too.

Sharivan does have the repetiveness that Gavan had but that is just from episode to episode. Once the arcs begin to kick in that's when things get really interesting which is the case of Sharivan right now for me.

If you can get over the repetitive feel then you'll enjoy the show even more, imo.

When i first watched Gavan in 2004 I found myself bored at times because of that but now after watching a good amount of other toku shows, with Sharivan I find myself really enjoying this style mainly due to the seriousness and amazing fighting and action. It's definatley the action that makes The Space Sheriff's so special.

I had often heard though that the series were repetative and that I should just skip to Spielban.

Don't you mean Juspion, since that's not a Space Sheriff series? (At least, I don't think.)

I like having a sense of history about things and I try to change gears when watching older toku because theres the simple difference in format. Episodic vs. over-arching plotline. For example I don't watch anymore than two eps. a day of an older toku because I don't think it's fair to watch the same way you would a newer Rider show where you go through huge chunks of it because you're following the over-arching plot. The episodic format was made to give you the most bang for your buck once a week.

I never looked at it that way. Thanks. I'm going to try watching what I have of Black and the rest of Shaider (only made it up to 10) that way and see if it makes a difference.

Eye See You
Lily is sexy.

And Soga M. is in episode 22. I swear, this Woman is in every series. Truly a legend.